Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: New Federal 357 Magnum 154 grain HST load

Optics planet is listing it as shipping in 7-14 days… at close to fifty clams for a box of twenty.

Think I will wait a while for more competitive pricing from a more reliable supplier, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    That's very useful IF your foes are attacking in líne...

I've been checking Federal's website for this every couple of weeks. Looks like it is vaporware.

But hey, you can buy .30 Super Carry if you want.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I've been checking Federal's website for this every couple of weeks. Looks like it is vaporware.

But hey, you can buy .30 Super Carry if you want.
    For crying out loud they don't even need a new bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    For crying out loud they don't even need a new bullet.
    If they loaded the 147 grain HST bullet in a.357 case going 950 fps or so from my 640 Pro I would buy CASES of that shit.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Just make it .357. I don't actually know, but it seems like a set of tooling to run an existing bullet design 0.002" larger would be pretty straightforward.

One problem I can see with doing this is if they sold components and people mistakenly loaded .357 in 9mm, because they weigh the same, look the same, etc.

It would make a lot of sense at least to start development by making a .357 bullet at 158 grains by just stretching the 147gr 9mm HST however much that required and keeping all the metallurgy and forming the same.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Vending Machine Operator
    I love HST but the .357 Magnum isn't really a round I'm looking for improvement in. I have a few boxes of 125-grain Speer Gold Dot and Federal 357B on hand and I am highly confident they will do the job.

However, while I'm not a very gung-ho .357 Magnum shooter I do understand some people really prefer the 125 range and some people really prefer the 158 range, so I'm glad there are options.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Just make it .357. I don't actually know, but it seems like a set of tooling to run an existing bullet design 0.002" larger would be pretty straightforward.

One problem I can see with doing this is if they sold components and people mistakenly loaded .357 in 9mm, because they weigh the same, look the same, etc.

It would make a lot of sense at least to start development by making a .357 bullet at 158 grains by just stretching the 147gr 9mm HST however much that required and keeping all the metallurgy and forming the same.
    Or make a cannelure so it could be properly crimped at the proper length.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I love HST but the .357 Magnum isn't really a round I'm looking for improvement in. I have a few boxes of 125-grain Speer Gold Dot and Federal 357B on hand and I am highly confident they will do the job.

However, while I'm not a very gung-ho .357 Magnum shooter I do understand some people really prefer the 125 range and some people really prefer the 158 range, so I'm glad there are options.
    I think the biggest room for growth in the .357 round is for folks with J and K frame revolvers who want a "street load" that is hotter than .38+P but not quite full Rhino Roller.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I think the biggest room for growth in the .357 round is for folks with J and K frame revolvers who want a "street load" that is hotter than .38+P but not quite full Rhino Roller.
    There are a couple out there - R-P 125-grain Golden Sabre and Speer 135-grain short-barrel Gold Dot. They're just usually unavailable.

User Tag List