Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal's newish .30 Super, aka a 'spicier' 7.65x20mm Longue

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    "380 size gun", what a load of BS fron the Federal tech guys... I know it is a commercial, but it must be difficult to keep a straight face

This ammo has the same recoil impulse of a 9mm, and in a conventional recoil operated pistol NEEDS the same recoiling mass (barrel + slide). End of story.
    At best, Federal has re-invented the wheel so to speak. Federal's comparison of the .30 Super to the 9mm Luger admits that much. So, the market must now decide, ''Is switching to another caliber that barely accomplishes what the 9mm can do worth the (added) expense and trouble even though it gives us another round or two in the magazine that could also be gained by the use of an extended floor plate?''

The law of diminishing returns seems to have reared its ugly head.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Enough naysaying sounds familiar enough to the predicted failure of P3AT knock-offs, various single-stack nines "too late to the market", the G42, grumpy 45 ACP devotees during the rise of kids with the Europellet, etc. that I'm going to predict a wild success.

The industry has spemt decades building a cargo cult around capacity and low recoiling full pressure cartridges that the market is likely primed.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    The industry has spent decades building a cargo cult around capacity and low recoiling full pressure cartridges that the market is likely primed.
    "The root of all product failure starts with an unclear or poorly planned vision. And, most of the time, a poorly planned vision is rooted in arrogance. GM execs cared more about imposing their vision onto customers instead of trying to understand their customer's needs."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhsvRukn0lE

The 30 Super Carry seems like it was designed by committee, rather than being one person's brainchild.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Sure there is. They call it Open.
    Well played, sir.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

First 30 Super Carry compared to 9mm in same guns. Unfortunately it is clear gel but at least it is apples to apples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFLgL3MLnno

Video starts a couple minutes in.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    First 30 Super Carry compared to 9mm in same guns. Unfortunately it is clear gel but at least it is apples to apples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFLgL3MLnno

Video starts a couple minutes in.
    His first video comparison is also worth a watch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LSmmdO5FbU

A buddy just picked up a vanilla Shield EZ and reports that it drives the dot out to the 50 yard berm at his usual range. As a guy who likes to bum around the woods, frequents stop & robs in town, and never carries a sparw magazine, he also mentioned the 25% increase in capacity over his previous 9mm model as a selling point. While comparing to the 9mm, he also commented on the 30 Super Carry being easier for him to shoot for groups for some reason.

While looking at his FMJ selection, I noticed the truncated nose. A quick check at Grafs shows 100 grain truncated conical lead powdercoat at a diameter of 0.313" in-stock. Now we're wondering if the gun could cycle a cast flat point in the neighborhood of 950fps as a small game and general fun load. May even pick up some wadcutters for him and see if they'll feed just to be That Guy.

I'm going to try being open-minded when I get to play with it and some dies come in. This could be a fun little general-purpose rig that uses less lead and powder than 9mm as component scarcity continues. And my mouth outran my intellect as I called dibs on the fool thing should he sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    It is not even a subject of discussion, ".30 Super Carry" does not come up on a search at Benos.
    Minimum caliber for all divisions including open in USPSA is 9mm. Federal is a pretty big sponsor, and S+W has been a big sponsor, so I'm not saying it couldn't change.

A 17 shot Shield Plus in an Enigma in summertime appeals to me.

The meat target has spoken.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List