Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 10 Year Challenge

2012: J-Frame

2022: J-Frame

Bigger guns come and go, I can never seem to settle on one. But ultimately, the J-Frame just comes back. Clue? Probably.

I do tend to prefer my revolvers all things said and done. Thinking this year, I'll focus almost exclusively on revolver shooting again. Would really like to dot up a gun and try dot life again. Was thinking 617, but maybe a 317 Kit Gun? That would be a good cross trainer for my most carried gun(s).

Very interesting read.

Ten years ago I was still living in New Jersistan, where no ordinary citizen can carry.
    Our plan was to move to NH in 2013.
    I was sort of an accumulator of guns at the time[waaaaay too many] but decided that the G23 was going to be the gun I went with when we arrived in NH.

I grew up shooting an old Remington Rand 1911 all the time, and 38 special revolvers.
    After figuring out the G23 with a ghost connector was a bad idea, I bounced from platform to platform, [thus my moniker] and came to rest on the P99 in 9mm for a while.
    Then the M&P 2.0 compact for a few years.

This coming August will be 2 years back with the 1911, a SA Range Officer commander sized 9mm.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Clearly other folks and I are on the same wavelength....I can dig it...plus my DSG Apollo should work. If not, I guess @Dark Star Gear can make me one with an optics cut...

Name:  67254035-8A0C-4658-8DD4-4B0221885FB6.jpeg
Views: 175
Size:  48.4 KB
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-12-2022 at 02:10 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Clearly other folks and I are on the same wavelength....I can dig it...plus my DSG Apollo should work. If not, I guess @DarkStarGear can make me one with an optics cut...

O.M.G.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Clearly other folks and I are on the same wavelength....I can dig it...plus my DSG Apollo should work. If not, I guess @DarkStarGear can make me one with an optics cut...

Where's the compensator?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Where's the compensator?
    Compensator is in the caliber. If the mighty .22LR is too much for you, we'll load it with CB Caps...

It's a cool gun, not mine. But I think I'm going to build one like it. Trolling gun broker for a 317 Kit Gun right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I grew up shooting an old Remington Rand 1911 all the time, and 38 special revolvers.
    After figuring out the G23 with a ghost connector was a bad idea, I bounced from platform to platform, [thus my moniker] and came to rest on the P99 in 9mm for a while.
    Then the M&P 2.0 compact for a few years.

This coming August will be 2 years back with the 1911, a SA Range Officer commander sized 9mm.
    How many people are there in the world who have spent significant time carrying either a 9mm 1911 or, the real rare bird, a Walther P99? I think we're basically the only two people who have done both. Honestly kindof weird.

Ten years ago I was... almost 19, so no carrying. I was in college. I thought 1911s and XDs were cool. Ten years later I can at least say I still like 1911s... I learned to shoot handguns with them, and (similarly, again...) came back to them recently and plan to stick with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    How many people are there in the world who have spent significant time carrying either a 9mm 1911 or, the real rare bird, a Walther P99? I think we're basically the only two people who have done both. Honestly kindof weird.

Ten years ago I was... almost 19, so no carrying. I was in college. I thought 1911s and XDs were cool. Ten years later I can at least say I still like 1911s... I learned to shoot handguns with them, and (similarly, again...) came back to them recently and plan to stick with them.
    Ha!
    I've got an xd9 that I bought new in about 2003-4.
    Still have it, still running strong.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Ha!
    I've got an xd9 that I bought new in about 2003-4.
    Still have it, still running strong.
    I at one point had an XDm .40. It worked, but I was really happy to get a P99 instead and would still happily take that P99 over a lot of other things, even though I don't have it anymore either.

I may have been carrying for less than ten years, but it's still been plenty of time for a lot of changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I may have been carrying for less than ten years, but it's still been plenty of time for a lot of changes.
    It really does take awhile to figure out what works for you.

I have, to this point tried:

1911s
    3rd Gen Smith
    Various Ruger autos
    P30
    2011s
    Beretta 92
    M&P 1.0 and 2.0
    Kahr
    And revolvers in: K, L, N, Ruger Medium Frame, Colt D-Frame siizes with barrels from 2-6"

The only thing I've found consistent for me is the J-Frame. And to a lesser extent the Colt D-frame. The 'svelteness' of those guns makes a difference in carrying. Where it goes from "sometimes I carry it" to "pretty much always carry it". I've discovered my sweet spot for belt guns is between 18 and 25 ounces and for pocket guns 10-16 ounces.

For me personally, for every ounce over 25 a gun is, there seems to be an almost direct 5% decrease in the likelihood I'll carry it regularly. I like my 1911s, they really don't see the carry time a J-Frame does. By far my three most carried guns, 2.5" 638 (16 ounces loaded), Kahr CW9 (22oz loaded), Ruger LCP (11.5oz loaded). My 43 ounce 1911 with pistol light? Well, it sits in the safe. Alongside most everything else.

I know that old saying, "A gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable." Well - I have such a low need for a gun it has to be comfortable and not just comforting. Comfortable is a luxury and I can afford it. Some can't, I totally get that.

User Tag List