Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart guns again

Site Supporter

Smart guns again

https://www.reuters.com/technology/e...et-2022-01-11/

LodeStar integrated both a fingerprint reader and a near-field communication chip activated by a phone app, plus a PIN pad. The gun can be authorized for more than one user.

The fingerprint reader unlocks the gun in microseconds, but since it may not work when wet or in other adverse conditions, the PIN pad is there as a backup. LodeStar did not demonstrate the near-field communication signal, but it would act as a secondary backup, enabling the gun as quickly as users can open the app on their phones.
    Looks Glockish to me. Not for me.

Historically, they haven't worked reliably as I'm sure most know. I had a colleague at NJIT and they had a grant from Taurus to do such, never worked. SW, Taurus and Colt tried. There was the 22 LR mentioned in the article.

The rationale and problems:

1. Fear of NDs, kids getting their hands on it, stolen guns, etc.
    2. IIRC, some gun companies did marketing and found there were customers for a home SD gun that would want such beast because of the fears in #1. So there was a sales opportunity.
    3. The problem with #2 was that states might mandate them as NJ did if they were developed (law seems to have changed - not my lane). Antigun folks realize that such guns would cause more guns to be sold - OOPS! Nuts and angry folks could key in and go on a rampage anyway.
    4. Police resistance as to reliability, reaction time (I forgot my password), etc. Would the most popular PIN be 1234?

Anybody in on this - in Idaho?

The only safe gun I would trust would be an energy weapon from the Weapons Shops of Isher.

Another story: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ms-market.html
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 01-11-2022 at 12:07 PM.

The “near-field communication chip”. If someone could demonstrate the necessary reliability using an implanted device, I’d be interested. The idea of a firearm that could not be used by anyone else is compelling.

The huge downside is that the same identifying device could be used to identify the carrier in many other contexts, further eroding privacy.

Something like the Magna-Trigger doesn’t look so bad…..

LodeStar co-founder Gareth Glaser said he was inspired after hearing one too many stories about children shot while playing with an unattended gun. Smart guns could stop such tragedies by using technology to authenticate a user's identity and disable the gun should anyone else try to fire it.
    My fear is that this rationale would be compelling enough for many Judges to rule a State mandated requirement for same as a "reasonable restriction/regulation".

Just a politically correct Bambi pistol with more BS that **will** fail. So for *me*, hell F-ing NO !!
    Last edited by Biggy; 01-11-2022 at 01:46 PM.

$2200 for a "civilian" version. Fuck. No.

No thanks. It can be used as fast as you can open the app? Seriously? Lol! That works if you're doing 10 paces for a dual.

Prevent suicide? Sure! Because there is no other way. If that's the case then they should close the golden gate bridge, stop selling rope and pills and anything poisonous...

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Prevent suicide? Sure! Because there is no other way. If that's the case then they should close the golden gate bridge, stop selling rope and pills and anything poisonous...
    Friction is well-documented to have a significant impact on rates of suicide (among many other human activities, both positive and negative). The most famous and well-studied example is when the UK converted from coal gas ovens to natural gas ovens; while other means of suicide went up slightly, they were much lower than what was needed to compensate for the number of folks that had been killing themselves via coal gas.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    No thanks. It can be used as fast as you can open the app? Seriously? Lol! That works if you're doing 10 paces for a dual.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    It seems to me that the people driving the “smart gun” push have learned what they know about defensive gun use by watching TV. Until these ventures make a serious effort to consult and be guided by people like Mas or Givens or the like - they will never come up with a viable solution.

As for suicides - it is a tragic red herring. As many first world countries continually demonstrate, restricted access to firearms by civilians does nothing to prevent high suicide rates.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 01-11-2022 at 02:49 PM.

Any company, dealer or distributor that deals in “smart” guns must be boycotted and driven out of business. If “smart” guns are even marginally available, some states will require them.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Friction is well-documented to have a significant impact on rates of suicide (among many other human activities, both positive and negative). The most famous and well-studied example is when the UK converted from coal gas ovens to natural gas ovens; while other means of suicide went up slightly, they were much lower than what was needed to compensate for the number of folks that had been killing themselves via coal gas.
    Just here to say I have zero clue what any of this means in relation to the thread topic.

Friction?

Ovens?

Wtf?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List