Thread: Incipient stock crack

Incipient stock crack

I found a set of Fuzzy Farrant grips for a S&W Model 10 at an only slightly cutthroat price. Don't ask.

The hype is real here, why someone doesn't make these out of G10 is beyond me.

Anyway, there is a very faint hairline crack trying to develop on the left stock.Name:  IMG_1175.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  33.2 KB
    The picture didn't quite capture it, it is very faint, just follow the grain of the wood to get the idea.

How can I best reinforce/repair this to prevent any worsening of the flaw? This is strictly a .38 wadcutter launcher, so recoil loads will at least be low...
    My apologies to weasels.

I know that CA / Super Glue has been used for years to repair and stabilize wood but I can't speak to the best techniques...so will leave it to those with experience doing so. (Used by many custom knife makers as well, for handle material.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Please pull the stocks off and give us a pic of the inside of that panel. I can't honestly see the crack, but if its really a shrinkage crack it may be all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Please pull the stocks off and give us a pic of the inside of that panel. I can't honestly see the crack, but if its really a shrinkage crack it may be all the way through.
    I was going to say similarly, but just assumed, (yes, I know), that he'd have examined the inside. But it would be useful to see.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I can't see a crack on the picture.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I know that CA / Super Glue has been used for years to repair and stabilize wood but I can't speak to the best techniques...so will leave it to those with experience doing so. (Used by many custom knife makers as well, for handle material.)
    Loctite 420, a thin CA glue designed for wicking, is what I’ve seen bowyers using and recommending to repair cracks like that in laminated wood risers and minor delaminations on bows. They generally use a small syringe to apply the glue to the crack and then clamp everything down for a day or so.

Like blues I haven’t done it myself, but I have seent pictures on the internets of fixed bows so that’s probably how I would try to fix that.

Yeah, the crack doesn't show up well in the photo. I'll try again tomorrow. There were no signs of cracking on the inside of the grips BTW.
    My apologies to weasels.

If I was asked to patch a small crack like that, in something like a guitar headstock or body, I'd do what Caballoflaco said. Let some thin superglue wick into the crack, let sit, then polish out the resulting blemish.

You'll want to put some masking tape around the crack to try to protect the surrounding finish.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Thanks guys, I've got some Loctite 420 coming tomorrow. Pricey ($28)for 1 ounce but it looks like the right solution.
    My apologies to weasels.

User Tag List