Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal .38 Gold Medal wadcutter is currently available direct from Federal. $1/rd

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Please do post your findings.
    Will do.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by R89074 View Post
    www.normashooting.com has 38 special 158 grain FMJ $26.99/50 if you order over $150 free shipping up for emails get 10% on first order.
    Not a great price but at least some 38 available.
    I checked Federal site 130 grain FMJ $36.99/50

How is the quality of that ammo?

The "range and training" ammo is $23.99/50 and the "self defense" is $30.52/50.

The 23.99 is not great but it beats what I've paid lately.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

Norma has always made good ammo.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Not trying to thread drift, but a $1.00 a round makes me wonder why more people don't reload? I know that Federal GM is great ammo, but I can't imagine paying a dollar a round for .38 Spl. Even if you don't want to get a full set up, .38 Spl. can be easily made by the 100's with a Lee Hand Press. For folks that got caught behind the curve, now is a good time to learn, stock up on components, and start making your own ammo as components become available.

I have several press, but use the often default to the hand press when my wife wants me to spend more time in the house. By spreading it out over several days, it is no problem to load up 2 to 3 hundred rounds in a week. I reload in the kitchen and cook at the same time.

Anyways, I can't wait for all this craziness to end so we can shoot and train at will.

Now back to Federal GM at least being available.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    Not trying to thread drift, but a $1.00 a round makes me wonder why more people don't reload? I know that Federal GM is great ammo, but I can't imagine paying a dollar a round for .38 Spl. Even if you don't want to get a full set up, .38 Spl. can be easily made by the 100's with a Lee Hand Press. For folks that got caught behind the curve, now is a good time to learn, stock up on components, and start making your own ammo as components become available.

I have several press, but use the often default to the hand press when my wife wants me to spend more time in the house. By spreading it out over several days, it is no problem to load up 2 to 3 hundred rounds in a week. I reload in the kitchen and cook at the same time.

Anyways, I can't wait for all this craziness to end so we can shoot and train at will.

I couldn’t afford to shoot as much as I do in the best of times if I didn’t reload.

That said, it’s not a great time to start. Components are hard to come by and pricey. From what I’ve seen, primers are going for 250-300% over pre-panic prices.

Back on topic, I just bought 250 rounds of GMM WCs from GrabAGun for roughly 81-cents apiece (before tax & shipping).

Arrived next day (they’re semi-local to me.)

This isn’t practice ammo for me. It’s my carry load.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    IME, the Federal version (the only one I've chronographed) went just over 700 fps from my 6" M14. I'll check the Geco from my M49 when I get it.
    The Federal 148 wadcutter chonographed 607 fps from a 442 and 656 fps from a 4" Model 10.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post

Any concerns about having loading components in the food prep area?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post

I bought 10 boxes of the fmj a few weeks ago. It works, reasonable accuracy and fairly clean. Recoil is noticeably more than AE or Win 130 gr.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Kind of a leading statement, isn't it?

(It had occurred to me as well, @GJM.)
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not really. Keep things separate and clean. Now bullets or burritos?

User Tag List