Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: budget cold weather gear in 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    A pattern that has emerged for me since PF is after a few years of GJM telling me something, I finally go there and it works out pretty well normally.

I got kilt with damp near freezing hunting a couple years ago because I didn't have true armor against anything the north GA mountains might conjure up during deer season. I said F it, no more going cheap and did this. It is worth 20% more than it's price.

Waterproof and warm as heck. Cry once. I'm wearing it in my avatar.

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens...acket#search=1
    Id love to have something like that, and maybe I’ll look around at poshmark and other sites, but there’s just no way I’m sinking $800 into a coat that’s going to get worn twice in the next two months and then (if I have my way) not again for several years.

If it was something that might at least get worn *sometimes* in S Florida and/or at least looked presentable to wear for work or other less casual occasions, *maybe* half that price might be worth it.

I totally get that it’s quality shit, and generally I’m the overspend guy, but in this case it would just be ridiculous to leave $800 hanging in the closet until 2030.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Id love to have something like that, and maybe I’ll look around at poshmark and other sites, but there’s just no way I’m sinking $800 into a coat that’s going to get worn twice in the next two months and then (if I have my way) not again for several years.
    I was thinking that there may be some well-meaning mission creep here. We need to remember that this is a visit to ski resort towns, where a brutal slog will be more than a block to the next coffee shop or bar.

And it’s not as if you’ll need to call in an airdrop if you find you need a piece of clothing. If the boots or clothing you have aren’t working, you can go find the local Tractor Supply/Bass Pro equivalent and find something that will at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I was thinking that there may be some well-meaning mission creep here. We need to remember that this is a visit to ski resort towns, where a brutal slog will be more than a block to the next coffee shop or bar.

And it’s not as if you’ll need to call in an airdrop if you find you need a piece of clothing. If the boots or clothing you have aren’t working, you can go find the local Tractor Supply/Bass Pro equivalent and find something that will at a reasonable price.
    Had a conversation with the wife this morning where she expressed that I was over-thinking (no!) and/or over-shopping for this trip, which frankly has me resolved to simply arrive in my flip-flops and board shorts and buy whatever else I need on-site...

In which case, I'm probably going to grab up some gloves and long-johns, consider them and whatever I already own as a practice run in Denver in February (which is largely indoors and only in the city) and adjust accordingly.

Did stumble on this though, which in green would be ok for "work" back in FL in the rare instances I need a "coat".
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

@rob_s

Here's a good stack of gear for you. Cost effective, import, quality. I use it in daily wear and doing consequential things.

Baselayers, choose primus or celeris by your cold tolerance or duration outside. I've worn my celeris on cool nights in FL/TX/etc, so you could reuse.
    https://beyondclothing.com/collections/baselayers

Jackets, recommend a prima lochi or aptus. Supplies for prima lochi may be limited, you may need to go with the ultra lochi (newer version). Aptus has a lining.
    https://beyondclothing.com/products/...31782858489918
    https://beyondclothing.com/products/...31782866354238

I usually start with a wool or tech tee, then add those. For reference, when I wear a tee, celeris mid, and an aptus I am GTG at and a bit below zero.

Pants, wear what you like. If you want a recommendation:
    Unlined softshell, DWR and wind resist: https://beyondclothing.com/products/...32285327458366
    Lined softshell, same: https://beyondclothing.com/products/...32203138924606

Combine with the baselayers above.

Good footwear, good socks, wool beanie, good gloves. You're set.

I can go further down this rabbit hole as you wish. The US made side is also very GTG, more expensive, I can say more, but may not meet juice:squeeze for you.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Name:  52463F98-2166-4A87-8389-F483DF797EFC.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  49.7 KB

High of 40, low of 20 is not brutal, and the West gets a lot more sunshine than the Northeast. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised that 30’s and sunshine is quite comfortable if you’re moving and there’s not a lot of wind.

High of 40, low of 20 is not brutal, and the West gets a lot more sunshine than the Northeast. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised that 30’s and sunshine is quite comfortable if you’re moving and there’s not a lot of wind.
    Heck, 30's, sunshine, and no wind is almost hoodie and jeans weather.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

A few people have said the same. here and IRL.

I've just not been convinced in my (admittedly limited) experience coming from shorts, t-shirts, and flipflops 11.5 months of the year.

Site Supporter
    Not the cheapest but wait on that: https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/3883232...color=Atlantic

Men's EverTherm Down Jacket

It is a light weight jacket but casual and good down to -20 deg, IIRC. Uses some new kind of insulation. It is my everyday jacket here and has been out in 5 deg with no problem. Hooded and non hooded variants. Gets good reviews.

While not an immediate solution if it is too pricey, Eddie Bauer runs a 50% sale every year and I bought two for about $125 each at the time. So for winter country and running around town, it works.

I do have the -40 deg gear but this one works for just going around town. I can take a walk in the 20's and feel fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    A few people have said the same. here and IRL. I've just not been convinced in my (admittedly limited) experience coming from shorts, t-shirts, and flipflops 11.5 months of the year.
    Yeah, 40 is mostly nothing...until you're acclimated to FL.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post

I've seen joggers in uninsulated tights and hoodies here and in Minneapolis on Tuesday and yesterday. Gonna be in the teens and snowing tomorrow though.

@rob_s , the recommendations so far are good from my experience as a somewhat warmer-weather guy who has gone way north.
    FWIW, if you are a Costco member, they carry very cheap base layers from 32Degree brand (like sub $10/ea) that work great down to the teens. I'm on my third year with a couple of pairs of shirts and bottoms. They have lined jeans that are less than $20/pr, too. It's totally workable to get a weeks worth of the stuff for under 200$.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 01-13-2022 at 01:00 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List