Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal's newish .30 Super, aka a 'spicier' 7.65x20mm Longue

When does the lower pressure version make its way into the supply chain ?

Eventually one will be made, IMHO. Much like the full power 10MM.. I just can't see the handguns handling the full power operating PSI.

I just can't see the advantages for us common folk.

If the ammo was cheaper than 9MM, or even the same price.. it would be more interesting.

But, a quick search, shows 30SC to be a little less then twice the cost of comparable 9MM SD ammo.

I doesn't take much to figure out you can get "twice" the practice ammo for the same money with a 9MM.

I want to like the 30SC, but I am not prepared to pay twice the price over the 9MM. ... especially for a few more rounds in a slim magazine.

Maybe if I concealed carried more often ... and that is a big,big maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by bfoosh006 View Post
    When does the lower pressure version make its way into the supply chain ?

Eventually one will be made, IMHO. Much like the full power 10MM.. I just can't see the handguns handling the full power operating PSI.

I just can't see the advantages for us common folk.

If the ammo was cheaper than 9MM, or even the same price.. it would be more interesting.

But, a quick search, shows 30SC to be a little less then twice the cost of comparable 9MM SD ammo.

I doesn't take much to figure out you can get "twice" the practice ammo for the same money with a 9MM.

I want to like the 30SC, but I am not prepared to pay twice the price over the 9MM. ... especially for a few more rounds in a slim magazine.

Maybe if I concealed carried more often ... and that is a big,big maybe.

What little of it I've seen available online is comparable in price to .38 Special and .380 from the same manufacturer's, but availability is the big bottleneck for me right now.
    Of course that is an issue I've been having with both those cartridges as well recently.

We will have to see on how guns will handle cartridge long term, but the fact that most will be built on 9mm platforms should give a bit more wiggle room in that regard. I take it as analogous to guns that were built around .40 S&W being exceptionally durable when chambered in 9mm( like the USP series). At least that is my hope.

I'm waiting for 2 things before I dip my toes in this pool, and that is:

1. Ammo availability, until I can see it on store shelves at least as frequently as .357 Sig or .45 GAP, and online relatively reliably in stock I'm holding off. Expecting 9mm prices and availability, which is essentially the universal standard for the entire worlds armed forces and police and has the manufacturing base to match, is not realistic for any other cartridge.

2. Guns. The only thing currently available is the Shield EZ. While I like the concept of the gun, I've not been enamored with the examples I've seen, and would probably go for the .380 option if I did, as it makes the most sense to me for that particular gun.
    I'm waiting mostly for the Shield + option to drop because I have much more familiarity with that line, the cartridge fits that niche the Shield fills for me much better, and I can direct compare it side by side with the 9mm version.

I think the biggest mistake Federal has made with this product launch is trying to compete and compare to 9mm.
    If they had focused on making a better .380 instead it might be more favorably recieved.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post

I think the biggest mistake Federal has made with this product launch is trying to compete and compare to 9mm.
    If they had focused on making a better .380 instead it might be more favorably recieved.

I'm pretty sure there is an engineer at Federal sitting in a dark office drinking gin at 0930 muttering "all I wanted was to build a better .380" because the rest of the team go bit by the MOAR bug.

The only way this caliber makes sense is if someone has no guns, no ammo and can build from the ground up. I cannot justify the expense in buying into this new caliber as I have nothing to gain by it.

That is the target market for the caliber. Don't own a concealed carry gun or want the newest one then this is the gun/caliber. Those that want a 9mm sized gun that holds a couple more rounds, is a little lighter and may have slightly lighter recoil this is for them. Those that already own 9mm sized CC gun, have holsters, ammo, reload or aren't concerned with minor differences between 9mm and 30SC likely won't be buying the guns anytime soon.

I'll wait and see how it works out. If it does well maybe as I age and want lighter, more rounds and possibly less recoil and the minor differences are enough I would consider adding it to the collection. There were a lot of new gun buyers over the last year or two. A bunch likely bought long guns or something less than ideal may be a good sized market for the caliber.

30 SC was released with much fanfare, then basically nothing.

This the first actual review I've seen with chronograph numbers, plus the debatable but always amusing 'meat test.'

