Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Year Challenge

10 years ago I hadn't even picked up a gun before.

But here's me in the North Georgia mountains somewhere, circa 2012. Fun day.

Name:  pic_trip_16-2.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  96.2 KB

10 years ago no guns either.

Name:  8D8DC2C2-7D88-4DF3-8F62-2FF2F37BC705.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  55.6 KB

But always technical hobbies or technical work.

6 years ago it was a G26.

Now a Taurus View.

Name:  D8269B04-A4BE-4AD5-AD41-BDC2E47B5D57.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  59.1 KB
    Last edited by JCN; 01-09-2022 at 10:46 AM.

Site Supporter
    Ten years ago, Glock 19 or 26 for EDC or a 642 when I had dress constraints. Same today except, not the 19 and I added a SW 432 for the pocket revolver. Sold the 19.

Let's see...10 years ago.
    I'd done my first real class, with Todd, in mid-2010, where I shot a Gen2 Glock 19 but was pretty blown away with the idea of AIWB. So i'd went through the trouble of acquiring an LEM P30 and getting it all set up, and was shooting that into 2011, when I got to train with him again.
    I was still shooting the P30 through 2012. After ECQC, '12 and '13 kind of fell apart due to life issues and I hit a low patch on the training/shooting cycle. When it came back around, I was shooting Glock again.
    Eventually I gave P320's a shot, and shot them well, but timing vs. the drop debacle soured me. Back to Glocks.
    Then I got exposed to the DA/SA bug, tried P30L for a while, which I still love but just isn't the system for me.
    Then Berettas, PX4s and 92s.... Still have a couple that i really enjoy shooting... but I'm really all Glock for all practical purposes. Starting to play with red dots now.

Some will say that swapping guns around has hurt my shooting, and relative to aggressively training with one thing for all this time, maybe it would have. But really swapping around has given me motivation and interest to go learn new systems, tweak my understanding, and avoid burnout. Getting something new and wanting to learn it has revived my excitement several times along the way. Swapping around is one of the reason I'm pretty confident you can hand me any gun and be able to shoot it "good enough" right out of the gate.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

10 years ago (went back to my training journal to see — TJs on this site are 10 years old) I was carrying 1911s exclusively. Because of GJM, who pulled me over here from the API list, I started considering other guns; he pushed the M&P and Gen4 particularly. Fortunately I was slow enough about it to avoid the drama of the Gen4’s unreliability; I got into them, but only after they had cleaned up the release. I avoided the M&P accuracy debacle and have still never shot one.

I still carry 1911s but am comfortable with the G4 G17 and P229 (after finally paying attention to SLG about them). I carry aiwb almost to exclusion now — my ex-rso gets very little use. I went to church today with a 45 CCO in an SME.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Ten years ago, Glock 19 and 17. I got impatient waiting for The Gadget (who remembers *SoonTM?? ;D) and moved through a series of DA/SA guns with a H&K LEM thrown in the mix at some point. Currently running CZ P-07 and P-09.

HCM's recent mention that Wright Armory is introducing a modular RDS system for H&K lines has got me experimenting with the P30 again.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Wow, that’s almost a copy of me. I too owned several 1911’s, and had just purchased a Baer. Now I’m down to one 1911, and have several Glocks. The Baer’s gone, and I don’t miss it. Kinda wish I’d kept my Dan Wesson CBOB though.

I was just telling someone I hadn’t shot a match in a couple years, and then I realized it’s been at least 10 years.

But with access to private property that lets me run drills I couldn’t on a “normal” range, I’d like to say I’m a much better shooter than I was 10 years ago. Or at least I’ve gotten better at gaming the drills. 😁
    I ended up going through 40+ 1911’s before I moved away from them.

When I started my LE career, I didn’t really know anything about firearms, but I bought a G26 as an off-duty gun and a 642 for a BUG. I didn’t know it at the time, but I could have quit buying guns after that. However, buying and selling 100+ guns after that has been a lot more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    When I started my LE career, I didn’t really know anything about firearms, but I bought a G26 as an off-duty gun and a 642 for a BUG. I didn’t know it at the time, but I could have quit buying guns after that.
    I resemble that remark. (Add a Model 36 which was my original BUG, which was sold toward my first (Gen2.5) G26, and you have me cold.)

Still the only two I carry on a daily basis, G26 or 642...with no intention of changing.

(And still only own seven total...a G19, two G26, G17...S&W 642...Remington 870 and an AR.)

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

For years it's been S&W revolvers and 1911 pistols for me.
    (With a few Browning HPs thrown in for variety.)

Ten years ago I was finishing up my .41 Magnum binge.
    Shooting some plate matches and wishing the Second Chance
    Bowling Pin Shoot was still rocking and rolling.
    I used a six-inch S&W M57 for some pin shooting. A custom
    Para-Caspian .45 for the rest.

Ten years back a buddy still had 120 acres of hunting land (remains of an old
    dairy farm). I did much of my deer hunting there and filled the freezer most
    years. Older, slower, having trouble with cold, and hunting less productive county
    these days.

10 years ago I was beginning the transition from .45 Auto to 9mm. The previous 2 years were heavy on my G21SF and I decided to give a G19 a try. I was also very infatuated with 'torture tests', partly thanks to ToddG and BigBore. For the first 5 years of this past decade I was bouncing around from Glocks to HKs to Walther to CZ to Beretta, ad naseum. The second half of the decade I had settled down to Glock having started going to competitions on a regular basis.

Now I find myself in a different field of work and my trusty 442-1 gets the most carry time now but with a very healthy dose of 9mm Gen 5 Glock variants.

It will be very interesting to see what I say on January 9, 2032.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

User Tag List