Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal's newish .30 Super, aka a 'spicier' 7.65x20mm Longue

Some commenters have wondered if the .30 Super Carry might be popular in countries that ban civilian ownership of pistols chambered in 9mm Parabellum and other military calibers.

Well, Brazil recently banned 9x19mm and apparently all handgun cartridges that produce over 300 ft-lbs of energy in standard loadings.

That would seem to disqualify .30 Super Carry.

It is perfectly understandable that a government that is scared of its populace wouldn't want them to have "the most revolutionary self-defense advancement in nearly 100 years."

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    True, but for me, .380 feels snappier than 9mm. I imagine that's blowback vs. locked breech operation.
    If you get a chance, try a 365 in .380 and see what you think of it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If you get a chance, try a 365 in .380 and see what you think of it.
    Ditto for a G42 or a S&W EZ- a locked breech 380 is extremely soft. Feels like a 9mm squib haha. Blowback, not so much.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center

This YouTuber was able to get 1311 fps from a 3.1" Shield Plus with a handload of Hodgdon Longshot and a Hornady 100 gr. XTP bullet for 382 ft-lbs of energy

The .30 Super Carry isn't a bad cartridge, but neither is 9mm...and that's its real competition.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    The important thing for felt recoil is recoil velocity... not recoil energy

By this standard, normal 9x19 has about 50% more recoil than 380 in a gun of the same weight

This is a good calculator:

https://robrobinette.com/Gun_Recoil_Calculator.html
    I'm glad that you mentioned this, TF. I also see free recoil velocity—even if it is ''computed''—as a more useful metric.

I use the SAAMI equation for free recoil velocity (we all know that velocity is energy, right?) as a threshold indicator of potential (dis)comfort when considering a potential firearm for use.

As a general rule (YMMV, vary of course), that threshold starts at 15 fps of free recoil velocity.

So, while a Glock 17 firing a 115-grain cartridge at 1,155 fps has recoil velocity of 13.2 fps, a Glock 43 firing the 115-grain load at 1,075 fps, recoil velocity sits at 16.3 fps which is only a little less pleasant than the former. Likewise, a full power .44 Magnum 240-grain bullet fired from my 7.5-inch Ruger SBH at 1,380 fps imparts a rather unpleasant free recoil velocity of 19.8 fps, which is the upper limit of my tolerance for lengthy range sessions. A .454 Casull 300-grain bullet fired at 1,665 fps from my Freedom Arms Model 83 with a 7.5-inch barrel produces a free recoil velocity of 23.3 fps is just plain old painful to fire these days; testament to my younger days where I tended to ignore pain more successfully than I do now.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 09-01-2023 at 05:52 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    I'm glad that you mentioned this, TF. I also see free recoil velocity—even if it is ''computed''—as a more useful metric.

I use the SAAMI equation for free recoil velocity (we all know that velocity is energy, right?) as a threshold indicator of potential (dis)comfort when considering a potential firearm for use.

As a general rule (YMMV, vary of course), that threshold starts at 15 fps of free recoil velocity.

So, while a Glock 17 firing a 115-grain cartridge at 1,155 fps has recoil velocity of 13.2 fps, a Glock 43 firing the 115-grain load at 1,075 fps, recoil velocity sits at 16.3 fps which is only a little less pleasant than the former. Likewise, a full power .44 Magnum 240-grain bullet fired from my 7.5-inch Ruger SBH at 1,380 fps imparts a rather unpleasant free recoil velocity of 19.8 fps, which is the upper limit of my tolerance for lengthy range sessions. A .454 Casull 300-grain bullet fired at 1,665 fps from my Freedom Arms Model 83 with a 7.5-inch barrel produces a free recoil velocity of 23.3 fps is just plain old painful to fire these days; testament to my younger days where I tended to ignore pain more successfully than I do now.
    DITTO on the 454 Casull!
    AND in a revolver the recoil is instantly felt, unlike the "cushioned" recoil of a semiauto, and the high bore line makes it torque up the wrist like crazy.

Edit: what a beautiful revolver the Casull is, really a well made, accurate, quality piece.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 09-02-2023 at 03:40 PM.

Here is the thing, you can’t beat a micro compact with 14 to 17 rounds, that penetrates to 16” and is more controllable. How many have actually shot it vs talking about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    I had a shield and loved the round in that gun. I rented one initially, and loved it.
    Polecat, I'm curious as to why you no longer own the 30 Super Carry Shield Plus since you like the cartridge and the Smith & Wesson's capacity.

In your opinion, which SIG P365 would be the best match for the 30 Super Carry cartridge?

Also, which hollow point did you prefer? Was there a perceptible difference in recoil between 100 and 115 grain loadings?

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    DITTO on the 454 Casull!
    AND in a revolver the recoil is instantly felt, unlike the "cushioned" recoil of a semiauto, and the high bore line makes it torque up the wrist like crazy.

Edit: what a beautiful revolver the Casull is, really a well made, accurate, quality piece.
    Yep, it's definitely one of the nicer handguns that I own, but, oh boy, does it ''back up'' with unparalleled vigor! While I like it a lot, I fire it rarely these days. Once he comes of age, it goes to my son so he can enjoy it.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Polecat, I'm curious as to why you no longer own the 30 Super Carry Shield Plus since you like the cartridge and the Smith & Wesson's capacity.

In your opinion, which SIG P365 would be the best match for the 30 Super Carry cartridge?

Also, which hollow point did you prefer? Was there a perceptible difference in recoil between 100 and 115 grain loadings?

Velo, it’s funny you mention that. I am SO fickle it boggles the mind. Got it just to try, was hopeful other platform would come out. Currently digging my FN reflex. May pick up another. I was a huge naysayer when I first heard about the round, when I shot it the light went on. Yeah it has a way to go by no imagination.

User Tag List