Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal's newish .30 Super, aka a 'spicier' 7.65x20mm Longue

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I doubt it crossed anybody's mind at Vista. Nor Italy.
    Agreed...

https://youtu.be/GP_c1Pp2JUI

Some shooting footage here. Is Ian McCollums presence a portent that it will flop?

Probably the best rundown video so far; velocity confirmed at 100gr @ 1250fps from a 4" barrel, and JHP's will work reliably from as short as a 3" barrel. Also mentions that many other pistol manufacturers are contacting federal about the cartridge.

I think the +2 capacity is interesting. But I think the real gold would be leveraging the narrower diameter of the cartridge to create a true 'dual feed' magazine like that used in the Steyr GB / FN Five seven, where the mag is double stacked all the way to the top. This allows squeezing in an extra round (the GB has a 18rd mag the size of a 17rd Glock mag, for example.) With 30 SC that would result in an overall +3 capacity vs 9mm. IE a 15rd 9mm G48 would become a 18rd G48 30SC. If pistol designers can pull of a +3, I think we would see more interest in the cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Probably the best rundown video so far; velocity confirmed at 100gr @ 1250fps from a 4" barrel, and JHP's will work reliably from as short as a 3" barrel. Also mentions that many other pistol manufacturers are contacting federal about the cartridge.

I think the +2 capacity is interesting. But I think the real gold would be leveraging the narrower diameter of the cartridge to create a true 'dual feed' magazine like that used in the Steyr GB / FN Five seven, where the mag is double stacked all the way to the top. This allows squeezing in an extra round (the GB has a 18rd mag the size of a 17rd Glock mag, for example.) With 30 SC that would result in an overall +3 capacity vs 9mm. IE a 15rd 9mm G48 would become a 18rd G48 30SC. If pistol designers can pull of a +3, I think we would see more interest in the cartridge.

I spoke to the same guy while at the show and asked specifically about the performance on the rest of the FBI tests specifically about the sheet metal and laminated windshield glass tests. He said the HST performs basically the same as the 9mm version but recommended the Gold Dot for better windshield performance if that was important. He mentioned the same factors about weight, velocity and sectional density as well as barrel length for velocity figures to me so he is consistent.

I agree with your suggestion to add a round through true double stack and double feed mag design. It would need to be a ground up gun to do so but maybe that would work out well for an associated PCC which with this cartridge would be a good combo. A PCC would add barrel length and more control with a lot more capacity which would be really nice if it shared mags with a handgun line.

I'm curious how this cartridge will perform with a carry comp on it since the pressures are what they are.

I said as much but was conterposted that it wouldn't work because the Russians had tried it and went back to center feed on some gun I had never heard of.

It would make a .30 wider at the rails which would not be a mechanical problem but who wants a .30 service pistol?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I wish that Federal would stop the comparison to 380 Auto.

The 30 Super Carry is being introduced to the market in 9X19mm and 45 Auto sized pistols.

I doubt that many, if any, manufacturers will make smaller, 30 Super Carry specific guns when pistols like the SIG P365 are already deemed uncomfortably small by a large number of shooters.

The 30 Super Carry may prove to be a fine cartridge, but I am despising the marketing hype.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    JHP's will work reliably from as short as a 3" barrel.
    Federal's performance claims for new loads in recent years have been confirmed by independent testing, so when Chris Laack says something, I tend to believe it. That being said, before I have a firm opinion about the cartridge I'll need to see some gel testing from a 3.1" Shield barrel. Velocities are already falling 50' short of advertised from the 3.675" EZ barrel; at some point, performance is going to deteriorate.

If, from a 3.1" barrel, it has performance overlap with lightweight 9mm loads, that will be a win. If it's merely a bit better than .380 from the Shield, it's not worth the bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    I wish that Federal would stop the comparison to 380 Auto.
    Bullet weights are very similar between the two and a bunch of people who don't want the recoil and muzzle blast of a 9mm will look at a marked improvement over the 380 ACP with hungry eyes. I'm betting the comparison sells a ton of guns.

If it fit into typical .380 sized guns then it might be something

When case ammo is within 10% of 9mm then it might work for people with "capacity insecurity" (Yes I understand most don't practice or properly break in their gats so ammo cost is not a consideration)

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    If it fit into typical .380 sized guns then it might be something
    30 Super Carry has a maximum overall cartridge length of 1.169" and can not be chambered in micro 380 sized pistols.

Small 380 Auto magazines can only accept a cartridge of one inch or shorter. Since 30 Super Carry is the same overall length as 9mm Luger, the only way to make a pistol in that caliber smaller is to make the grip frame thinner. Most manufacturers will simply chamber their existing 9mm, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP sized guns in this new round since it is the simplest, and therefore, cheapest option.

User Tag List