Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kydex Magazine Pouch Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    My belt is a 1.25” wide, double thickness belt made by The Beltman. The pouch that slipped off uses a plastic clip with plenty of room to accommodate the double thickness belt and a large hook on the end to prevent what happened. I have no idea how it slipped off, but once it did, the plastic was irreparably bent. I always thread my belt through the clip as though it was a loop to prevent weakening the clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have lots of experience with clipped pouches, like Kytex, coming off the belt when using a leather belt.

I've had no such issues with nylon belts, I'm assuming because the bottom isn't rounded/beveled like leather which encourages the clip to work itself off.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I have a Dale Fricke Gideon Elite single, that while it has a clip, I'd be hard pressed to pull if off the belt, even if trying. I always thread it on and off the belt.

https://dalefrickeholsters.com/produ...ouch-vertical/

I also have an Aholster pouch, also with a clip, but the hook on the loop is quite pronounced. I can put it on the belt, but taking it off is a little more involved. I also usually thread the belt through this pouch.

https://aholster.com/mag-pouch/

I haven't used their pouches, but Garrett Industries offers loops for their pouches. You can get singles, through triples.

https://www.giholsters.com/product-p/k1s00.htm

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Do you have 1.25" clips on your pouch? I ask because even the large hooks can slip over the belt if allowed to rotate very much. A 1.5" clip would be susceptible to this on a 1.25 " belt. Just a thought.
    I have been in touch with the maker of the pouch, who was very responsive when I contacted him. He also believes this is what happened.

At this point I have used 1.25” belts for over 2 decades, and have a significant amount of gear that is specific to 1.25” belts. So, I need to work out a solution that works for that belt width.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I have lots of experience with clipped pouches, like Kytex, coming off the belt when using a leather belt.

I've had no such issues with nylon belts, I'm assuming because the bottom isn't rounded/beveled like leather which encourages the clip to work itself off.
    This is an interesting observation.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    I have been in touch with the maker of the pouch, who was very responsive when I contacted him. He also believes this is what happened.

At this point I have used 1.25” belts for over 2 decades, and have a significant amount of gear that is specific to 1.25” belts. So, I need to work out a solution that works for that belt width.

What about some moleskin or grip tape on the inside edge that would contact the back of your belt?
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    What about some moleskin or grip tape on the inside edge that would contact the back of your belt?
    Interesting idea, and I do find moleskin useful in other holster applications. The tip of the hook contacts the Kydex of the pouch even when on my belt, but it does not reach the back of my belt. It is currently a 1.5” clip on a 1.25” belt, but zi do not think it would contact the back of a 1.5” belt.

Site Supporter
    When I tighten my belt enough to properly support my pistol, there is no way my Kytex mag pouch is coming off.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I don't have a 365, but I've used these with the concealment clip for my PX4s and M&P45s for carry and classes and they've stayed on my belt with no issues.
    Thank you, but I do need something with a belt loop, not a belt clip.

Does anyone make anything similar to the former Custom Carry Concepts Basic Magazine Pouch?
    Tony at JM used to make a V2 mag pouch with a fixed loop....might hit him up to see if it is still an option. Here are some I had him reverse for between the belt and pants:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ot-ain-t-no-BS!

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I still use my Kytex pouches, but with the understanding that they will break. Kydex is not the wonder material people make it out to be, or rather, the wonder is in that people can make top notch products in their kitchen. Injection molded will be superior, but the Kytex ones are cheap and I can get by with a $100 order for years. Mark them, track them, and just keep on keepin' on.

That said... The JM pouch linked above might be the better way to roll now that we've got Comp-Tac in the mix. I'd rather have Tony's smaller IM clip over the mini Teklok, and his will be a smidge narrower.
    I've broken two Kytex pouches...one mag pouch and one light pouch, by catching them on an armrest whilst settling into a patio armchair.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    I just ordered a Kramer horsehide double magazine pouch.

This is very different from my original request for information at the beginning of this thread. I had used the Kramer pouches for years, but they are expensive, potentially limiting on belt placement with the belt tunnel that takes up the entire width of the pouch, subject to perspiration as with any leather, and not always easy to adjust the tension screw. However, they are more compact than almost any other solution I have seen, conceal very well, and have always held my magazines securely.

My positive experience with the Custom Carry Concepts Basic Magazine Pouch led me to hope that a similar solution could be found, but it does not appear to exist. I really liked the compactness, generally good security, and the ability to resist sweat. However, they did release one of my Glock 26 magazines on one occasion.

Thank you to all who provided suggestions and feedback on their own experiences.

The Kramer is one of the most compact double pouches out there. And the horsehide will be more resistant to perspiration that cowhide.
    Two Kramer single pouches would likely get you the results you were originally looking for. That they can be ordered with your preferred 1.25" belt slot is a plus.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List