Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Detective Special Questions

Site Supporter

Colt Detective Special Questions

As noted in another thread, I recently picked up a DS and got it working. My example has some peculiarities.

Mine came with Pachmayr Compac grips, which add some space behind the back strap which I need, but have a recessed pinky grip on the bottom which causes the gun to aim high when I present it from the holster. I've got Spegel Boot + grips on my K and L frames and this doesn't happen with them. Suggested grips to alleviate this?

When it's time to dump the empties, there's no "turn the muzzle vertical and whack the ejector rod" because the cylinder release latch is also part of the recoil shield and blocks one or two of the case rims unless the cylinder is positioned just right. Was there a modification back in the day when speedloaders were in common usage? It seems that machining away part of the latch to permit the case rims to clear it would be simple, and wouldn't expose the ammo's primer.

Thanks!

@Bruce Cartwright

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    As noted in another thread, I recently picked up a DS and got it working. My example has some peculiarities.

Mine came with Pachmayr Compac grips, which add some space behind the back strap which I need, but have a recessed pinky grip on the bottom which causes the gun to aim high when I present it from the holster. I've got Spegel Boot + grips on my K and L frames and this doesn't happen with them. Suggested grips to alleviate this?

When it's time to dump the empties, there's no "turn the muzzle vertical and whack the ejector rod" because the cylinder release latch is also part of the recoil shield and blocks one or two of the case rims unless the cylinder is positioned just right. Was there a modification back in the day when speedloaders were in common usage? It seems that machining away part of the latch to permit the case rims to clear it would be simple, and wouldn't expose the ammo's primer.

Thanks!
    @Bruce Cartwright
    The grips you have are very likely to be the best option for that gun. Are you sure it is the grip causing you to aim high? My Detective Special shoots about 12” above the top of the front sight at 25 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Revchuck38:

In answer to question #1: Without observing you shoot, it is hard to say, but I don't think the type of stocks that are on the gun would affect the point of impact. That said, you may want to shoot the gun off a bench with a solid sandbag rest to establish a zero with your Colt. It has been my experience that most folks would benefit from doing this, so they know exactly where their gun is zeroed. Snub revolvers/fixed sight revolvers are harder to zero than adjustable sighted guns (but not impossible). I want to know exactly where my guns shoot at a given range.

In answer to Question #2: I do not use Colt revolvers for a variety of reasons and so I have not observed the cylinder latch interfering with the ejection of fired cases. The limited number of times I fired Colt revolvers, I never observed any interference with the ejection of cases. One thing I would check is to verify that the cylinder yoke actually opens to its limit of travel, which is generally 90 degrees. Put another way, when you open the cylinder of your Colt, the yoke (portion of the mechanism that attaches the cylinder to the revolver frame) should be able to move 90 degrees from the closed position. If the yoke does not open to the 90-degree position, you may get interference with the ejection of cases by the cylinder latch. I have seen revolvers that have the travel of cylinder yokes obstructed for one reason or another (usually dirt/rust), so it is worth checking.

If you are able to post photographs of the revolver during the ejection process, that would be helpful. Hopefully this helps.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Site Supporter
    I had a 1970 DS for several years that I enjoyed. Very accurate, easy to shoot gun.

I suggest that you try different bullets and bullet weights from a solid bench to see what hits closest to POA.

I would have liked Compacs on mine, but settled for a rubber Hogue monogrip, which worked well.

Decided to go all S&W for my revolvers, and actually have Compacs on my 60-9 that work very well.

I had a 1972 DS, 3rd series with the shrouded barrel. The Colt had the factory wood grips made for that issue of DS. The gun shot 3 FEET high at 25 yards with 158 LSWCs. It was my dedicated backup gun and it was a beautiful specimen of a Colt DS. Never could get it to shoot poa/poi. Sold it. I found out much later that the 3rd issue ejector rod shrouded models' front sight was TOO SHORT. Colt's cure was to put the sight in a vise and squeeze it and make it taller. Wish I would have known that, then. Found that out on the internet on the Colt forum. Hope this helps. My current carry the new Colt Night Cobra and the 3" King Cobra shoot right on the money. Can you say fixed sight Nirvana!

Site Supporter
    The shiny ramp extending all the way from the frame to the end of the barrel is probably among the worst front sight designs ever developed within the limits of post front, notch rear sights.

I tried an Eagle Secret Service grip with my gun, but found that despite accommodating only 2 fingers, it was not significantly smaller than the Colt-branded Pachmayr Compaq grip. The Pachmayr grip does a nice job of balancing small size with maximized gripping area.

As between the best available grip and worst available sight, the sight is the likely source of the problem.

I think Bruce is onto the answer,...unless you arent holding the cylinder fully out when ejecting empties. The cylinder has to be held firmly fully out when hitting the ejector rod.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Re: the ejection of empties, when the cylinder is all the way out as far as it can go, hard against the milled stop on the crane, the cylinder latch covers the edge of the rims. It doesn't do that on my Official Police.

When I take my time and align the sights correctly, vertical POI is just about perfect with 158s at seven yards offhand, though it hits a hair left. The high hits only appear when I push the speed from the holster. Numrich has a set of Pachmayr Presentation grips, and I can get Hogues too. I have Hogues on my J frames and they work, I'll probably go that route.

I wonder if its got a cylinder release from a larger frame gun in it?

Do you have any pictures?

This is what it should look like, cyl closed and open.

Name:  Agent cyl rear 1.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  Agent cyl rear 2.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  44.4 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-12-2022 at 10:01 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Re: the ejection of empties, when the cylinder is all the way out as far as it can go, hard against the milled stop on the crane, the cylinder latch covers the edge of the rims. It doesn't do that on my Official Police.

When I take my time and align the sights correctly, vertical POI is just about perfect with 158s at seven yards offhand, though it hits a hair left. The high hits only appear when I push the speed from the holster. Numrich has a set of Pachmayr Presentation grips, and I can get Hogues too. I have Hogues on my J frames and they work, I'll probably go that route.
    Revchuck:

One thing that helps me when I shoot fixed sight revolvers, is to paint the front sight with blaze orange model paint. I apply a coat of white as a base, then apply a coat or two of orange. As I get older, I have a hard time distinguishing the front sight in a shallow trough style rear. The bright paint helps. I force myself to "bury' the front sight in the trough and it has helped. When correctly aligned, it amazes me how little of the front sight is visible. I still prefer adjustable sights, but adjustable sights and J frame revolvers don't make much sense to me. The painted front sight, especially at speed allows you to confirm that the top of the "orange" is even with the top of the trough. You can try it and if it doesn't work to your liking a bit scrubbing with a brass/bronze bristle brush can remove the paint. Shooting fixed sight revolvers at speed is becoming more difficult for me because the sights are harder to see. The solution is either adjustable sighted revolvers or shotguns....
    Let us know how you make out.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I wonder if its got a cylinder release from a larger frame gun in it?

Do you have any pictures?

This is what it should look like, cyl closed and open.

Name:  Agent cyl rear 1.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  Agent cyl rear 2.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  44.4 KB
    Malamute:

Thanks for posting a photo of your Colt D frame. If Revchuck38's cylinder is fully open as depicted in the photos of your revolver, then he may very well have a side plate from a bigger gun. Good catch.
    Neat looking Colt by the way. From the apparent blue wear, I suspect it has ridden in a lot of pockets and may have an interesting story or two associated with it.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

User Tag List