Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal's newish .30 Super, aka a 'spicier' 7.65x20mm Longue

All I want for Christmas is a 6 shot .30 Super hammerless Airweight with 640 Pro sights and moon clips...

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    And if 1 mm jump down is good wouldn't two be better?
    So we're just back to 5.7x28 at that point, right?

Right that gets back to a true double-column magazine.

Site Supporter
    I wonder if those cranking out 9mm rounds on fast Dillon progressives will also churn 30 Super ammo? Cheap fired brass is not available. I doubt if powder used by Federal will become available as a canister product sold to reloaders, and I suspect that lead bullets will not be compatible. Of course, lead incompatibility by itself is not a deal breaker.

Decades ago Lyman's reloading manual editor listed the 38 Super and 220 Swift as two calibers that were difficult to reload. This one might land in the problematic category. I had such difficulty reloading 357 Sig that finally I used the brass in my sling shot where it performed admirably. I welcome the new round but conservatism and short sightedness limit my vision. I do think this round would do nicely in sub guns. Here it would be a real dandy!

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    It would need to be a ground up gun to do so but maybe that would work out well for an associated PCC which with this cartridge would be a good combo. A PCC would add barrel length and more control with a lot more capacity which would be really nice if it shared mags with a handgun line.
    A FN P90 chambered for .30SC would be a whole lot more interesting than 5.7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming the best, that .30 SC sells reasonably well as the supply chain is improved overall.

It's only effect on me will be loud curses as .30s get in with range pickup 9mm brass, like 40 in with 9 or .45 Small in with ACP.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    This is where I think Federal jumped the gun with .30 SC - they released it with 9mm pistols simply rechambered in 30SC, rather then cool purpose built pistols in 30SC.

To really be compelling, I think the 30SC is going to need guns designed around it, that leverage the narrower magazine and higher capacity and higher pressure for maximum advantage. Something that creates legit 'wow' factor beyond simply +2 capacity in existing 9mm firearms.

For example, a full size, 20+1, integrally compensated pistol thats as thin as the G48/P365, and lighter then a G17. That would turn heads.
    They should go with the single action retro zeitgeit, and have someone build new production SACM 1935A pistols.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    A FN P90 chambered for .30SC would be a whole lot more interesting than 5.7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd rather it be an MP7
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    So we're just back to 5.7x28 at that point, right?
    Speaking of reloading, with this being a non-rimmed cartridge with an extractor groove running 50ksi, I wonder if it will have the same issue that 5.7 has where the primer pockets get loose in just a few reloads?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Speaking of reloading, with this being a non-rimmed cartridge with an extractor groove running 50ksi, I wonder if it will have the same issue that 5.7 has where the primer pockets get loose in just a few reloads?
    I wonder that too. Last night I spent awhile looking up reloading for the 5.7x28 - since I mentioned it here. I've always kind of liked the cartridge and since the Gen 2.0 Five-Sevens came out with much better triggers, it has been kind of an interesting gun to me. Add in that I am actually reloading these days...why not, right? And hey

Whew, 30 minutes of reading about that cured me. The poly case coating, loose primer pockets, etc. It seems like if you got it worked out and found a mild load that run in your gun, it would be pretty gun. I was thinking about how it might be fun with Barnes or Lehigh bullets. But not worth the effort.

This popped up on Arfcom:

4.6" tall pistol with 15+1, now we're getting somewhere. Now if the next manufacturer can get it to 16+1 using a true dual feed mag...

User Tag List