Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Federal 357 Magnum 154 grain HST load

New Federal 357 Magnum 154 grain HST load

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...st-357-magnum/

"This new HST .357 Magnum load uses specially designed jacketed hollow point (JHP) projectiles. They were designed to defeat barriers without plugging up the hollow point. The JHP weighs 154-grains, finding the sweet spot between penetration and consistent bullet expansion. The nickel-plated case and high-performance primers give shooters assurances that their rounds will go off when they need them the most."

I'm not finding anything on it's velocity etc.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 01-07-2022 at 09:22 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Daddy Like.

Folks aren't going to like this, but I hope it's a pretty lazy load. Somewhere around 1250fps would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Daddy Like.

Folks aren't going to like this, but I hope it's a pretty lazy load. Somewhere around 1250fps would be ideal.
    I'm going to double down on your lazy and hope it specs around 1000 from a short barrel. More low-recoil options for steel frame snubs would be nice.

Site Supporter
    Yeah, there are enough fast 357 loads, 9mm 147 gr HST is around 1000 fps, I think you guys are right on the money.

I dunno. To keep up with the .30 Super Loud, they've got to load it to insane chamber pressures, I think.

I don't shoot any .357 Mag anymore, so no dog in the fight, but I'm guessing "the market" is going to clamor for MOAR VELOCITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    I'm going to double down on your lazy and hope it specs around 1000 from a short barrel. More low-recoil options for steel frame snubs would be nice.
    I was thinking ~1200 from a 4". Typically .357 loses ~100fps per inch. So that'd put it right on 1000 out of a snub.

I got you covered...mostly cause I thought the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    I just walked in the door from shooting 60 rounds through my brand new 640 Pro in the side yard, and that is exactly what I would like this load to be.

Not that we'll actually be able to buy it any time soon.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

My apologies, I thought I included ".357" in the thread title. Meant to.

How interesting they landed at 154 grains though. Makes me think "beaver will shine again!"
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    My apologies, I thought I included ".357" in the thread title. Meant to.

How interesting they landed at 154 grains though. Makes me think "beaver will shine again!"
    Interesting to me is how I read, "154 grain HST" and thought, "Oh sweet, they finally did a .357 Mag HST!" -

Without needing to read the .357 part...I guess I just figured at 154-grains we were dealing with a .357" sized bullet...

And we don't need to score a case or half case to make sure it cycles!!!!

User Tag List