Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint Drops a Budget T2

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Here's a T-1 and LaRue LT660 compared the Duty RDS and factory mount. Note the LT660's marginally taller profile.

When comparing the factory Aimpoint mount to the LaRue, it looks like the LT660 is right at half an inch taller. So if we're saying lower ⅓ co-witness with the 660 and T-1 sets the center of the optic at about 1.65" above the rail we'll be at about 2.15" for the DRDS if used with the LT660. Give or take .10" since I'm just eyeballing it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Thanks. This is great data. I have been shooting a T-2 on a 2.26" mount and it sounds like the DRDS will be close-ish on a standard 1/3 mount. But man, I didn't notice the body difference when I saw this was released. Gonna catch someone out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Here's a T-1 and LaRue LT660 compared the Duty RDS and factory mount. Note the LT660's marginally taller profile.

When comparing the factory Aimpoint mount to the LaRue, it looks like the LT660 is right at half an inch taller. So if we're saying lower ⅓ co-witness with the 660 and T-1 sets the center of the optic at about 1.65" above the rail we'll be at about 2.15" for the DRDS if used with the LT660. Give or take .10" since I'm just eyeballing it.

Looking at the last pic here it looks like the sight does not mount the same as the T1/T2, is that correct or are they completely interchangeable with existing T2 mounts?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Looking at the last pic here it looks like the sight does not mount the same as the T1/T2, is that correct or are they completely interchangeable with existing T2 mounts?
    Completely interchangeable, but the optic base height on the optic itself is very different meaning on the same exact mount, the RDS would be much taller than the T1/T2/clone thereof

I found this on another forum. It should help answer most questions about mount height.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Ordered one via Strohman's. Will sell my PRO when this comes in. Looking forward to getting my hands on it, should ship tomorrow.

More mount height stuff.

https://help.trex-arms.com/hc/en-us/...Considerations

Saw one today for $499. It seemed pretty nice. Looks like it has a cast housing. The buttons seemed nice. I’ll certainly get one next time I need a sight.

My copy arrived courtesy of Strohmann's. It is a nice little dot.

It does seem that like the PRO the brightness is nerfed a little bit. It performed well for me at 9/10 when shooting a berm backlit by the morning light, but have to wonder how long the battery will last at that setting.

Installation and zero can all be accomplished with the same T10 Torx bit (just like the ACRO which I do relaly like). Makes range tools easy to simplify. Came in minimalist cardboard packaging with reading materials, a T10 key, the sight, a battery.

I don't own a T2 and I am not the most sophisticated RDS consumer out there - they're all the same to me basically - but my immediate reaction was "this feels like a Holosun." In ergos, that is - the push button controls, monolithic factory mount secured with a single torx nut.

Quality of course is where it shines - its standout feature is the optic itself. I rarely find the optical quality of RDS sights to be remarkable because they're all kind of the same to me. This, however, even with the transparent rear lens cap, is very clear.

I have seen posted online sometihng about the coating being good for those with astigmatisms - I am not an engineer but this is definitely the cleanest dot I have ever shot with my astigmatism. YMMV.

It's very nice. They will need to drop the price on the PRO or discontinue them entirely as I can't imagine buying a PRO over the Duty RDS at the same price point.

Last edited by Nephrology; 02-11-2022 at 12:08 AM.

Site Supporter
    @Nephrology:

I can't tell from your pics, but have a question and a suggestion. Is your rail monolithic or not on that carbine? It appears that you've bridged the gap with the mounting position of the DRDS between the actual receiver and the handguard portion of the carbine rail. If it's not monolithic, the sight needs to be moved back to the actual receiver. If it is monolithic, no worries. We've found that bridging the gap creates chronic zero retention and accuracy issues.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    @Nephrology:

I can't tell from your pics, but have a question and a suggestion. Is your rail monolithic or not on that carbine? It appears that you've bridged the gap with the mounting position of the DRDS between the actual receiver and the handguard portion of the carbine rail. If it's not monolithic, the sight needs to be moved back to the actual receiver. If it is monolithic, no worries. We've found that bridging the gap creates chronic zero retention and accuracy issues.
    I think it's just the photo - the optic isn't bridging the rail. It's installed on the very last 1913 slot on the receiver. Wanted it zeroed there in case I ever decide to buy a magnifier.

edit: by the way, you probably know the answer to this - what optic mounts will be compatible with the Duty and OEM Mount? It seems like the Duty is taller than the T2 - wasn't sure how it would combine with aftermarket mounts or riser heights.

User Tag List