Velocity from the 3.675" Shield EZ barrel is pretty good, but not amazing.
    100gr HTP @ 1193fps

115gr Gold Dot @ 1045fps

I think they've definitely loaded this more to the ~38-40kpsi zone then the full house 50kpsi, which was a 100gr @ 1350fps from an unknown (4"? 5"?) barrel. Better choice for recoil and blast, but less interesting from a ballistics nerd perspective.

Still curious what handloaders will be capable of with the round.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    30 SC was released with much fanfare, then basically nothing.

This the first actual review I've seen with chronograph numbers, plus the debatable but always amusing 'meat test.'

Velocity from the 3.675" Shield EZ barrel is pretty good, but not amazing.
    100gr HTP @ 1193fps

115gr Gold Dot @ 1045fps

I think they've definitely loaded this more to the ~38-40kpsi zone then the full house 50kpsi, which was a 100gr @ 1350fps from an unknown (4"? 5"?) barrel. Better choice for recoil and blast, but less interesting from a ballistics nerd perspective.

Still curious what handloaders will be capable of with the round.

As long as terminal ballistics arent sacrificed, and they can still meet FBI minimum requirements, I do not care for the particulars.

I'm waiting to see the Shield Plus available, and LGS actually stocking ammo before I make my decision on whether I want jump on board.

I happen to be a minion at the dreaded LGS. When the 30 SC announcement came out, I convinced the boss to go ahead & order one of the S&Ws - somebody ALWAYS wants to be the first guy on the block.
    Well it has sat in the counter for a month along with a couple hundred rounds of ammo and no one has even asked to see it! It'll probably end up being my Christmas bonus this year

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    I happen to be a minion at the dreaded LGS. When the 30 SC announcement came out, I convinced the boss to go ahead & order one of the S&Ws - somebody ALWAYS wants to be the first guy on the block.
    Well it has sat in the counter for a month along with a couple hundred rounds of ammo and no one has even asked to see it! It'll probably end up being my Christmas bonus this year
    The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    When the 30 SC announcement came out, I convinced the boss to go ahead & order one of the S&Ws - somebody ALWAYS wants to be the first guy on the block.
    Well it has sat in the counter for a month along with a couple hundred rounds of ammo and no one has even asked to see it!
    Maybe it needs more Smith & Wesson marketing hype

"Introducing the all-new 30 Super Carry® from Federal® – the most revolutionary self- defense advancement in nearly 100-years. More than just an all-new cartridge, the compact design represents an entirely new cartridge engineered for absolute performance by every measure."

Are the guns smaller and lighter than 9x19mm? Not yet.

Is there less perceived recoil and muzzle blast than standard pressure 9mm? Not really.

Is the terminal performance better than 9mm? No.

Are the slides easier to rack or the magazines easier to load compared to 9x19mm? No.

Is the ammo as inexpensive, ubiquitous, and versatile/diverse as the 9x19mm? Perhaps 120 years from now.

Are guns chambered in 30 Super Carry more reliable than 9x19mm ones? Doubtful with similar quality ammo.

Is accuracy better? Debatable. Both are capable of excellent accuracy.

Can it be used in the two most popular action shooting competitions, USPSA and IDPA? No.

Can it be legally used for medium or large game hunting? Not if there is a foot pound of energy requirement.

Is it possible to get 1 or 2 more rounds of magazine capacity than an identical sized compact 9mm? YES!!!

Clearly the 30 Super Carry is “The most revolutionary advancement in self-defense history.”
    Last edited by Velo Dog; 04-23-2022 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is an engineer at Federal sitting in a dark office drinking gin at 0930 muttering "all I wanted was to build a better .380" because the rest of the team go bit by the MOAR bug.

The only way this caliber makes sense is if someone has no guns, no ammo and can build from the ground up. I cannot justify the expense in buying into this new caliber as I have nothing to gain by it.
    Nothing to gain, except a couple of rounds in each magazine.

I think it's worth noting that the original Luger cartridge was .30 cal and was later changed to .35 cal because of people's fears over it being too small. I think this only validates the concept that you don't NEED 9mm to get great ballistics and the trend towards 5.7, 22 mag, etc. is the extension of this. I wouldn't carry those calibers generally but I would carry this .30 SC round happily, that's where it makes the most sense.

User Tag List