Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: budget cold weather gear in 2022

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    something else that occurs to me... frozen water. I think y'all call it "snow"?

I don't expect I'll be rolling around in it like some kind of child, but particularly in Jackson likely won't be able to avoid it. Do I need to be thinking about fancy footwear (other than my standard GoreTex laceup Keen boots?) or pants (other than Wranglers over some longjohns?)?

My go-to everyday boot is a Doc Martens Chelsea Boot. I'm operating under the assumption that those boots, the aforementioned Keens, and some Smartwool socks will be sufficient?
    As long as you’re moving and not out for hours at a time, the boots you have should be ok. There’s a huge difference in clothing needed to keep warm when moving and when standing still.

Long underwear under jeans should be ok. The long underwear will keep the heat close to your leg so the outside of the denim stays colder and snow is less likely to melt on it. Brush off before you come inside to avoid getting damp. If you do think you’ll be rolling around in the snow with the kids, a cheap set of rain pants over the jeans will shed the snow.

I just don't know what I don't know and kind of need an infant's guide to dressing for cold.
    My single favorite cool/cold-weather layering piece is a vest —- can be fleece, wool, or puffy. Very versatile, packs small.

Site Supporter
    definitely an option. Wife is all over poshmark for her and the kids' gear.
    Might check the local Salvation Army/Goodwill/Resale stores for all the discards from the relocated Yankees.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    If you're going to be walking in the snow, you'll want a taller boot or at least one that won't let snow get down inside it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    If you're going to be walking in the snow, you'll want a taller boot or at least one that won't let snow get down inside it.
    https://www.amzn.com/B00AMSZEEW

Gaiters like these OR ones I’ve used for 7 years are great for keeping snow out.

Even though my boots are all Goretex lined, I put a coating over them so snow and mud don't stick . Mink oil or Snow Shield work. Cold, wet feet suck.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    As a general rule, any money you spend on Arcteryx is money well spent. For example, I have an Arcteryx hardshell I bought in 2002, hunted in for years, and despite being covered in blood multiple times, the jacket looks and performs as if new.
    A pattern that has emerged for me since PF is after a few years of GJM telling me something, I finally go there and it works out pretty well normally.

I got kilt with damp near freezing hunting a couple years ago because I didn't have true armor against anything the north GA mountains might conjure up during deer season. I said F it, no more going cheap and did this. It is worth 20% more than it's price.

Waterproof and warm as heck. Cry once. I'm wearing it in my avatar.

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens...acket#search=1
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

OTOH I have a milspec Navy P coat that is super thick wool and it's every bit as warm but you can overheat in it more than the technical Arcteryx. It's big downside is it objects to you fitting in behind a steering wheel something awful. It's bulky that way. I got mine at a surplus store for $100.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    A pattern that has emerged for me since PF is after a few years of GJM telling me something, I finally go there and it works out pretty well normally.

I got kilt with damp near freezing hunting a couple years ago because I didn't have true armor against anything the north GA mountains might conjure up during deer season. I said F it, no more going cheap and did this. It is worth 20% more than it's price.

Waterproof and warm as heck. Cry once. I'm wearing it in my avatar.

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens...acket#search=1
    I didn't realize you bought that jacket. My wife and I each got one about ten years ago, and have worn it non stop since. Here is a picture from 2013 in it.

Name:  D1CB85D8-A7E0-4F7F-8C1C-1C73E529376A.jpeg
Views: 276
Size:  72.5 KB

Here it is this afternoon wadded up in my pack as survival gear.

Name:  C265FAF4-423A-4C67-9661-5B94A8824DC3.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  49.4 KB

And, how it looks ten years later, after thousands of wearings.

Name:  4C9691A1-5080-400A-9F71-80652FF21A5F.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  62.0 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Rob S:

I am a big fan of Minus 33 base layers. They have held up very well for me. Here is a link: "https://www.minus33.com/". Minus 33 makes a midweight base layering system that is what I use most often. You can easily add layers if you need to. I tend to like thinner base layers unless it's brutally cold. I just add what I need to get to my desired temperature level. The midweight garments also have a decent appearance.

A fleece jacket is probably mandatory. The beauty of fleece is that you can wear them when you need a bit extra warmth, but don't need your outer layer. An example would be when you are driving. Add a good wind proof jacket, preferably with an attached hood. The wind can suck they life right out of you if you are not careful.

As to footwear, I'd suggest allocating a big chunk of your budget for good boots. I have become a huge fan of Lowa and Asolo boots. Get them big enough that you can wear them with thick wool socks. Something that also helps is a thin (silk) liner sock. Get good gloves if you need to have significant dexterity outdoors, otherwise consider mittens. Mittens tend to be warmer. In extreme cold, I wear wool gloves inside heavy mittens (they used to be called "Choppers") which is the best of both worlds. A merino wool beanie (what us old dudes called "watch caps") is worth its weight in gold if you are spending significant time outside.

A couple of additional points:

1. Hydration: It is very easy to get dehydrated out west due to low humidity levels. This is especially true at significant elevation levels (say above 3,000 feet above sea level). Hydrate of die as the saying goes.
    2. Make sure your boots are broken in. The only thing worse than boots that don't fit/aren't broken in are wet boots that don't fit.
    3. Good sunglasses are a must. I am a big fan of Oakley M frames (old age and decrepitude showing again-I don't even know if Oakley makes M frames anymore).
    4. Bring/get good sunscreen and lip balm. A handkerchief is nice too.
    5. If you are driving out from Florida with the family, a fleece blanket is a nice addition.
    6. If you are legal to carry concealed, a S&W airweight J frame in an outer coat pocket beats the coolest blaster buried under all of your layers.
    7. Avoid pissing off the bears (should be in hibernation) or other wildlife.

Hope that helps. Safe travels,

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

User Tag List