Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal .38 Gold Medal wadcutter is currently available direct from Federal. $1/rd

Grabagun has them, $40.99 for a 50-round box:

https://grabagun.com/ammo/handgun-am...c-50-1000.html

Quote Originally Posted by R89074 View Post
    www.normashooting.com has 38 special 158 grain FMJ $26.99/50 if you order over $150 free shipping up for emails get 10% on first order.
    Not a great price but at least some 38 available.
    I checked Federal site 130 grain FMJ $36.99/50
    Thanks great tip. That's a good looking .38 flat point at healthy velocity. Grabbed a few boxes. Their 9mm FMJ was decent for the times too. Thanks again.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Thanks great tip. That's a good looking .38 flat point at healthy velocity. Grabbed a few boxes. Their 9mm FMJ was decent for the times too. Thanks again.
    They also ship from Georgia so you will have them in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

That's better than $50.00/box, but I'm still glad I bought my moulds so I can cast my own. I realize there's a difference between factory ammo and handloads, but times are still tough.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

Great tip thanks! Ordered some more!

Just got 2 boxes of GECO 148gr WC from Miwall for like 97.00. The S&H is what drove the price up to full on ludicrous levels.

The Geco is IMO the best WC for defense because it's coming out at over 800fps. Some of the other WC rds only do a 'rated' low 600fps.

The two best IMO are the Win. Super Extra & the GECO.

I've found GECO to be a very good mfg of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnywitt View Post
    Just got 2 boxes of GECO 148gr WC from Miwall for like 97.00. The S&H is what drove the price up to full on ludicrous levels.

The Geco is IMO the best WC for defense because it's coming out at over 800fps. Some of the other WC rds only do a 'rated' low 600fps.

The 148 @ 800 likely has more recoil than GD 135 SB so it kinda defeats the purpose. (Assuming 2 legged critters)

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    That's a good looking .38 flat point at healthy velocity.
    The Geco is IMO the best WC for defense because it's coming out at over 800fps.
    European handgun ammo may be tested from a 5.9" barrel.

https://geco-ammunition.com/en/services/faq
    This is due to specific requirements imposed by the C.I.P. – the standardisation institute for ammunition. These regulations specify standardised barrel lengths of 150 mm for handgun calibres. This is why the values for different firearms (e.g. lever-action guns with long barrel, or revolver with cylinder gap and short barrel) may vary, sometimes considerably.

Site Supporter

I've got some of this coming from Miwall. Have you chronographed this stuff or are you just going by advertised velocity?

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    European handgun ammo may be tested from a 5.9" barrel.

https://geco-ammunition.com/en/services/faq
    This is due to specific requirements imposed by the C.I.P. – the standardisation institute for ammunition. These regulations specify standardised barrel lengths of 150 mm for handgun calibres. This is why the values for different firearms (e.g. lever-action guns with long barrel, or revolver with cylinder gap and short barrel) may vary, sometimes considerably.
    IME, the Federal version (the only one I've chronographed) went just over 700 fps from my 6" M14. I'll check the Geco from my M49 when I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    IME, the Federal version (the only one I've chronographed) went just over 700 fps from my 6" M14. I'll check the Geco from my M49 when I get it.
    Please do post your findings.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List