Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal's newish .30 Super, aka a 'spicier' 7.65x20mm Longue

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    So we're just back to 5.7x28 at that point, right?

Right that gets back to a true double-column magazine.
    Diameter wise it looks extremely close:

I imagine the Lehigh 55gr handloaded to full 50kpsi will be able to achieve similar velocities as well, although with worse BC.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/311-ca...n-bullets.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Assuming the best, that .30 SC sells reasonably well as the supply chain is improved overall.

It's only effect on me will be loud curses as .30s get in with range pickup 9mm brass, like 40 in with 9 or .45 Small in with ACP.
    .30 will be easier to sort out than .380 and 9mm Mak.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Right, I expect my sorter tray set would separate the .30s as it does .40s.
    Still an annoyance... when and if.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Right, I expect my sorter tray set would separate the .30s as it does .40s.
    Still an annoyance... when and if.
    Won’t be as bad as small primer 45.

Sidebar: what sorting tray are you using?

So true; and I am shooting a (relative) lot of .45s because I have more large primers than small.

I am just using the cheap black-blue-yellow plastic stack plus .380 plate.

Which makes me think of my amazement at the elaborate reloading setups some people have, as seen on Benos, with two progressive loaders in series and a whole supporting cast of other equipment.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    This popped up on Arfcom:

4.6" tall pistol with 15+1, now we're getting somewhere. Now if the next manufacturer can get it to 16+1 using a true dual feed mag...
    Interesting that it still is only an increase of two rounds over the 9mm with the extended magazines in each caliber.

The 4.6" height would be for a flush fit magazine.
    I wonder what the capacity of the 30 Super Carry will be in the shorter mag or if it will even be offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Interesting that it still is only an increase of two rounds over the 9mm with the extended magazines in each caliber.

I wonder what the capacity of the 30 Super Carry will be in the shorter mag or if it will even be offered.
    16 rounds in 30 super vs 14 rounds of (better performing) 9mm? That's a whopping 14% increase , I would feel so much safer.
    Come'on, a mag change only takes two seconds...

And you can get 9mm ammo in any grocery store around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post

The Shield Plus mags have a pretty pronounced step down to single stack( presumably to keep slide width down, and fit within the existing Shield mechanics) that could limit the benefit of a smaller cartridge.

The only other 2 known options are both single stacks, so less opportunity to exploit the stacking benefits of the narrow diameter.
    And on the EZ it looks like they had to cheat a bit with an extended base pad.

In a standard double stack mag you might be able to get +3 in something like a G19? But that's speculation.

The Shield EZ magazine in 30 Super Carry is apparently longer than in the 9mm model.

From post #256
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Carry!/page26

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Looks like the .30 SC models have a slightly extended base pad on the magazine compared to the 9mm. Looks like they had to cheat a little to get that 10th round in.
    Posted before I saw MandoWookie's reply
    Last edited by Velo Dog; 01-24-2022 at 12:37 PM.

The boss annoyed me in the first 10 seconds here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cZTgkrfAP8

It's not "9mm performance" (although nudging near it), and it sure as hell is not going to work in a ".380-sized gun"*! It's just a way to squeeze a few more rounds of what looks to be a reasonably effective cartridge into a 9mm-sized gun.

*Unless one considers that today's small 9mms are smaller than .380s of 25 years ago.

User Tag List