Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Firearms Access and Suicide Prevention

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Not necessarily, I meant "noticeable" in the most literal sense of the word; it may not be a large reduction, but I do believe that it would be something that would be noticeable under study. My assumption is that it would most significantly impact the suicide rate of teens; it's my understanding that firearms remains the most used method of successful suicide in non-adults, though I have also heard that asphyxiation (i.e., hanging) has been rising in popularity at the expense of firearms.
    I remain skeptical, simply because pretty good options for teen-proofing guns already exist now (i.e. safes). If parents don't invest in safe storage and don't recognize their child's risk profile now, would they be investing in a smart gun tech, assuming such tech is voluntary?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I have no issue with trying to lower suicide rates but I have a huge issue with someone messing with my guns or my rights.

A business owner that I worked with got terminal cancer, took his 357 in the backyard, and ended his misery. They counted it as a Covid death. No smart devices would have stopped that.

My uncle attempted suicide by hitting a car head on and seriously injuring the other driver. After the uncle healed up, he jumped off a high building and ended his life.

Japan has the highest suicide rate in the world and very little gun ownership.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I remain skeptical, simply because pretty good options for teen-proofing guns already exist now (i.e. safes). If parents don't invest in safe storage and don't recognize their child's risk profile now, would they be investing in a smart gun tech, assuming such tech is voluntary?
    I think it's quite possible because... of friction! The problem with a safe isn't just cost necessarily, but also because that takes more time to utilize each time, takes up extra space, etc.

I would like to stress that I had stated that it would take widespread adoption to make an impact, which in itself would imply a whole host of changes to the current landscape of smart guns, such as reliability, cost, and availability. This would also imply that smart guns weren't invested in by parents specifically because of storage concerns, but more because it's one of the default options; perhaps the smart aspect may have played a role in it being bought over a "dumb" gun, but it shouldn't be anything special and be the primary reason a gun was chosen. Again, this is a hypothetical about when smart guns are commonplace, and the impact on suicide it would have.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Japan has the highest suicide rate in the world and very little gun ownership.
    I think there's some unique contributing factors with Japanese society that aren't present in US society.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think there's some unique contributing factors with Japanese society that aren't present in US society.
    Could be but my point is that they seem to be able to kill themselves without access to firearms.

Could be but my point is that they seem to be able to kill themselves without access to firearms.
    And my point (the entire point of my original post!) is that they would likely kill themselves in even higher numbers if they had access to firearms.

This is a classic case of referencing a situation in country A as if it has any relevance to the situation in country B, without any consideration for underlying factors beyond "could be".

The most typical example discussed on this forum being the ownership and carry of arms in the US, to include police, as opposed to some other first world nations where even the majority of cops are unarmed.

So, yes, the Japanese kill themselves in droves. They also have a very different value set than Americans, to include a different take on death and in particular suicide which isn't really taboo like it is in America. It's no wonder they basically have self-declared suicide forests when you've got a society that not only silently accepts suicide but has a history of value on suicide if you feel you didn't do well at your job.

Neither of those things are present in US society. We're a much more impulsive society, we're much more casual, we're much more lazy, we have a greatly lower "give a fuck" factor for a shared value system, and we place suicide in the category of taboo. Just a few of the fundamental differences.

In actuality, if they had easy access to firearms like us, their suicide rates would likely be much higher than they already are. That's not really a great example to support the point you're making.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    And my point (the entire point of my original post!) is that they would likely kill themselves in even higher numbers if they had access to firearms.
    I don’t care.

The second amendment has one purpose.

The smart gun tech is a slippery slope towards the state (or non state actors) being able to remotely “brick” your gun, just like smart phones, Smart tech in vehicles etc. this is unacceptable.

Going back to your friction theory, INE it applies to a segment of suicidal subjects but it’s not a universal impediment.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    This is a classic case of referencing a situation in country A as if it has any relevance to the situation in country B, without any consideration for underlying factors beyond "could be".

The most typical example discussed on this forum being the ownership and carry of arms in the US, to include police, as opposed to some other first world nations where even the majority of cops are unarmed.

So, yes, the Japanese kill themselves in droves. They also have a very different value set than Americans, to include a different take on death and in particular suicide which isn't really taboo like it is in America. It's no wonder they basically have self-declared suicide forests when you've got a society that not only silently accepts suicide but has a history of value on suicide if you feel you didn't do well at your job.

Neither of those things are present in US society. We're a much more impulsive society, we're much more casual, we're much more lazy, we have a greatly lower "give a fuck" factor for a shared value system, and we place suicide in the category of taboo. Just a few of the fundamental differences.

In actuality, if they had easy access to firearms like us, their suicide rates would likely be much higher than they already are. That's not really a great example to support the point you're making.
    Doesn't matter. Leave my freedoms alone already.

Doesn't matter. Leave my freedoms alone already.
    I'm not advocating the restriction of your freedoms, we're just having a conversation, dude.

User Tag List