Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: budget cold weather gear in 2022

RFI: budget cold weather gear in 2022

This Florida boy is headed to Denver in February and Jackson in March. Others in these groups are skiing, I am not, and I’ll be largely in-town and indoors in Denver but likely wanting to do “outside things” in Jackson (walking around town, going on some sort of “expedition”, etc.).

I can do a lot of googling for “best cold weather gear”, and some of those results will even have “budget options”, but I prefer actual advice from people I “know”. Also, given the context of someone that’s been in SE FL for the last 20+ years that may be a little more sensitive to cold than someone venturing to these locales from NYC or Boston… or even Atlanta.

If it matters, I’m 6’-1”, 190lbs and while I’d love to say “I don’t care what it looks like” that’s just not true (particular,
    Ly for the Denver trip, which is semi-work-related) and I’m willing to pay a couple of extra shekels for something that looks presentable (I.e. “minimalist”) vs something cheaper that looks like a nascar.

My thought is that I probably don’t *need* anything special for Denver, but if I’m going to buy something for Jackson I might as well do it now and use it for Denver too.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    I'm also a warm weather guy, but when I travel to cold places I always take a good scarf. Having an adjustable "seal" around my neck gives me lots of options. Getting a little sweaty from the outdoor activities? Loosen up and let some heat out. Sort of like a gun belt with unlimited adjustments.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Shema.../dp/B00X31L2W8
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

For basic walking around without freezing…
    Layers and thickness are your friends. Basically, thick fuzzy stuff with a windproof shell over. It doesn’t have to be pretty. Fleece works well as insulation but needs a shell if there’s wind.
    You could also get a really cheap big puffy jacket. It’ll keep you warm but be heavier and not last as well as a more expensive one.
    Winter “work clothing”(Dickies, WearGuard, etc.) can be good inexpensive stuff that doesn’t look stupid.
    Feet: the loosest pair of boots you have, and thick wool socks that fit without being compressed. A thin liner sock can help with sweat. Allow wiggle room.
    Legs: I like lined pants in the winter. A cheaper option is probably generic synthetic long underwear under pants you already have.
    Torso: something wicking next to the skin, maybe a turtleneck, and then start adding warmth layers. A vest is good in the mix for better arm mobility. Some kind of shell.
    Head & neck: For me, keeping my neck warm makes a big difference. Turtleneck, scarf, or neck gaiter. Warm hat that covers the ears, usually multi-layer fleece or knit.
    Hands: mittens are the cheapest way to have warm fingers. Insulated work gloves are usually decent and cheap. Liners can boost warmth at low cost.

Cheap stuff usually works for warmth— it’s just heavier, bulkier, not as elegant and not as well made. Layering stuff you already own also works.

Instead of a scarf, I really like one of those 4-in-1 fleece hoods. Probably the best $10 I've ever spent on cold weather gear. It goes around my neck better than any scarf, I can pull it up over my head as a hood if my hat just isn't doing a good enough job, and I can cinch it up like a balaclava for those bitterly cold windy days; it's also thin enough to fit under my parka hood (that's right - on really cold days I have a hat, a fleece hood/balaclava, and my parka hood covering my head).

For coats, I still like the Land's End Squall Parka. It won't break the bank (@rob_s there's a sale on them ending today), and it works well with a sweatshirt and t-shirt underneath. It won't win any fashion awards, though; it's about as boring white-bread as you can get.

I still haven't found winter gloves I like and will keep my hands warm when the temps really plummet, but I picked up a pair of Seirus all-weather gloves that have worked pretty well on all but the worst days.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

As a general rule, any money you spend on Arcteryx is money well spent. For example, I have an Arcteryx hardshell I bought in 2002, hunted in for years, and despite being covered in blood multiple times, the jacket looks and performs as if new.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Edit: reread the OP and missed the “care how it looks” part.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    For basic walking around without freezing…
    Layers and thickness are your friends. Basically, thick fuzzy stuff with a windproof shell over. It doesn’t have to be pretty. Fleece works well as insulation but needs a shell if there’s wind.
    You could also get a really cheap big puffy jacket. It’ll keep you warm but be heavier and not last as well as a more expensive one.
    Winter “work clothing”(Dickies, WearGuard, etc.) can be good inexpensive stuff that doesn’t look stupid.
    Feet: the loosest pair of boots you have, and thick wool socks that fit without being compressed. A thin liner sock can help with sweat. Allow wiggle room.
    Legs: I like lined pants in the winter. A cheaper option is probably generic synthetic long underwear under pants you already have.
    Torso: something wicking next to the skin, maybe a turtleneck, and then start adding warmth layers. A vest is good in the mix for better arm mobility. Some kind of shell.
    Head & neck: For me, keeping my neck warm makes a big difference. Turtleneck, scarf, or neck gaiter. Warm hat that covers the ears, usually multi-layer fleece or knit.
    Hands: mittens are the cheapest way to have warm fingers. Insulated work gloves are usually decent and cheap. Liners can boost warmth at low cost.

Cheap stuff usually works for warmth— it’s just heavier, bulkier, not as elegant and not as well made. Layering stuff you already own also works.
    This is good feedback. Only things I’ll add are merino wool is pretty amazing, and good base layers do a lot of
    heavy lifting. Midweight (250g) merino wool base layers can be found on Amazon, I used those for a lot of the hunting season this fall and they did great.

Site Supporter
    Here's some inexpensive stuff that's helped keep me warm in Colorado, Wyoming, Quebec, the Adirondacks, and other cold places:

Puff jacket, some colors on sale, $40:

https://www.amzn.com/B07BN7G9J2

Military wool gloves, $11:

https://www.amzn.com/B07MKS5FGH

Lightweight balaclava, $7:

https://www.amzn.com/B086Z2CZJJ

I would definitely add a scarf, wool or fleece hat, and additional layers. For example, if it's really cold I might wear a compression fit long sleeve shirt, a ls henley, a flannel shirt, and a fleece under a puff jacket. If you might get wet, avoid cotton and prioritize wool (and add a hard shell).
    Last edited by Le Français; 01-12-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

I actually already have the hooded version of that Amazon puffy coat, although I'm dying to replace it with one of these for no reason other than nostalgia
    https://www.browning.com/products/hu...-michaels.html

As for layering, I get the concept, but keep in mind I basically own a single flannel shirt right now. I just never need anything else. The "cold" here basically necessitates a long-sleeve cotton t-shirt and an Alpha flight jacket (the combination of which is honestly usually overkill) or a short-sleeve cotton shirt and a sweater. Which means I'm going to have to buy at least one or two somethings.

so given that I have to buy some "base" stuff anyway, what're my best bets here for layering?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    For coats, I really like Marmot. I bought a new one in November to replace the one I bought in 2008 and used as my primary coat every year since. Most of those years I lived farther north than I do now. Marmot runs significant sales sometimes.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

User Tag List