Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which pistol do I MOD and which do I sell to pay for said MOD ??

Which pistol do I MOD and which do I sell to pay for said MOD ??

Needing some advice.....I have two pistols. One is a 9mm Taurus PT-911 Blue that I bought in 2000. It has maybe 250 rounds through it and is a great mid-frame 9mm that shoots very well. I have had zero issues at all. My other pistol is a Beretta PX-4 Storm 40 full size. It shoots like a dream as well with zero issues at all. Both have low round count through them.... I've put hundreds more rounds through my Ruger LCP because that's my EDC. I want to hot rod one of these pistols a little: Red Dot, Trigger, Grip and a new holster. Here is where I need some advice. I have searched the internet for upgrades for my PT-911 and there is not much of anything out there, especially any type of red dot, holsters or even magazines. This thing is like a ghost gun on the internet and I don't know why. I'm having somewhat of the same issue with the PX4 Storm, there are no red dots out there unless you get the slide milled which costs about as much as the gun or a laser which I do not want to do. OR...should I sell both and get a G-19 or Sig p320 or p226? It seems that these weapons have MOD's on every web site on the internet.

I don't think you will find a lot of people who would recommend dumping a bunch of money into upgrading an out of production gun from a budget brand like Taurus. Spare parts may present a challenge and holster support will probably be limited to Uncle Mike's nylon that fit a generic size class or similar.

PX4 is still in production and has the benefit of potential slide milling through LTT if you're willing to pay for it. Holsters are available from JM Custom Kydex. You'll have to decide how committed you are to the PX4 and the .40 chambering before you invest in the gear and optics cut.

If you want something cost effective and easy to support, G19 is a great idea.

Since you mentioned that you carry an LCP, another idea would be to get into something optics ready and small like a 43X MOS or P365X. That way you're more likely to carry what you're investing a lot of money into.
    Last edited by FreedomFries; 01-04-2022 at 11:32 PM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Pretty sure the consensus here will be “sell both and buy a Glock”. It’s an optic-ready platform right out the gate, whether you go with the MOS or purchase a Brownells (or more expensive) slide.

The Easy Button solution is:
    1) Sell the Taurus. You won't get much for it, but it should help going towards...
    2) Send the PX4 to Langdon for a RDO cut
    3) Get some sort of good optic to put on it. Holosun seem to be the consensus budget option.

Or just do what Darth Uno said.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I'll join the greek chorus.

Sell the Taurus. Immediately. The best time to sell it would have been in the summer of 2020. The gun world isn't as insane right now as it was then, but used guns (even Tauri) still have more of a premium than they did in 2019. Pre-pandemic, some LGS wouldn't take a Taurus on trade. Some of them may have relaxed their standards. Dunno. But that gun is never going to be worth more than it is now.

The PX4 in .40 is a viable, but perhaps not optimal platform for optics. I'd encourage you to think about selling that and setting yourself up with a 9mm gun from Glock, Smith, or SIG.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Don’t feel insulted if a gunstore only offers 150-200 bucks for the Taurus on trade in. They have to make money on resale and a quick search shows them selling for only 250-300 bucks.

Sell both. Go buy a Sig P365x and a Holosun 507K.

Remove the sight plate on the Sig when you get home, install the Holosun with the screws provided in the box. For holster, go to darkstargear.com, or jmcustomkydex.com and order a suitable holster. Bam. Done. You'll have a compact, reliable, thin, light, optic-equipped, reconfigurable grip frame, flat trigger, 12+1 out of the box carry gun that shoots softly and accurately.

Do some dry practice work developing your index. Experiment with the circle, circle+dot, or dot configurations of the 507k while you learn to shoot the dot.

That's my advice after spending 000's of $ over the last six years owning 15 different firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

That's my advice after spending 000's of $ over the last six years owning 15 different firearms.
    Uh-oh. This is just the sort of slip of the tongue that caused the 100 Years War. Somebody's wife will see this and ask, "how many guns do you have, honey," and the jig will be up. It will spread like wildfire. Proper terminology is key. No numbers. Words like "a few" or "a couple" or even "several" are usually adequate. For added emphasis, you might say "...over the last six years owning more than a few firearms." Everyone gets to live (or at least stay married).

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Uh-oh. This is just the sort of slip of the tongue that caused the 100 Years War. Somebody's wife will see this and ask, "how many guns do you have, honey," and the jig will be up. It will spread like wildfire. Proper terminology is key. No numbers. Words like "a few" or "a couple" or even "several" are usually adequate. For added emphasis, you might say "...over the last six years owning more than a few firearms." Everyone gets to live (or at least stay married).
    Well to be accurate I only have four of them left.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Well to be accurate I only have four of them left.
    That's what they all say! 😁

User Tag List