Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G20 Vs G29 , reliability for a woods gun.

Thanks , some informative responses here. With regards to barrel replacements, not really an option at al for me, I am not based in the states.
    The Gen 5 23 thread has just opened up some options for me...
    Linked to this thread, but not wanting to start another thread, with regards to 45 super, do any of the .45 Glocks have the potential to manage it with minor upgrades without barrel replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by flux View Post
    Linked to this thread, but not wanting to start another thread, with regards to 45 super, do any of the .45 Glocks have the potential to manage it with minor upgrades without barrel replacement?
    Based on all the research I did a couple years ago, it doesn't look like. Things may have changed since then, but I doubt it.

I think you run into the same issue you do with the G29/20. The only thing you can really change is the recoil and magazine spring rates, and that doesn't get you where you need to go.

With a 1911 platform (or other hammer fired gun) you can change the mainspring rate and the firing pin stop geometry, which does much more to retard the slide as it moves backwards.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I messed around with full power loads in the G29 using an after market KKM barrel. Chamber was too tight to reliably feed hardcast with wide meplat. Perhaps the issue with the slide velocity was a factor as well. This was before introduction of the Lehigh all copper load. I spent quite a bit of time at the 10mm-firearms.com forum trying to get things to work. Going back to the Glock barrel I got the ammo to work but I did not do extensive testing due to the cost of the round. I never saw any Glock bulges on the brass but definitely an issue as it is widely reported.

I've since liquidated 10mm and moved on as I just don't have the patience to work it out due to the very little time I spend in Grizzly country.

Site Supporter
    I'm hanging on to my G20.3 as a bowhunting companion. I have a .40 barrel for it, and am very passively looking for .357 Sig and 9x25 Dillon barrels. When I get around to reloading a more supported chambered 10mm barrel will be in order.

But while all Glocks are undersprung, I suspect the 10s would benefit from spring tuning the most. My first armorer's course there was no recommended prgrammmed replacement of parts. A boss's G23 wore out at about 4,000 rounds. We basically rebuilt it. The next armorer's course I took recommended prophylactic RSA relacement, among other things at 2,500 rounds.

pat

GJM and I had some good discussions on thias day coinciding with his Underwood Lehigh thread. The upshot was is that I feel very comfortable with my Gen4 G22 with the 140 gr Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrator cartridges here in the Pacific Northwest against black bear and cougar; similarly with my Gen 3 G21 and Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators or (in my case) with Xtreme Defense cartridges.

For controllability, I prefer the full-size Glocks, and my suspiscion is thet the Gen5 G22 would be even better than my Gen4 G22 in that regard.

I haven't personally tried the Gen5 G23, so I can't comment, but for size and controllabilty I'll probably stick with the G21/G22 formats, or alternatively with my HK P30/VP40. If I wanted an HK selection in .45 ACP. I'd select an HK45/45 Compact. or HK .45 USP.

For woods use, I prefer a stable thigh tactical rig, or a tanker chest configuration. With the Glocks, a butt plug is a standard piece of equipment for mine, so that when I sit down in dirt/mud/ash residue it doesnt get concurrently thrust into the receiver cavity if the but of the gun makes contact with the ground. Mine are all from Pierce.

Best, Jon

A woman, good shooter, who shoots CO at our local club, told me that she and her husband were spending the summer in Alaska. That led to a discussion of field pistols, and she told me she had been trying, unsuccessfully, to make Buffalo Bore run reliably in her new Glock 20. I suggested she get some Underwood Lehigh penetrators and run a Glock 9 or 40.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A woman, good shooter, who shoots CO at our local club, told me that she and her husband were spending the summer in Alaska. That led to a discussion of field pistols, and she told me she had been trying, unsuccessfully, to make Buffalo Bore run reliably in her new Glock 20. I suggested she get some Underwood Lehigh penetrators and run a Glock 9 or 40.
    I've cautioned so many people about reliability issues with Glocks and Buffalo Bore ammo, I'm surprised Sundles hasn't put poison bait for me out in my yard.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I am looking at magna porting a G20 since I think it should help the gen 4 recoil spring be more reliable and more controllable with top end loads.

I have also wondered, are there any mag extensions that work reliably for the G20? Or any extended mags like the ets or sgm 30 rounders?

Quote Originally Posted by pastaslinger View Post
    I am looking at magna porting a G20 since I think it should help the gen 4 recoil spring be more reliable and more controllable with top end loads.

I have also wondered, are there any mag extensions that work reliably for the G20? Or any extended mags like the ets or sgm 30 rounders?
    Not a direct equivalent, but a member here gave me a Glock OEM 6" hunter barrel he'd had ported by a gunsmith. It made the gun no more reliable with heavy loads.

ETA: I've no experience with extended magazines, but I'd note that one of the issues that causes problems is shoving the column of cartridges up quick enough for the round to properly present itself to be fed. A bigger column of ammo is not going to help that.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I've cautioned so many people about reliability issues with Glocks and Buffalo Bore ammo, I'm surprised Sundles hasn't put poison bait for me out in my yard.

I will just say that sometimes some people go a bridge too far. The sweet spot I have found has been a 200 grain hard cast at 1150. That runs great in every 10mm I have tried it in. You are not outrunning your mag springs, and you can hammer controlled pairs with some practice.

It also penetrates extremely well. I had the opportunity to shoot some steer skulls and they might as well been water balloons. The 200 grain slugs went right through them.

User Tag List