Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal's newish .30 Super, aka a 'spicier' 7.65x20mm Longue

30 Super Carry Handloads for the Reloader-Shooting Times
    https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...ndloads/483940

"Let me repeat a caution I've made many times: Only use load data provided by a proven, reliable source."

I think the new Federal 103 grain Punch JHP would perform more consistently in proper organic 10% gelatin, however, these Clear Ballistics results are disappointing.

Once again, why doesn't Federal release their testing results first?

Instead, they let amateur YouTubers and backyard ballisticians beat them to the punch and potentially tarnish their product.

Maybe I shouldn't expect better from a marketing department that thinks vague or unrealistic slogans such as "More Changes Everything" and "No Tradeoffs" can explain purpose or utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    I think the new Federal 103 grain Punch JHP would perform more consistently in proper organic 10% gelatin, however, these Clear Ballistics results are disappointing.

Once again, why doesn't Federal release their testing results first?

Instead, they let amateur YouTubers and backyard ballisticians beat them to the punch and potentially tarnish their product.

Maybe I shouldn't expect better from a marketing department that thinks vague or unrealistic slogans such as "More Changes Everything" and "No Tradeoffs" can explain purpose or utility.
    It is frustrating isn't it?

Regrettably, it seems that the general public's bar for what they'll accept as being legitimate testing is rather low.

I'm sure that Federal/ATK ran the load in 10% ordnance gelatin as that is what most respectable domestic manufacturers do for their premium self-defense JHPs. How much time would it have taken to knock out a quick PDF with a bare gel, 4LD and auto glass test results and maybe a picture of each test round in the gelatin? They've done so in the past. Why not now?
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

.30 Super Carry performs very well in proper gel testing, even though it can't quite match 9mm hollow-point expansion.

.30 Super Carry performs very well in proper gel testing, even though it can't quite match 9mm hollow-point expansion.

So... only 1 round fired for each load, no BB calibration of the gelatin blocks before firing, and expanded bullet diameters based on only one measurement taken at the widest point? Not trying to "nit pick", but it matters.

Ian McCollum was able to run 7.65 French Long through a Hi-Point 3095 carbine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm4fcDGbbRI

Another YouTuber was able to handload coated 100 grain bullets below 900 fps and still get reliable function in a Smith & Wesson Shield Plus
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/jjNUes48YsA

The .30 Super Carry could be a versatile cartridge, but it really needs a compelling pistol designed expressly for it to maximize its potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock17JHP View Post
    So... only 1 round fired for each load, no BB calibration of the gelatin blocks before firing, and expanded bullet diameters based on only one measurement taken at the widest point? Not trying to "nit pick", but it matters.
    I understand your frustration. We may never see military and law enforcement quality testing of this cartridge since it wasn't designed for that use.

However, IMHO, the ballistics of the cartridge isn't the reason for its unpopularity.

Federal hoped .30 Super Carry would be THE choice of people who didn't want a 9mm (9x17mm or 9x19mm) for concealed carry.

In the 1980's, 7 Up wanted to be the preferred soft drink of people who didn't want Coke or Pepsi, so 7 Up described itself as the "Uncola".

Likewise, I feel that the .30 Super Carry is sorta marketed as the "Un-nine".

I think that explains a lot of the "solution looking for a problem" comments.

In other words, instead of Federal clearly explaining to everyone what the 30 Super Carry actually "is", they focused on what it "isn't".

Put it in a Sig Macro, or G19 with 20 rounds, and it will become more popular. I hope we see some of these other platforms at Shot.

In other words, instead of Federal clearly explaining to everyone what the 30 Super Carry actually "is", they focused on what it "isn't".
    What it is and isn't are pretty much the same thing.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Put it in a Sig Macro, or G19 with 20 rounds, and it will become more popular. I hope we see some of these other platforms at Shot.
    To me the .30 Super needs to be in something like a modern Colt 1903, possibly one of the Slimline 4x Glocks to be viewed in its proper envelope.

User Tag List