Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal's newish .30 Super, aka a 'spicier' 7.65x20mm Longue

Federal's newish .30 Super, aka a 'spicier' 7.65x20mm Longue

I have to admit that I am kinda, sorta surprised to see this...

Name:  Federal 2022 Catalog snip.jpg
Views: 2253
Size:  47.5 KB

A 0.3125''-caliber 100-grain FMJ (AE30SCA) and a 115-grain HST JHP (P30HST1S) at 1,250 fps that expands to 0.53'' and penetrates to a depth of 15.5 inches in 10% ordnance gelatin. Looks to be loaded somewhat warmer than the old 7.65x20mm Longue. Not sure what 'need' it addresses though since it essentially duplicates what we already have in many of the service calibers.

It's not exactly ''compact'' either with an OAL of 1.169'', the same as the 9mm Luger.

Name:  .30 Super cartridge drawing.jpg
Views: 1971
Size:  46.9 KB

The .30 Super 100-grain FMJ @ 1,250 fps promises to offer tremendous penetration in the 31 - 34 inch range unless it yaws and overturns.

What are the P-F collective's thoughts on this latest offering from Federal?
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Is the benefit higher magazine capacity in a narrower package?

Seems smart if they can monopolize the market for something like that.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Discussing terminal ballistics here, not the platforms that fire the cartridge.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Ballistically it is not going to offer anything new or of significant difference. It will work a comp or ported barrel likely better and it may have minuscule better ballistic co efficiency with a longish bullet and smaller frontal area. Otherwise anything it does ballistically is already available.

However you can't discuss a cartridge without discussing the launching platform it is fired from and in this case that makes or breaks this cartridge when capacity/size efficiency is considered with performance.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Ballistically it is not going to offer anything new or of significant difference. It will work a comp or ported barrel likely better and it may have minuscule better ballistic co efficiency with a longish bullet and smaller frontal area. Otherwise anything it does ballistically is already available.

However you can't discuss a cartridge without discussing the launching platform it is fired from and in this case that makes or breaks this cartridge when capacity/size efficiency is considered with performance.
    What happens inside the firearm/platform is interior ballistics.

The topic of this thread is terminal ballistics of the .30 Super Carry; that is, what happens at the ''receiving end'' of things.

There is a difference.

Based upon my experience shooting hot loaded .32H&R Mags and .32-20s a flat-nosed FMJ with meplat greater than half of bullet diameter will not "flip" but should produce straight-through penetration if adequately stable. A twist of rifling of 20 inches per turn, as used in the .30 US Carbine and .32-20 rifles will be fine with 100-115 grain bullets at this velocity level.

Might be interesting to see how this cartridge would perform with 85-grain XTPs at about 1300-1350 fps, approximating .30 Mauser.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-05-2022 at 05:11 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    What are the P-F collective's thoughts on this latest offering from Federal?
    As discussed in the other thread, ballistically it's pretty much .32 H&R, so there isn't very much new to say about what happens once the bullet passes the crown. They're loading it with Gold Dots, including one that has been out of production for years. But not quite - they made it .313 instead of .312, so they can fail harder.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Based upon my experience shooting hot loaded .32H&R Mags and .32-20s a flat-nosed FMJ with meplat greater than half of bullet diameter will not "flip" but should produce straight-through penetration if adequately stable. A twist of rifling on 20 inches per turn, as used in the .30 US Carbine and .32-20 rifles will be fine with 100-115 grain bullets at this velocity level.
    Always happy to defer to your greater knowledge on the matter!

I'd also wondered if something like this would have its center of pressure located aft of its center of gravity so that it would go ''straight line''.

Certainly, the shape of the projectile nose (meplat) may also act to reduce instability, particularly at higher impact velocities, where the projectile-target material interaction is mainly along the projectile nose.

Site Supporter
    Have they published any data on performance through barriers? I wonder if the sectional density can make up for the light weight when going through things like laminated glass and sheet metal.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 01-05-2022 at 06:30 PM.

User Tag List