Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 10 Year Challenge

10 Year Challenge

Great thread. It took me on a journey through my Photos library.

2012:
    A year after I broke up with the 1911 and switched to Glock for competition and carry. I won a gun at GSSF and bought a G26.

I got serious about USPSA, and less serious about IDPA.

About a year later I became an early adopter of red dots, and carried a G4 G19 with a RMR-06 on a Suarez slide.

So much fun!
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I have bought/sold/horse traded into so many pistols the past 15+ years, I really don’t know what I was carrying 10 years ago. Probably a 19 or 26, I don’t think I’d gone down the G30S or XD-S .45 (or whatever SA called that single stack micro-.45) trail yet.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Ten years ago I was just stepping out of having to live with what was issued (full time law enforcement). I quickly stepped into the “gun of the month” club. Really more like the “gun of the week” club. I was regularly had three or more different handguns I was “evaluating”, though a S&W M&P with CTC lasergrips got the bulk of my training time. I dabbled with or cycled through most of the popular options: Walther PPQ/PPS, CZ P-07, Sig 226/229/2022, Gen4 Glocks, HK P30, Beretta 92…

I’ve been using the Sig 320/365 family exclusively for several years now, for better or worse.

Ten years ago, if you had asked me to do this ten year challenge, it would have felt like a real long time ago; these last ten years don't feel that long (even though a whole bunch of "life changing things" happened during that time).

Anyway, I carried a G19 gen3 then, I carry a G17 gen3 now.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

10 years ago I was still on my 1911/2011 kick. I was shooting Limited division with a 6” 2011 in .40SW that a local gunsmith built for me. 3-gun and IDPA pistol was a STI Eagle converted to 9mm with custom top-end. Carry gun was a 4” STI 1911 with Officer size grip in Milt Sparks Nexus holster.

That was back when I could still see iron sights. Now I have to wear reading glasses and shoot guns with red dots.

10 years ago is pretty easy....my then agency only authorized Glock 22, 23, or 27, so 22 on duty, 23 off duty, 27 BUG. It was in 2013, I want to say February, that I attended TacCon in Memphis, and got to meet a number of the fine folks here in person. Listened to DB talk about street triggers months before his epic post here....really set the wheels turning. Shortly thereafter I really began to understand that the gen3 Glock didn't really fit me...after nearly 15 years with them... and really began to pay attention to grip circumference and trigger reach.

Today....
    I went to a plainclothes gig almost a year ago. I typically wear a 1911 or Hi-Power with the dress shirt and tie, and a 1911 off-duty. Sig P250c w/ Wilson grip module when in uniform and nightstand duty. Smaller guns are K9/CW9/SP101/TCP.... so either SAO or DAO.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Same woman and same guns for more than 30 years. I just put a Holosun on an M&P, so the question is what pistol/optic I'll be carrying next January.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I just re-read my first posts on here from Feb 2012, so almost 10 years ago. Wow, so much cringe. I had just ditched my Gen 3 Glock 19 with Heinie Straight Eight's and picked up a pair of M&P 9's. Looking at what my past self thought I knew, it makes me never want to profess to know anything again; lest my 10 years future self come across it and be just as sickened as I am by what I just read.

Between then and now, I went from M&P's back to a pair of Gen 4 Glock 17's in 2014. That was the real beginning of pistol shooting for me. I absolutely destroyed one of those guns learning how to really shoot a pistol (or at least comparatively). I had a brief fling with Beretta 92's in 2018 and am now back to Glocks, this time Gen 5 MOS guns with RMR's.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    People still kill each other, same as they always have.
    I guess ignorance (on my part) was bliss.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Cool

2012: was 3-4 years into serious pistol work.
    I'd taken a class with Larry Vickers, was devouring everything ToddG wrote, had moved from a 15 years with the 1911 (in 10mm!) to 3 years with M&P9s. After 5 M&P9s, and accuracy frustration, I was thinking hard about P30s. I'd just made master in IDPA, was dryfiring hard, shooting IDPA classifiers every week and occasional USPSA matches. Shot about 5-6000 rounds a year (a lot for me), with way more dryfire. Lots of Steve Anderson and Ben Stoeger.

I switched hard to the HK P30 and full time AIWB in 2012, eventually sold M&P9s, and kept a couple Glocks.

2022: I focus much more on fitness (really since about 2014), but still dryfire about 1-2 hours a week. Only shoot once a month, maybe 1500 rds a year. 1-2 club matches a year. Still improving, but way slower. Shot a bunch of EIC matches with the Guard (very accuracy intensive), have done well there (got my distinguished pistol really fast), but not really putting the effort into practical shooting like I used to.

I just switched to a G19x with Holosun last month. Loving the dot. It's bred enthusiasm to train seriously again. Really want to put one on a P30.

GJM needs to run a P30 with Wright I-Dot system and dot, short reset and flat trigger through the wringer. GJM's latest antics are 30% of the reason I read here . Just bought a HK45c, plan to make that my outdoor gun with 45 super, and retire the 1911 10mm.

ToddG is still a big influence, thanks for starting this place, and thanks to all for keeping it going.

User Tag List