Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: RFI: budget cold weather gear in 2022

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I went ahead and ordered a few things to play with since I'm a little under the gun now. They say "free returns" so I tried to err on the side over over-buying (although now that I write this it occurs to me that I didn't order multiple sizes, which I usually like to do...)
    Cool. I don't have any of those, looking forward to your feedback.

The pants are GTG if you do any more shopping.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    1. You work hard for the money...buy what you like.

2. It is quality merch and hits the intersection of outdoor function and fashion.

3. I like the Arcteryx meets Carhartt vibe very much

4 The bi-directional zipper is always a value add, particularly in accessing the waist line is desirable. (I just saw that the liner of your 3-1 has a bi directional zipper as well.)

5. I suspect there is a spray for that shell which would help it shed some water if you were really that concerned. It does not sound like your mission (s) need to be "waterproof", just water resistant.

6. That 3 in 1 set with a decent set of gloves/hat/scarf would likely be a 95% solution 95% of the time.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 02-14-2022 at 05:36 PM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I went ahead and ordered a few things to play with since I'm a little under the gun now. They say "free returns" so I tried to err on the side over over-buying (although now that I write this it occurs to me that I didn't order multiple sizes, which I usually like to do...)

got this as a "shell" even though I realize it's not fully waterproof, etc. They still list it as an outer. While not "professional" looking, it's also not "ski-slope" looking. Things I like (conceptually, but also based on other experiences in the past) are the bi-directional main zipper, the snaps on the cuffs instead of velcro, the shock cord at the waist, the vertical chest pockets...
    SKOGSÖ JACKET M

Got this as one liner option. Note lack of hood, which I wanted due to concerns around double-hooding.
    EXPEDITION X-LÄTT JACKET M

got this as another liner option, in grey. This one I feel like will be pretty passable as "professional" looking, keeping in mind that it's still the construction industry. At least it doesn't look all "ski-y" and doesn't look too "outdoorsy".
    ÖVIK FLEECE ZIP SWEATER M

and finally, got this 3-in-1 even though I know that concept is "wrong" (like buying knife sets) in modern opinion. I liked the look of the outer coat well enough to risk it. Price is high but then again if it all works out I'm in for $550 for everything which the above combos all add up to around that as standalone pieces anyway. Main concern here is that the liner doesn't really look like something I'd want to wear by itself much, certainly not for work, but maybe the shell alone will be passable in that situation.
    VISBY 3 IN 1 JACKET M
    All of the above arrived yesterday, and I tried it on just now. The good news is that it’s all the right size, and all fits, and the three separates even all work together if I wanted to triple-up. Also, all three pieces have bi-directional zippers which is awesome. All three offer the aesthetic I was hoping for as well, with the fleece looking very sweater-y and possibly suitable for work environments. The collar also lays flat nicely which was a concern for me.

No real bad news to report, other than a couple of oddities….
    1) I forgot about Europeans and their habit of putting girl zippers on everything. So the zippers pull with the left hand and not the right. Not a deal breaker, but awfully goddamn annoying at least at first. Particularly with the double zipper setup.
    2) can’t tell if it’s a subset of #1 or not, but the zipper on the fleece so far is a little difficult. I am hoping it just breaks in and I get used to using the satan hand for the operation.
    3) I was hoping the fleece had some interior pockets. It does not. Again not a deal breaker just something to consider when wearing just that one jacket.
    4) the shell has zero insulation of its own. Which is ok just not entirely expected. The waxed canvas material is really neat though and unlike the fleece it has a TON of well placed pockets.

Generally speaking I’m happy with all.

Strangely enough, the 3-in-1 is huge. Everything o ordered was a large, but this thing is voluminous. Maybe the idea is that you’d already have a ton of bulk on underneath. Idk. Either way it’s for sure going back as the other pieces are way better both individually and collectively.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

well, looks like I'll be packing all of the clothes.. Denver is currently projecting a high of 8 and low o3 -3 on Tuesday, with PM snow. Wednesday we get up to 13, and Thursday 24!
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

You should do fine with that array of gear. Bring a beanie (if you can get a fleece-lined one, great, they do work better), a basic wool or acrylic scarf or a buff for your neck, and some half-decent wool socks.

Welcome to our world!

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 9.15.36 PM.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  58.2 KB
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List