Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Firearms Access and Suicide Prevention

Completely disagree with everything in the initial post.

Step back from statistics (which are easily and routinely manipulated to support one argument or another), and go talk to people in the middle of a mental health crisis. Not one that has passed. Not one they worked through. Not one that is developing into a crisis.

Spend time with the person in crisis, at the moment of their crisis, and try to talk them off the ledge.

For those unaware of what I do in my retirement years, I deal with veterans, service members, first responders, & their families who are experiencing mental health issues. A full 1/3 of the calls we receive are an active crisis situation. While I tout our successful efforts in creating a retreat/recreational location, family programs, and outdoor/sporting events for these brave men and women, that is merely the catalyst we use to engage those struggling with mental health issues or crises……….,it’s not what we do. That is just part of how we do it.

I see the same academic analysis of suicidal ideation from mental health professionals. Trying to cure the headache by cutting off the head. When you understand the “why”, then you have an idea of how best to prevent it from taking place.

But if you can’t answer “why”, you’re fully unqualified to make any assumptions or assessments as to how to make it stop. Psychologists and Psychiatrists included.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Site Supporter
    deleted, posted on the wrong thread.
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; 01-20-2022 at 08:07 AM.

User Tag List