Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting gloves in cold climates

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Oh wow! A third of the price of my Outdoor Research! That's an interesting JHC story, but lacks the element of surprise.

Just ordered a pair to try out. Thanks!
    Let us know if they run large or small, if you would. Thanks.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhitman View Post
    I recently moved to a colder climate and found shooting and controlling a handgun when my hands are cold to be difficult. What do y’all that live in colder climates use for shooting gloves. Thanks
    Temps? What does "colder climate" mean? What is "cold" to you? Your tolerance for cold?
    Cold and dry, or wet? Snow/rain?
    Do you want to be warm, or just take the edge off?
    Gloves that are dedicated to shooting use in the cold, or gloves when shooting is incidental? (driving, ropes, work tasks, hunting/stalking)
    Which handgun? Triggerguard dims matter.
    Need them compatible with a long gun?
    What do you wear already?
    What kind of shooting are you doing, your ability, and will individual glove attributes even matter?

Gloves can get like holsters as you search, and you end up with a tote full of them. Fit also matters, especially if you're hand is a quirky size (palm circumference, OAL, length of fingers, etc). Find an outdoor store with higher quality gloves and try them on.

My regulars: Black Diamond (softshell lights), OR (sensor, another - checking), Beyond Clothing (guide lite). I try to go without gloves until I can't, and the guide lite tends to be used most. I like leather palms with a light, efficient insulator. I might also combine pairs, heavier on an off-hand, lighter/dextrous on the primary. Depends.

"Shooting gloves" tend to suck overall. Gloves are for hand protection - impact, penetration, friction, cold. Whatever attribute they focus on tends to compromise the others.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Let us know if they run large or small, if you would. Thanks.
    I will. I ordered large as I've chosen with the OR wool gloves. Will update. Not expected til Jan 17/18.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I can get by down to 30 or so with bare hands when I'm shooting, insulated gloves when I'm not, but wife and I switch off after I reset the targets. I don't know what I'd do if I attended a 4 hour class in those temps. I tried PIG gloves but the web between thumb and index finger really interfered with safety manipulation (1911); I do think these gloves would have been an improvement otherwise but XL would be way too big. Also, when it's cold I cheat and wear a thin nitrile work glove on my left hand to get more traction being old and with dry hands in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Temps? What does "colder climate" mean? What is "cold" to you? Your tolerance for cold?
    Cold and dry, or wet? Snow/rain?
    Do you want to be warm, or just take the edge off?
    Gloves that are dedicated to shooting use in the cold, or gloves when shooting is incidental? (driving, ropes, work tasks, hunting/stalking)
    Which handgun? Triggerguard dims matter.
    Need them compatible with a long gun?
    What do you wear already?
    What kind of shooting are you doing, your ability, and will individual glove attributes even matter?

Gloves can get like holsters as you search, and you end up with a tote full of them. Fit also matters, especially if you're hand is a quirky size (palm circumference, OAL, length of fingers, etc). Find an outdoor store with higher quality gloves and try them on.

My regulars: Black Diamond (softshell lights), OR (sensor, another - checking), Beyond Clothing (guide lite). I try to go without gloves until I can't, and the guide lite tends to be used most. I like leather palms with a light, efficient insulator. I might also combine pairs, heavier on an off-hand, lighter/dextrous on the primary. Depends.

"Shooting gloves" tend to suck overall. Gloves are for hand protection - impact, penetration, friction, cold. Whatever attribute they focus on tends to compromise the others.
    I moved to Coeur D Alene Idaho and joined FRGC. I did the Idaho enhanced CCW class, temps were probably in the teens on the range. No snow falling at the time of shooting, but we’ve been getting hammered with snow and cold temps. 35 degrees feels like a summer day lately.

I bought a Shadow Systems DR920, I thought the "sand paper" like texture would help with the grip, but I felt the gun moving around in my hand and had one stove pipe (100 rounds fired).

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Callaway winter golf gloves.

And I put heat packs in parka pockets.
    I do the same; winter golf gloves plus hot hands in coat pocket.

These work really good in certain conditions. I often use them while working outside, even in sub-zero temps, when I need maximum dexterity. You should certainly have warmer gloves with you too, but everyone should have a pair of these. Its surprising how well they work for me, especially if my fingers aren't getting wet. I find they provide great traction on most pistols. The answer to this problem is probably to have multiple options with you whenever possible. There are so many ways to be cold.

If you're in any large city in Idaho, you should probably be able to find them at an army surplus store cheaper than Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Fingerless-Gl...dp/B07MCDQ1NR/

What ST911 mentioned

Everyone is different and will have their preferences that work for them.

Are you talking about gloves to wear at the range?

I personally don’t wear gloves when actively shooting. I wear leather choppers and will have some heat packs in my pockets. It also really depends on the wind.

May sound silly but both types work for me.

Motorcycle gloves, thin leather or thin waterproof, keep my hands warm and still easy to manipulate a pistol.

Diving gloves work as well, warm and thin (don't go over 3mm). Go to your local dive shop or Amazon, not very expensive and have worked for years.

Site Supporter
    I do not do as much cold weather shooting as I should, but when I do, I try to wear the same type of gloves I wear when not planning to shoot. This way, I know the extent to which the gloves will impact my performance. Leather dress gloves with Thinsulate insulation will have little or no effect if they fit snugly enough and if I am carrying a Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List