Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Federal 357 Magnum 154 grain HST load

Old school 158 gr. Winchester Super-X JHP @ 1235 fps went 11.4" after auto glass, 13.9" after car door, and about 17-18 inches in the other FBI protocol tests.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    It's the book max with be-86. I think its 9.1gr
    Thank you.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    1. Midway. Ordered Nov. 8 and delivered Nov. 11, 2021 (looked it up in my order history). Was limited to 3 boxes. (I think that’s the first, darker lot number).
    2. LGS in the 3rd week of November. The set aside a few boxes for me when it came in. They haven’t had any since.

Miwall shows it in stock as of this post, but I have never purchased from them and have no idea how they are to deal with.
    Miwall was excellent to deal with as a government customer. I will be going back to them as a private citizen. Good folks and good communication.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    And we don't need to score a case or half case to make sure it cycles!!!!
    Well... I have a friend with a Coonan that might disagree with you.

If the velocity is where y'all are speculating I might buy several cases just to have one less thing to worry about the rest of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    Well... I have a friend with a Coonan that might disagree with you.

If the velocity is where y'all are speculating I might buy several cases just to have one less thing to worry about the rest of my life!
    Me too. Even before the pandemic, most of the really good .38 Special loads like Gold Dot Short Barrel were only sporadically available, and the .357 Gold Dot Short Barrel was even worse. I may just say "ouch" and buy a supply that will last long enough to get me to the point where the only things my hands will tolerate will be wadcutters.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    Miwall was excellent to deal with as a government customer. I will be going back to them as a private citizen. Good folks and good communication.
    I’m sure you’re right, but their shipping charges are considerably out of line from the suppliers I normally use. Pity.

So...this is vaguely interesting, although likely a mistake.

I was browsing the 2022 Vista LE catalog:

https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/download...og_singles.pdf

See pages 10 and 12 -- there is a .357 Mag 125 grain HST load listed, with a velocity of 1360 from a 4" barrel (same as the 125 .357 SIG load next door...). The load number listed, P357HST1S, is the same one appearing on the (mockup image?) pic of the 154 grain HST box. Possibilities:

- There are both 125 and 154 grain .357 Mag HST loads emerging, one from the LE line and one Personal Defense, and they didn't have the load numbers fully sorted at catalog time.

- The 125 grain load listed in the catalog is an error, with the 125 SIG ballistics copied and pasted. The 154 is the only one coming out, but the specs were not ready for the catalog layout.

The latter seems more likely, as marketing a LE .357 Mag load would reach about 12 cops at this point. (I say that with fondness, having started my career with a .357 in my duty holster, and knowing that those 12 cops are probably still quite dangerous.)

Thoughts?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    So...this is vaguely interesting, although likely a mistake.

I was browsing the 2022 Vista LE catalog:

https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/download...og_singles.pdf

See pages 10 and 12 -- there is a .357 Mag 125 grain HST load listed, with a velocity of 1360 from a 4" barrel (same as the 125 .357 SIG load next door...). The load number listed, P357HST1S, is the same one appearing on the (mockup image?) pic of the 154 grain HST box. Possibilities:

- There are both 125 and 154 grain .357 Mag HST loads emerging, one from the LE line and one Personal Defense, and they didn't have the load numbers fully sorted at catalog time.

- The 125 grain load listed in the catalog is an error, with the 125 SIG ballistics copied and pasted. The 154 is the only one coming out, but the specs were not ready for the catalog layout.

The latter seems more likely, as marketing a LE .357 Mag load would reach about 12 cops at this point. (I say that with fondness, having started my career with a .357 in my duty holster, and knowing that those 12 cops are probably still quite dangerous.)

Thoughts?
    I'm interested in the 154gr cartridge. It'd be great out of a L-frame and is heavy enough to probably not pose a problem for K-frames.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    I'm really interested in any modern upgrade to .357 Magnum ammo. Would like to see some correctly done, independent testing of it. I have access to some Texas whitetails that should be impressed with it.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I'm really interested in any modern upgrade to .357 Magnum ammo. Would like to see some correctly done, independent testing of it. I have access to some Texas whitetails that should be impressed with it.
    Let us know when you get to test it. We'll be over to help you dispose of the backstrap.

User Tag List