Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AIWB Heading Check

AIWB Heading Check

Just received my JMCK Wing Claw 2.0 for my Staccato C and wore it doing barn chores (unloaded). The holster is a perfect fit for the C with a bit of extra length for the Staccato P. The whole AIWB thing is very promising. I'm sitting at my desk typing in complete comfort. Looking at the attached picture I need to change the cant to shift the "point of aim" and access the grip a bit more naturally. My only minor concern is the spacing of the clips is such that the holster just fits between the belt loop and brass fly snap. Thee pants material is pretty thick (Duluth Fire Hose....), but I love these things for everyday winter wear. I think I'll have to try without the cam block since the block sits right behind a belt loop. I'm wearing a Mastermind inner belt so it's pretty flexible but there is quite a zig-zag between the DCC and the cam block. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Name:  Staccatp and JMCK Holster.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  37.2 KB

Might be just me, but that looks a little high?

Way high for my preference.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Is your belt threaded through the two front belt loops on your left side?

If it isn’t it should be, for stability of the belt/gun both while moving around and when drawing the pistol. The belt loops and weight of your pants will keep the belt from riding up which it looks like it is doing.

Looks high to me as well but that’s personal preference. My ideal is only high enough that I don’t totally scrape my knuckles on my belt during the draw.

I think losing the Mod Wing will compromise concealment. A big advantage of hammer fired guns is you don’t have the blocky back of a striker slide that gets pushed out if the grip gets pushed in too far, so you can be aggressive about tucking the grip.

If the spacing turns out to be a real issue you can look at models that place the clips together (like an AIWB 2.5 with the DCC option). It may also be worth trying using only one clip with the 2.0, removing the one that’s over the sight channel. Lots of divided opinion as to whether that works or allows too much “play,” but I’ve found I like it if I can make sure the clip is directly to the left of a belt loop - that seems to limit how far the holster can rotate to the right, but still allows it to shift enough that there is always at at least a little bit of reverse cant to conform with my body, which creates that more natural wrist angle and makes longer holsters especially more comfortable.

Some Clarification:
    • I'll definitely experiment with height. Not having AIWB experience I just slapped the thing on out of the box to get a first impression (very favorable).
    • The belt is threaded through those loops. The matching velcro flap is folded over that portion of the belt hiding the loops
    • The clips themselves seem to work fine. I have a Certum 3 that I use IWB and those clips are so stiff I couldn't manage them in my preferred 4:00 location (would have worked fine AIWB). I'll try on some of my warmer weather pants/shorts and see how those belt loops line up, but I'll figure out how to make the Duluth cargo pants work until things warm up.

I'm looking forward to the greater accessibility AIWB. Living in Idaho I'll often have a vest and jacket over the belt and drawing from IWB is challenging.

Be sure to try it with a weighted mag as well. You might find the top clip is not necessary and that may provide a slight rearward cant which some people prefer.

Site Supporter
    I own a Staccato C and have been carrying AIWB since 1978. Recommend you look at the Philster Enigma as the carry system. I have an LAS holster attached, but any wing claw style works. I use JM’s mag carrier on weak side. The discreet clip attaches nicely to belt just off enigma buckle.

Name:  4EFEAA44-715F-4B7E-A29A-9C55633E00C2.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  60.3 KB

The height looks fine to me, but I usually prefer a higher ride height so as to not scrape my knuckles on the belt and have an un-obstructed firing grip. If the gun and holster are stable (it's not trying to flop out) and is comfortable, run it. I'm still trying to find a holster that rides high enough for me.

I tended to prefer the wider spacing of the WC 2.0 for more stability in that the holster doesn't cant itself from where it is when I put it on and situated. Once again, personal preference matter there.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hideeho View Post
    I own a Staccato C and have been carrying AIWB since 1978. Recommend you look at the Philster Enigma as the carry system. I have an LAS holster attached, but any wing claw style works. I use JM’s mag carrier on weak side. The discreet clip attaches nicely to belt just off enigma buckle.

Name:  4EFEAA44-715F-4B7E-A29A-9C55633E00C2.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  60.3 KB
    I'm also a huge fan of the Enigma. You should try one of the Mastermind Tactics Low-pro mag pouches for your spare mag. It attaches to the to the Enigma more securely than anything else I've tried and is a lot more comfortable than Kydex. I do use a Kydex option for training when I have a need to reinsert the magazine multiple times though.

User Tag List