Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: RFI: budget cold weather gear in 2022

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Rob S- A primer from Beyond re how their layers work

https://beyondclothing.com/pages/system-builder

While the answer to your question is yes ish, If I needed to cut wind/rain with that L6 jacket, I would be far more likely to put it over some kind of insulated puffy which is likely to be far warmer and lighter that your linked i.e. this reversible L3 layer.
    https://beyondclothing.com/collectio...39633443323966
    I was looking at the older version of that puffy, although it’s gone in my size, but it brings up something else I don’t quite follow…

Hoods inside hoods? Presumably they are designed to work together in some way? It just seems cumbersome when the hoods are down?

Maybe this is another stupid Floridian question…

Unfortunately I don’t even really have a place here to go and try on any quantity of this stuff. There’s an REI but last year when I was doing something similar to this they had like 10 coats in stock. Not ten different models, ten coats. There’s a Peter Glenn that (once you get past the dickhead salesdorks…IF you can get past…) has a similar selection issue.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

The relative simplicity of the aesthetic, plus relatively low cost ($260 total) of these two appeals to me

This
    https://beyondclothing.com/products/...ralight-hoodie

Over this
    https://beyondclothing.com/products/...d-liner-jacket
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    No one has recommended PataGucci, yet? Most people around here, SF Bay Area, wear tons of Patagonia gear to the snow.
    I have some, nothing wrong with it, fit template is a little different, and I'm less familiar. Their mil/Berry line has some neat stuff in it, but isn't available commercially.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I was looking at the older version of that puffy, although it’s gone in my size, but it brings up something else I don’t quite follow…

Hoods inside hoods? Presumably they are designed to work together in some way? It just seems cumbersome when the hoods are down?
    They nest with minimal bulk, some pieces stow, but if hoods annoy you you'll want to keep an eye on that.

Maybe this is another stupid Floridian question… Unfortunately I don’t even really have a place here to go and try on any quantity of this stuff. There’s an REI but last year when I was doing something similar to this they had like 10 coats in stock. Not ten different models, ten coats. There’s a Peter Glenn that (once you get past the dickhead salesdorks…IF you can get past…) has a similar selection issue.
    It really helps to try stuff on, especially if they have a line of stuff stocked that you can see interact.

The relative simplicity of the aesthetic, plus relatively low cost ($260 total) of these two appeals to me

This
    https://beyondclothing.com/products/...ralight-hoodie

Over this
    https://beyondclothing.com/products/...d-liner-jacket
    The ventum is ultralight (both jacket and pants) and primarily a wind layer. My ventum pants are like wearing pajama bottoms, or as close to not wearing pants as you can get. Same is true for the jacket. For your trip(s) I think it's probably light, think windbreaker. The clutch is okay, great liner, if you like the look as a standalone you might like it.

Using the import (K layer) line
    cool- modus + celeris, maybe a testa
    cold- prima lochi + primus or celeris (I've also used a dasche or dawa under a lochi for extra warmth)
    colder- aptus + primus, maybe celeris - adding a celeris to the aptus is really warm for me

ARX is a rain shell, the layers above pair well.

The US-made/Berry gear in the A layer line have some different features, but if you're wanting to save some $$ I'll omit those.

Also worth noting- Remember that this is tech gear, engineered to be light, packable, minimal bulk, and interactive sizing. It will feel and wear lighter/thinner than its function, so visuals can be tough to use. Some think you need big puffy jackets and coyote collars to be warm.

There are equivalent systems in Outdoor Research, Patagonia, North Face, etc. Same concept, different execution.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post

Using the import (K layer) line
    cool- modus + celeris, maybe a testa
    cold- prima lochi + primus or celeris (I've also used a dasche or dawa under a lochi for extra warmth)
    colder- aptus + primus, maybe celeris - adding a celeris to the aptus is really warm for me

ARX is a rain shell, the layers above pair well.
    So based on the above, I’m gathering that maybe I don’t “need” the rail shell at all?

So based on the above, I’m gathering that maybe I don’t “need” the rail shell at all?
    For your trip and in the interest of cost, I'd skip it. For Florida rains and storms, it would be excellent.

If you can stay warm today and tomorrow in FLA you will be able to stay warm in Denver.

yep, me again. Wife accidentally bought a men's medium Spyder ski coat that may be "mine" now, which reminded me of this thread and this topic which sent me looking again...

Would this
    https://beyondclothing.com/collectio...31782855180350

over this
    https://beyondclothing.com/collectio...31782882279486

be appropriate?

I may get the Velox anyway even if I'm "stuck" with the Spyder...

Probably gonna be an askhole and wind up ordering from here
    https://www.fjallraven.com/us/en-us

Aesthetics matter to me, particularly since my Immediate trip is for work, and future trips to cold climates would likely be for work (I wouldn’t really voluntarily opt for cold-climate travel), so some of what I’ve been seeing is just too “sporty” looking for my tastes. Fjäräven has a more clean aesthetic to a lot of their pieces that appeals to me.

Speaking of work trip, this is how Denver is looking next week. I’m expecting that I will not be outdoors much but, unfortunately, whatever outdoor time there is will likely be walking to bars after dark, so the colder periods.

Name:  3663ED33-2261-424B-8E8F-42B2891E7A57.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  25.3 KB

Probably gonna be an askhole and wind up ordering from here
    https://www.fjallraven.com/us/en-us
    Fjrallraven makes some good stuff. Which pieces are you looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Fjrallraven makes some good stuff. Which pieces are you looking at?
    I went ahead and ordered a few things to play with since I'm a little under the gun now. They say "free returns" so I tried to err on the side over over-buying (although now that I write this it occurs to me that I didn't order multiple sizes, which I usually like to do...)

got this as a "shell" even though I realize it's not fully waterproof, etc. They still list it as an outer. While not "professional" looking, it's also not "ski-slope" looking. Things I like (conceptually, but also based on other experiences in the past) are the bi-directional main zipper, the snaps on the cuffs instead of velcro, the shock cord at the waist, the vertical chest pockets...
    SKOGSÖ JACKET M

Got this as one liner option. Note lack of hood, which I wanted due to concerns around double-hooding.
    EXPEDITION X-LÄTT JACKET M

got this as another liner option, in grey. This one I feel like will be pretty passable as "professional" looking, keeping in mind that it's still the construction industry. At least it doesn't look all "ski-y" and doesn't look too "outdoorsy".
    ÖVIK FLEECE ZIP SWEATER M

and finally, got this 3-in-1 even though I know that concept is "wrong" (like buying knife sets) in modern opinion. I liked the look of the outer coat well enough to risk it. Price is high but then again if it all works out I'm in for $550 for everything which the above combos all add up to around that as standalone pieces anyway. Main concern here is that the liner doesn't really look like something I'd want to wear by itself much, certainly not for work, but maybe the shell alone will be passable in that situation.
    VISBY 3 IN 1 JACKET M

User Tag List