Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting gloves in cold climates

Shooting gloves in cold climates

I recently moved to a colder climate and found shooting and controlling a handgun when my hands are cold to be difficult. What do y’all that live in colder climates use for shooting gloves.

Thanks

Site Supporter
    I have found that leather gloves lined with Thinsulate and sized to fit my hand snugly work best. However, I will be watching this thread with interest to see if I have missed a better solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

HK and CZ give many more glove options....

I like the winter PIG gloves a lot but they don’t do well in any kind of moisture. The longer I’ve done outside stuff in the cold, the more I’ve found that different gloves serve different purposes and it’s best to have several slightly different types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhitman View Post
    What do y’all that live in colder climates use for shooting gloves.
    Can you define "colder"?

I was actually just thinking I should ask for glove recommendations, so it's not like I've got a perfect system going on... That said, for warm(ish) and dry weather I really like Mechanix Fastfit II gloves. Once weather cools down somewhat, adding thin wool liners underneath a broken in pair of those gloves makes for a surprisingly warm combination. Works well down to a bit under 0°C. I'm afraid once temperatures drop lower I have less useful things to say... There is a pair of leather work gloves I like that's available in my country that gets me a bit more warmth, but probably not worth the effort to buy them from overseas. And once it gets properly cold there just isn't a simple solution; thinner shooting gloves with mittens over them for when you're not actively doing anything with your hands is one way to go. Properly layering up with warm enough clothes helps a lot with keeping extremities warm, something that some people overlook.

(If it's really cold, personally I prefer shooting large bore revolvers more than semi-automatic pistols if I have to wear thick gloves all the time. I feel like my firearm manipulations suffer less with them - and range cleanup is a whole lot quicker if I'm not dumping my brass on the ground. Or shotguns or rifles, thick gloves are less of a bother with those as well. So if it's -20°C I'm more likely to be rocking my AR than my Beretta.)
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Since you said 'when my hands are cold' versus 'in cold weather' I'll pass on my practices for shooting and instructing in the winter.

You want to keep the back of the hands and wrists warm in order to keep blood flow to the fingers. Avoid gaps between sleeves and hands/wrists.

I tried to wear long sleeves with thumb holes and thin glove liners under light gloves. Try to stay active moving hands, shoulder and arms, don't get hot. If it was windy or snowing, I'd wear the lightest waterproof gloves I could find over my liners. You don't want gloves with big gauntlets on them, but you want something that comes over the wrist a little.

I've got several sets of Manzella liners and shells, as well as some lighter liners with an 'S' embroidered on them that I wear under utility gloves (like Mechanix).

Duluth trading post made a couple perfect sets for my application, but they kept 'improving' the product until they were useless to me.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Callaway winter golf gloves.

And I put heat packs in parka pockets.

I ran into a problem with my Mechanix; I could shoot Glocks fine but could not function the grip safety on any of my 1911s. Nice to find out on the range! Seems they restricted me opening my palm enough or something.

I keep meaning to try the insulated golf gloves which was Hackathorn's recommendation back in our frigid 20's class years ago.

But when it's colder the lightweight insulated gloves don't help me much and I gave these a try and am pretty pleased for shooting Glocks or 1911s with the additional manipulation of controls.

They have traction "panels" on palm and fingers plus the "sensor" feature.

Good old wool.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/m...-gloves-244887
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I have limited options for outdoor shooting in winter so it's not really something I thought about much but in the past I've used surplus USMC wool gloves. They're warm enough for me.

One thing to be aware of is that they have grippy rubber bumps all on the inside. Makes for a secure grip but may or may not work for some when drawing

And apparently Amazon has them!
    https://www.amazon.com/Manzella-USMC.../dp/B001BVWGGS

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Grip.../dp/B001MD4C26

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I have limited options for outdoor shooting in winter so it's not really something I thought about much but in the past I've used surplus USMC wool gloves. They're warm enough for me.

One thing to be aware of is that they have grippy rubber bumps all on the inside. Makes for a secure grip but may or may not work for some when drawing

And apparently Amazon has them!
    https://www.amazon.com/Manzella-USMC.../dp/B001BVWGGS

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Grip.../dp/B001MD4C26

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Oh wow! A third of the price of my Outdoor Research! That's an interesting JHC story, but lacks the element of surprise.

Just ordered a pair to try out. Thanks!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List