Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal's newish .30 Super, aka a 'spicier' 7.65x20mm Longue

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Curious how the .30 Super Carry will perform in Vyse gelatin after the IWBA 4-layer denim barrier. Federal only provided the FBI heavy clothing barrier result when this new cartridge was announced. These Clear Gel tests are not encouraging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8JJjqrFDYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OV-9h_twbY

If Federal wants the .30 Super Carry to succeed and if it's capable of better performance in proper ordnance gelatin, then they should have released proper test results with denim, drywall, and other barriers ten months ago.

Since they haven't, either the results aren't great or Federal didn't even think it was worth the time and effort to fully test and develop the .30 Super Carry to its greatest potential.
    I'm going to be shooting it through heavy clothing also.

As far as other barriers, I don't think this round is intended as a service caliber since there are no duty size pistols made for it at this point, so maybe not as relevant.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Federal has updated its .30SC graphics to reflect a +3 gain relative to 10rds of 9mm:

If we imagine both of these stacks doubled in length, a 20rd 9mm mag would hold 26rd. Tripled a 30rd 9mm mag would hold 39rd.

If other companies take the plunge for .30SC, we could see a G19X 19rd (17+2) length mag that holds 25rd, and a G18 33rd 9mm mag that holds 40-42rd.

The real question for me though is what a 17rd 9mm mag will transfer to. Will it be 20, or 21-22?

A SIG Macro with a 21-22rd flush fit mag would get very interesting, even moreso with 25rd reload mags the length of a Glock 17+2.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Federal has updated its .30SC graphics to reflect a +3 gain relative to 10rds of 9mm:

That graph is deceptive... the stacks are NOT the same lenght

on the left side, 30 Super: 7.5*0.344" = 2.58"

on the right, 9 mm Para: 5.5*0.392" = 2.167" ; if we increase the stack to 6.5 (12 rounds) 6.5*0.392" = 2.548"

Double stack, single feed mags are not compared exactly like this due to the transition zone, but still I very much doubt that apples to apples you would get +3 rounds in a lenght that fits 10 rounds of 9 mm Para.

I think the rubber will meet the road for .30SC when a dedicated pistol is designed around the cartridge. One thats either smaller/narrower/lighter then 9mm, or of an unusual high capacity (such as using a full double feed magazine ala Steyr GB to get a +4 capacity boost over 9mm.)

Although a 20+1 SIG Macro in .30SC might move the needle.

I think developing a 85gr 'low recoil' .30SC load might also help it out.
    You could make the gun slimmer, but since the 30 Super has exactly the same recoil impulse of the 9 mm Para, you cannot (apples to apples, using the same design tricks for both) make it lighter. Recoil operated pistols work that way...

I a low recoil load is developed (in physics, not in name only), then the overall weight of the recoiling parts could be reduced, but at the cost of making the gun less than optimal por the "normal" recoil loads.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    That graph is deceptive... the stacks are NOT the same lenght

on the left side, 30 Super: 7.5*0.344" = 2.58"

on the right, 9 mm Para: 5.5*0.392" = 2.167" ; if we increase the stack to 6.5 (12 rounds) 6.5*0.392" = 2.548"

Double stack, single feed mags are not compared exactly like this due to the transition zone, but still I very much doubt that apples to apples you would get +3 rounds in a lenght that fits 10 rounds of 9 mm Para.
    Thank you for doing the math.

Perhaps it's more a reflection of clever engineering rather than the cartridge alone, but S&W has gotten +3 with the Shield Plus, using an identical mag length/gun size. The flush fit mag holds 13x 30sc vs 10x 9mm.

I guess we must wait and see for what a longer mag will result in capacity wise.

You could make the gun slimmer, but since the 30 Super has exactly the same recoil impulse of the 9 mm Para, you cannot (apples to apples, using the same design tricks for both) make it lighter. Recoil operated pistols work that way...

I a low recoil load is developed (in physics, not in name only), then the overall weight of the recoiling parts could be reduced, but at the cost of making the gun less than optimal por the "normal" recoil loads.
    What I had imagined is a dedicated 30SC gun thats a bit slimmer, and comparable in weight to the very lightest 9mm guns.

KelTec PF9 = 12.6oz
    Rohrbaugh R9 = 13.5oz
    KelTec P15 = 14oz

By being slimmer, the 30SC guns could hopefully hit these weights as a matter of course, rather than being oddball ultralights. Hopefully without having to be made by KelTec.

Thank you for doing the math.

Perhaps it's more a reflection of clever engineering rather than the cartridge alone, but S&W has gotten +3 with the Shield Plus, using an identical mag length/gun size. The flush fit mag holds 13x 30sc vs 10x 9mm.

I guess we must wait and see for what a longer mag will result in capacity wise.
    The Shield Plus as a very unique magazine that tapers very early to single stack...

The Shield Plus as a very unique magazine that tapers very early to single stack...
    True, but it still holds 3 more rounds then the 9.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    True, but it still holds 3 more rounds then the 9.
    ...that's the "apples to apples" part, this design favours thinner rounds. A normal double 9 mm stack metal mag is no really an impediment to make a thin pistol, unless you really try to squeeze down to the last (irrelevant) mm.

So, this is where Federal needs to make inroads. It is not the same recoil impulse! Try it yourself. I was a huge naysaer, until I shot the Shield in .30. It is loud like a crack, but recoil is brief and almost straight back if that makes sense. I really liked it. I will get a shield when one pops up locally.

User Tag List