Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal's newish .30 Super, aka a 'spicier' 7.65x20mm Longue

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    You leave out the part about shortening the 7.65 by 2mm. And the development process was not a single step, DWM tinkered around a good bit. I have seen a picture of an 8mm P cartridge, still with bottleneck because it has a heel bullet. There was a 9mm with a faint bottleneck.
    I rather suspect the funky taper helped feeding in the Luger, designed for a bottleneck. Otherwise they could have made it a 9.3mm straight case; everybody had .366" barrel tooling.

Nobody was going back to the 7.65 in the trenches because nobody in the trenches HAD 7.65s. The only armies I know of offhand that bought the small bore Lugers were Switzerland, Portugal, and Finland; the latter two after WWI.
    The main French issue was the 8mm revolver and as many .32 autos as they could get from Spain and even the US, there is a French contract 1907 Savage.
    There were surely some 7.63 Mausers, back in a day when officers bought their own sidearms. Some limey name of Churchill had already done that.
    ...like the russians did with the 9x18 Makarov

And we are left wondering WHY they didn't mod the original case to 9.3x20 or so. A 130 gr 9.3mm diameter bullet @ 1,200+ fps would had been a nice round

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Saw this on another forum, gives some estimate of what the .30 SC is capable of at full pressure / shows that muzzle blast should be comparable to full power 9mm +P.

Thanks for posting that.

Taking the QuickLoad predictions with the understanding that they are always subject to confirmation through actual testing, it appears that residual pressure might not be as bad as I'd expected.

After considering the .30 Super cartridge for these last few days, I remain ambivalent about it at best.

The .30 Super certainly isn't going to supplant the 9mm anytime soon because physics!. I'd rather they went the other way (upwards) and split the difference between the 40S&W and the 9mm with a 0.375'' bore offering since it would likely have required a lower operating pressure to get ''service-caliber'' performance. Maybe Federal/ATK will do that next year.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    And we are left wondering WHY they didn't mod the original case to 9.3x20 or so. A 130 gr 9.3mm diameter bullet @ 1,200+ fps would had been a nice round
    Feeding like the 7.65 bottleneck is my story and I am sticking to it.

I don't think they could have gotten than much out of a hypothetical 9.3 Parabellum; that is high end .38 Auto, close to current production .38 Super in their longer actions.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Isn't this basically 7.62TOK ballistics, but with a smaller case head diameter for an additional 15% or so capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Isn't this basically 7.62TOK ballistics, but with a smaller case head diameter for an additional 15% or so capacity?
    Sort of. Standard hot 7.62x25 by like SB is 85gr @1450-1500, which .30SC should be capable of. But full power 7.62x25 hand loads can put a 115gr @ 1450, and 85gr @ 1700fps, which is beyond what we could see out of .30 SC as it lacks the case capacity.

https://brassfetcher.com/Handguns/7....7.62x25mm.html

Federal discusses the reasons behind the new 30 SC:

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Federal discusses the reasons behind the new 30 SC:
    Ok, so right at the beginning he says “We saw a big gap between everything up to .380 and 9mm and up”. Then he spends the rest of the video talking about it being “hot” and ballistically a 9mm equivalent.

How does that fill the gap?

I’m waiting for a shooting impression in an LCP- or even a G42-sized pistol. ;-)

Again, the .30SC is at the maximum 9mm OAL, you are not going to put in in a .380 frame no matter if it is made of adamant and unobtanium.

My G43 is all the fun I want out of 9mm and it will be a snap to rebarrel one for .30 SC.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

As the proud owner of BHPs in both 9mm and 7.65 Parabellum, I can attest that there is very little difference in muzzle blast between stand pressure 9 and the 7.65. Therefore, I would certainly expect 9mm +P and .30 SC to be very similar.

As far as the usefulness of the .30 SC, it strikes me as more of a "shiny new object" than something that responds to a pressing need. I predict it will turn into a niche caliber, just like all the .32 revolver cartridges out there. (Says the guy with the .30 Luger BHP!)

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    As the proud owner of BHPs in both 9mm and 7.65 Parabellum, I can attest that there is very little difference in muzzle blast between stand pressure 9 and the 7.65. Therefore, I would certainly expect 9mm +P and .30 SC to be very similar.
    Standard pressure 9mm and 7.65 Parabellum have maximum chamber pressures of no greater than 35,000 psi.
    9mm +P is 38,500 psi according to SAAMI.
    9mm +P+ is typically loaded to 20-25% higher pressure than normal, so possibly 42,000 psi.
    30 Super Carry may be loaded close to 50,000 psi.
    9x19mm is also very effective with subsonic loads while no such loads currently exist for 30 Super Carry.

User Tag List