Thread: Eye Opening Session Shooting from the Ready

Eye Opening Session Shooting from the Ready

Watch a Langdon video where he talks about shooting from the ready position, in his vernacular the point of the draw stroke at which the gun is level and the support hand has made contact with the strong hand. As it happens we were at the range the following day and me being grumpy about setting up and moving targets in the slush I elected not to shed warm clothes in order to holster up. So all my "draws", approximately 40 in a Steel Challenge practice session, were from this ready position; I missed the draw plate once and the 39 or so hits didn't required any sight line adjustment prior to breaking the shot; drive the gun, squeeze the trigger.

I've known for a long time that variability in my support hand placement was the weak link in my draw, but this session really brought this home. My mechanics getting the the gun from surrender are solid; I can obviously get on target when pressing out. What I need to do is work on my weak hand mechanics go get it in the right place at the right time. I'm feeling a bit like Mr. Obvious, but at least the light bulb eventually turned on.

I am in my 4th year in idpa and having a blast. One thing I have noticed w/ my draws is that the old thing about going slow to go fast can definitely be applied. Nearly every time I see that I am missing shots that I shouldn't be missing, I find that slowing down so I am certain I have a proper grip is the fix. When I see videos of guys doing a draw and one shot in about one second, I realize that slowing down may actually only be .1 second slower. But if .1 slower gets me a hit vs a miss it is definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I am in my 4th year in idpa and having a blast. One thing I have noticed w/ my draws is that the old thing about going slow to go fast can definitely be applied. Nearly every time I see that I am missing shots that I shouldn't be missing, I find that slowing down so I am certain I have a proper grip is the fix. When I see videos of guys doing a draw and one shot in about one second, I realize that slowing down may actually only be .1 second slower. But if .1 slower gets me a hit vs a miss it is definitely worth it.
    A weird mental game tip: Consider rephrasing "slow down" to something like "be more careful." It's a more specific cue.
    David S.

David, that's a good idea.

you think that's bad...

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Watch a Langdon video where he talks about shooting from the ready position, in his vernacular the point of the draw stroke at which the gun is level and the support hand has made contact with the strong hand. As it happens we were at the range the following day and me being grumpy about setting up and moving targets in the slush I elected not to shed warm clothes in order to holster up. So all my "draws", approximately 40 in a Steel Challenge practice session, were from this ready position; I missed the draw plate once and the 39 or so hits didn't required any sight line adjustment prior to breaking the shot; drive the gun, squeeze the trigger.

I've known for a long time that variability in my support hand placement was the weak link in my draw, but this session really brought this home. My mechanics getting the the gun from surrender are solid; I can obviously get on target when pressing out. What I need to do is work on my weak hand mechanics go get it in the right place at the right time. I'm feeling a bit like Mr. Obvious, but at least the light bulb eventually turned on.
    Imagine finding this out when doing the FAST. That's what happened to me. I am a speed demon on the draw but failed support hand placement screwed up my sight alignment and I rode the slide release keeping the slide from locking back. Doesn't happen often (usually once out of every 10 draws), but it happens often enough that it happened during the FAST Coin test. Back to the drawing board. No point in having a sub-second draw to first shot if the sights aren't always there and I'm inducing problems due to an occasional grip misplacement. Now I'm training to REALLY focus on my support hand grip to the point where I can't get it wrong.

User Tag List