Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smart guns again

How about this: when the national, city and state police departments of the places proposing smart guns have been using smart guns for at least 5 years, then maybe they can encourage citizens to buy into them. I will be glad to consider a Smart gun after the Secret Service and FBI have been using it for at least 5 years. Wait, I don't want to obligate myself to buy a Sig P320 in .40 S&W, with a Glock NY2 trigger, or whatever other concoction they might come out with.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    ... that had been killing themselves via coal gas.
    Coal gas? Are you referring to carbon monoxide, resulting from poorly ventilated dwellings and insufficiently oxidized coal? So, like, not suicides but tragic accidents?
    Craig
    VCDL, ACLDN, SAF (Life), GOA, NRA (Benefactor Life), USAF Retired
    https://tinyurl.com/craig-trains

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_AR View Post
    Coal gas? Are you referring to carbon monoxide, resulting from poorly ventilated dwellings and insufficiently oxidized coal? So, like, not suicides but tragic accidents?
    No, coal gas was a precursor to natural gas, made by heating coal at a plant and piped around like natural gas and used, like natural gas, for e.g. ovens. Except it contains a lot of monoxide right up front. I suppose when you burned it in air the monoxide oxidized to CO2. The distraught housewife sticking her head in the (un-lit) oven is a common trope in old movies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_gas

Site Supporter
    During a demo, unlocked the gun fired one round and 2nd trigger pull, just a click.

https://thegunfeed.com/smart-gun-fai...share-holders/

Seems that there is some debugging still needed.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Wasn't there a mod to revolvers that required the user to wear a ring? I have a dim recollection of @Mas writing approvingly of the device in one of his books.

The thing about RFI devices is that they can be spoofed or jammed. The gun would likely be locked until the user drew it; a jammer could confuse the chip-reader in the gun.

Also, what happens when the chip-reader and the locking mechanism run out of power? Will that be a subject of a weekly/monthly inspection at roll-call?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Wasn't there a mod to revolvers that required the user to wear a ring? I have a dim recollection of @Mas writing approvingly of the device in one of his books.
    Magna-Trigger: http://www.tarnhelm.com/magna-trigge...ty/magna1.html

"Guns have been modified for police since June, 1976. For convenience, all magnetic rings allow firing of all modified guns. The device slides out for easy gun cleaning, and never requires oiling. Only one moving part is employed. The device is expected to outlast your gun by countless years. The powerful samarium magnets can last for centuries. The tiny stainless steel rings never tarnish, and weigh only five grams (1/5 ounce). You wear the ring on your middle finger for the six-shot guns and on the ring finger for the five-shot guns or the Ruger. Most officers wear a ring on both hands.

All S&W J, K, L, & N frame guns can be modified. One other revolver, the Ruger Security Six revolver can also be modified. No other brands of guns are being modified and we currently are not modifing any autopistols."

PeterB nailed it. The one "smart gun" that ever worked.

And naturally, never mentioned by those "smart gun" proponents whose actual agenda is to ban all other guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    My fear is that this rationale would be compelling enough for many Judges to rule a State mandated requirement for same as a "reasonable restriction/regulation".
    It’s always going to be wrong to store your handgun where unauthorized people have easy access to it. There’s not going to be a technical solution that makes that a great idea instead of a big mistake.

Also, I’m no Southnarc, but have they tried wrestling for the smartgun while using the app?

"Smart gun" can't fire two rounds consecutively

https://bearingarms.com/tomknighton/...nt-fire-n54682

Smart guns are smart only to those too stupid to know how guns work.

The usual suspects proposing digital boondoggles to make guns 'smart' tend to forget that guns are all 19th century mechanical technology. Even H&K's Space Magic G11 is just clockwork.

So, all of that digital rigamarole has to make a mechanical thing do a thing somewhere in that 19th century mechanism to make things not work. And inside a very limited physical space. So, disabling the mechanism isn't going to be all that hard for those with a basic knowledge of firearms mechanics- nor will it be all that hard to get work-arounds.

Now, it could be argued that smart guns are just a disguised gun control plan, and I would give credence to that- but even then, it will be super extra hard to implement.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List