Thread: Surefire Warden installation question

Surefire Warden installation question

I’ve been tasked with doing the final assembly on an AR that was gifted to a family member. It was supposed to be ready to go when he got it but after I unscrewed the brake by hand while trying to figure out how to get the Warden off (I’d never handled one before), questions were asked and “clarifications” were made but I digress...

The instructions I found online mention shims and Rocksett but neither were sent with the rifle (just a standard crush washer) and I don’t have any Rocksett.

Would it be possible to find suitable shims at a hardware store? Is Rocksett a necessity on a rifle that going to see an extremely low round count (less than 100rounds/year is my guess)? Would red Loctite be sufficient?

Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

My recommendation is to call Surefire and get SF shims. They come with a “go by” chart that tells
    You which color shims to use since they’re different thicknesses.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Thanks, that's pretty much what I figured but I was hoping for a "walk in, walk out" solution.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

You could use a crush washer but you may need to take some material off of it to time the surefire brake. I've removed material from the "domed" surface of the washer by using a belt sander to get the right thickness. You might be able to use a file or similar if you don't have access to a sander.

The rockset is there to make sure the brake doesn't unscrew when the warden or a suppressor is removed after shooting. It creates a much stronger bind.

If a lot of carbon builds up when shooting, the warden could try and lock itself lock itself to the brake. When putting extra effort to remove the warden, the brake would unscrew from the barrel. You could install the washer and brake, torque it, and tell the user to be certain to use caution to keep the interface between the components from getting too dirty.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List