Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen4's - Good to Go Yet?

Glock Gen4's - Good to Go Yet?

It seems the storm about Gen4 reliability has calmed - does that mean Glock has fixed the problem and Gen4's are good to go?

Is there any reason to get a Gen4 over a Gen3?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

I have a GEN 4 G17 with about 5K down the pipe, and a GEN 4 G21 with about 3K through it, and I haven't had a single failure or case ejected at my head. While there may be a few issues with a few guns, it's not anywhere near the catastrophe that a few of the boys over on Glocktalk make it out to be.

The texture & mag release alone are enough for me to choose the GEN 4 over the GEN 3.

I'm happy with my SGTxxx 17 Gen 4, no failures yet, and from video the extraction is pretty consistent compared to others results.

I've been shooting an FDE Gen4 Glock 19 since springtime; it's the best handgun I've ever owned.

Until something breaks then I'll curse all Glocks and shake my fist at the sky.
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 08-20-2012 at 05:13 PM.

I have one Gen4 G17 approaching 2k rounds with a healthy diet of Wolf and it has yet to exhibit a non-magazine related failure. Said magazine consistently fails in all of my 3rd gens too so I don't count that towards the gun.

They also happen to be adequately accurate out of the box.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

My late March test fired G19 Gen 4 had erratic ejection with the factory parts with various ammo, with Apex's prototype extractor (which was corrected) I have not had any cases to the face in over 600 rounds with various ammo. I'd have more testing done but my Wife had Surgery 4 weeks ago.

I haved a PPR series G17 Gen 4 that was, to borrow a phrase, the spawn of Satan when it first was purchased.

After the 30274 ejector and a new extractor from Glock, it was good through ~15K or so until it started throwing the odd casing to my forehead, irregardless of which springs, extractor, etc. I changed out.

Through an unfortunate accident, I had to purchase a new slide from Glock, and with the new slide (and all its internals), mine is ejecting perfectly again.

In spite of the issues I've had with this gun, it has north of ~20K through it now and I dearly love it. It's easily my favorite gun to shoot and is ridiculously accurate with the Jarvis barrel I have in it now.

I also purchased an older G26 used from a member here. It wasn't disclosed it was the "spawn of Satan Jr.". I'm still working on this one to get it to eject consistently.
    Last edited by mizer67; 08-20-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Added more info

We (total of 3 family shooters) have four early 2010 Gen 4 9mm's and 4 late model Gen 4 9mms and they've all run well so far. Round counts range from about 600 through 10K. I've concluded I'm not the right guy to ask that question. Doesn't stop me from chiming in though.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thanks for all the info! General consensus seems to be that the Gen4 is worth it?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Are the Gen4 Glocks still coming with a heavier trigger pull, than the Gen3?

User Tag List