Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal's newish .30 Super, aka a 'spicier' 7.65x20mm Longue

Well aware of the overall length and the fact that it's a higher pressure cartridge than a 9mm so it never work in a traditional compact 380 platform. That's why I don't see what this brings to the table whatsoever.

Seems like not that long ago and 9 mm was for sissies and sailors...... Real men carry a gun who's caliber starts with a 4.

Now we're going to the same jump down as it is from a 40 to a 9 with the 9 to the 30?

It may have less recoil but it's not going to recoil like a 380

Pretty soon defensive handgun calibers will look like a rifle caliber catalog

Right.
    AND, considering all the 9mm conversion barrels sold for .40 guns, I would expect Lone Wolf to have a lathe hot making a Glock 19 9 to .30 barrel to try as soon as they can find ammo.

Right out of the 19th century. There was a .40-70 Sharps Straight and a .40-70 Sharps Bottleneck.
    So now we can think of the .30 Auto Straight (.30 Super Carry) and .30 Auto Bottleneck (.30 Luger.)
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Bullet weights are very similar between the two and a bunch of people who don't want the recoil and muzzle blast of a 9mm will look at a marked improvement over the 380 ACP with hungry eyes.
    30 Super Carry is a high pressure cartridge that has nearly identical recoil as standard pressure 9mm Luger.

Some 9mm loads actually have less recoil
    https://www.hornadyle.com/handgun-am...gr-ftx-lite#!/

Don't be tricked by low bullet weights. 50 grain loads exist for the 9x19mm, but that doesn't mean that it is comparable to 25 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Well aware of the overall length and the fact that it's a higher pressure cartridge than a 9mm so it never work in a traditional compact 380 platform. That's why I don't see what this brings to the table whatsoever.

Seems like not that long ago and 9 mm was for sissies and sailors...... Real men carry a gun who's caliber starts with a 4.

Now we're going to the same jump down as it is from a 40 to a 9 with the 9 to the 30?

It may have less recoil but it's not going to recoil like a 380

This is the point Federal seems to be focused on and why they are bringing this cartridge to the market. If 40 was THE cartridge for years after 86 FBI Miami incident but technology and understanding progressed why wouldn't the same 1mm jump down in bullet diameter and further progression work out the same while being a little less in recoil and adding a couple rounds capacity just like the 9 does over the 40.

And if 1 mm jump down is good wouldn't two be better?

I am all for the industry bringing out new products that drive sales as hopefully that money will go to developing stuff that's actually useful. I love the shotguns without stocks and the 410 revolvers and all the other inbred white trash s*** that provides money to make the real products better.

So if federal and speer and all the gun manufacturers can make money I am all for it.

I have always solved my capacity issues with another magazine not forcing one or two more into a less reliable magazine. I never felt a 40 with 13 rounds was any less viable than a 9 mm with 15 rounds.

Just as a side note the only thing the 40 brought to the table for me was major in IPSC.

I'm sure the new super duper caliber works just fine as spear and Federal etc make great ammunition. Look forward to independent industry testing and to see which .gov and LEO organizations switch to the caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    30 Super Carry is a high pressure cartridge that has nearly identical recoil as standard pressure 9mm Luger.

Some 9mm loads actually have less recoil
    https://www.hornadyle.com/handgun-am...gr-ftx-lite#!/

Don't be tricked by low bullet weights. 50 grain loads exist for the 9x19mm, but that doesn't mean that it is comparable to 25 Auto
    You know that, I know that, the people who actually buy guns and are the ones being advertised to are going to buy a marketing director a new boat.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post

I'm curious how this cartridge will perform with a carry comp on it since the pressures are what they are.
    I'm very curious about that as well. A super capacity, rds equipped carry comp would be very neat.

On the plus side, 30SC has high pressure, plus a narrower swept bore volume which will ensure a higher muzzle pressure at the comp.

On the downside, from the estimated Quickload I saw, the overall powder charge for 30 SC will be below that of 9mm +P. So there will be less gas volume to work the comp.

I'm not sure which is more important for comp efficiency.

I wish that Federal would stop the comparison to 380 Auto.

The 30 Super Carry is being introduced to the market in 9X19mm and 45 Auto sized pistols.

I doubt that many, if any, manufacturers will make smaller, 30 Super Carry specific guns when pistols like the SIG P365 are already deemed uncomfortably small by a large number of shooters.

The 30 Super Carry may prove to be a fine cartridge, but I am despising the marketing hype.
    I agree, its a completely misleading comparison, as 30 SC will be chambered in 9mm size firearms, not guns like the LCP.

What the market needed was a better .380. What they've developed is a better 9mm.

Most manufacturers will simply chamber their existing 9mm, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP sized guns in this new round since it is the simplest, and therefore, cheapest option.
    This is where I think Federal jumped the gun with .30 SC - they released it with 9mm pistols simply rechambered in 30SC, rather then cool purpose built pistols in 30SC.

To really be compelling, I think the 30SC is going to need guns designed around it, that leverage the narrower magazine and higher capacity and higher pressure for maximum advantage. Something that creates legit 'wow' factor beyond simply +2 capacity in existing 9mm firearms.

For example, a full size, 20+1, integrally compensated pistol thats as thin as the G48/P365, and lighter then a G17. That would turn heads.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    If 40 was THE cartridge for years after 86 FBI Miami incident but technology and understanding progressed why wouldn't the same 1mm jump down in bullet diameter and further progression work out the same while being a little less in recoil and adding a couple rounds capacity just like the 9 does over the 40.
    It seems to me that Federal painted themselves into a corner with this cartridge.

It's too big to be used in very small/light pocket pistols like the micro .380s and has similar recoil/blast as 9x19mm.

However, such a small cartridge that is already operating at 50,000 psi has little room for improvement.

30 Super Carry may be comparable to standard pressure 9X19mm with lightweight bullets, but the nine millimeter can be loaded to higher velocities or with significantly heavier projectiles when needed.

Unless this cartridge proves to be significantly more reliable or accurate than 9mm, then the only thing it offers is more rounds in guns that were already touted for their high ammo capacity.

User Tag List