Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Glock Gen4's - Good to Go Yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    There are certainly more than a few folks who've opined that the original (.40-cal) Glock gen4 RSA would probably work just fine in the 9mm guns now that so many other changes have been made to address the actual problem, such as the ejector and extractor.
    That could be tested, methinks. I think I still have an old RSA or know where one's at.
    #RESIST

No company produces a "bad batch" that stretches across three years' worth of production, especially a company that is producing as many guns per minute as Glock. It's not like they manufactured three years' worth of extractors one day and then lived off them until they were used up. It just doesn't work that way.
    By bad batch, I mean they allowed the design spec to change, as opposed to kept the same spec and merely had some bad ones.

Anecdotally, I have a bag of 2013 extractors I got from a mutual friend. When I have encountered Glock 9mm pistols that extract/eject erratically, I have switched out the extractor from 2012 with a 2013 part and had the pistol extract properly.

I believe the run of extractors from 2010-2012, effected Gen 3 and 4 pistols, but the introduction of the Gen 4 pistols, and the Gen 4 changes, created confusion as to what the problem was. If the extractor change happened prior to the introduction of the Gen 4, it would have been a lot easier to diagnose, since the extractor was, to my knowledge, the only part that changed in the Gen 3 pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    =I believe the run of extractors from 2010-2012, effected Gen 3 and 4 pistols, but the introduction of the Gen 4 pistols, and the Gen 4 changes, created confusion as to what the problem was.
    Agree 100%. Everyone was so excited to blame "gen4" that they missed the fact that a lot of the parts are universal between the 3 & 4 guns.

Agree 100%. Everyone was so excited to blame "gen4" that they missed the fact that a lot of the parts are universal between the 3 & 4 guns.
    Most of the problems I have seen were actually with gen 3 guns made in that time period.

I had erratic ejection with three Gen4 Model 17 pistols.

I quietly disassembled the slide and inspected the extractor. It was a horridly executed MIM part. I hunted down known quantity older extractors and replaced the ejectors.

They ran. I still did not like the ejection and I had an occasional failure to feed using Winchester White Box (P/N 115RPB9, iirc). They requires more extractor tensioned from my perspective.

So I researched part numbers for the Model 22 and it used (pardon the lack of terminology) a unique plastic "nipple" insert into the extractor rod assembly - located in the slide. So uninstalled the larger/longer part to increase the force of the extractor. They worked marginally better. None flew in my face and the stoppages were "very irregular" - maybe once every five range trips (perhaps twice per thousand trigger pulls).

In ordered two Apex Tactical Gen4 Extractors and now they work as they should have. There is consistent ejection patterns (5 o'clock) and they land about six (6) feet behind me.
    None fly in my face.

Yes, it's $60 but of I had to purchase a new GLOCK 9mm pistol old spend the extra coin for peace of mind.

Happy New Year, y'all!

-------------------------------------
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Mjolnir, did the Apex units require any fitting on your end?

I just came in from some shooting with my son's FDE Gen 4 G17. That's one that will eject normally w/o a magazine. Not many of mine will do that, regardless of Gen or age.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by BCA View Post
    Mjolnir, did the Apex units require any fitting on your end?
    All of mine just dropped right in (3 so far).

User Tag List