Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smart guns again

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Just here to say I have zero clue what any of this means in relation to the thread topic.

Friction?

Ovens?

Wtf?
    Effort required to commit a suicide with specific means is inversely related to success at suicide. In this instance, the speculation is that the depressed people will not have enough fortitude to defeat the smart lock on a gun that belongs to someone else.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

It's my opinion that companies developing or pushing this technology should be given no quarter in this industry. The potential for abuse and erosion of rights is far too great.

Oh, great. Tech that is vulnerable to EW just when I might need it most. Cell-phone jammers are pack-of-cigarette sized now. Who says you could not adapt that to the near-field RFID spectrum.

Or be required to phone-up someone/someplace for an unlock code to be allowed to use it on a “permitted range day.” Otherwise it stays locked.

Nope. Nope. Nope.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Just here to say I have zero clue what any of this means in relation to the thread topic.

Friction?

Ovens?

Wtf?
    Because I mentioned suicide prevention as part of the idea behind the smart gun. Even though the technology allows for more than one user and people in one household will most likely be allowed access!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Because I mentioned suicide prevention as part of the idea behind the smart gun. Even though the technology allows for more than one user and people in one household will most likely be allowed access!

I get that, and I'm sure there would be some measurable improvement in the statistics, at least for a period of time. Though, technology that enables users to increasingly abdicate their personal responsibility (e.g. self-driving cars) feels very wrong to me. It feels like a strategy that will have negative consequences for society and individual rights in the long term.

There are already numerous options on the market, even at affordable prices, that allow people to responsibly store their firearms in whatever manner they deem most appropriate for their situation. People can't even be bothered to use those options much of the time. Hence all of the negligent shootings by/of children because of parents "hiding" their guns and not teaching their kids properly.

Of course, it's far easier for society to throw another gadget at such problems and shift the goal post mostly laterally. All the while avoiding dealing with the underlying sociopolitical, economic, and cultural problems that lead people down self-destructive paths.

When they mandate the current day Ted Kennedys to drive smart cars that can't kill people then you can talk to me about smart guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    No thanks. It can be used as fast as you can open the app? Seriously? Lol! That works if you're doing 10 paces for a dual.

Prevent suicide? Sure! Because there is no other way. If that's the case then they should close the golden gate bridge, stop selling rope and pills and anything poisonous...

Perfect for the modern idiot generation who can't even change a tire without watching a yoo toob vidya or asking Siri how.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Perfect for the modern idiot generation who can't even change a tire without watching a yoo toob vidya or asking Siri how.
    And I just realized I used the wrong "dual"! [emoji2357]. I meant "duel"

Does it come with an optics cut?

Kidding.

I'm actually much more curious about the LE agent's that are "beta" testing it. Since he said "agents" vs saying "agency" or "department" makes me think just some sworn dudes making a little extra scratch on the side. At the range only, of course.

I really hope nobody is jamming this into their duty holster and going to work.
    Or being encouraged to.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    Hello IT department? My "Smart Gun" won't fire and there's a man kicking my door in !!!

Yes I understand your problem and will have one of our associates with you as soon as possible, your wait time is 47 minutes.

Would you like to wait or do you prefer a call back when an associate becomes available?

Cue Elevator Music...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List