Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: More New From S&W, the .30 Super Carry!

Nighthawk custom just announced .30 super carry guns.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Ban state compliance, classic looks, and it's not another friggin' AR.
    All of which are accomplished by a .300 BO Mini-14 or 7.62x39 Mini-30 Ranch.... but who are we, really, to start using reason in such matters?
    That's why I wrote, "an equivalent thingy" instead of "an AR."

If Ruger would make a non-takedown PCC so I could be confident it wouldn't unscrew at a particularly bad time, and maybe take a pound or two out of it, I'd be all over one. But with Glock standard- and high-cap mags as an option, it kinda undermines the benefits of the snowflake cartridge under discussion.

Something PCC-like with a locked breech in .300 BLK taking AR mags would be stellar.

A mini BAR MKIII DBM in .300 BLK taking AR mags would also be on the buy list. As would a lever action version.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    What would that accomplish that wouldn't be thoroughly outclassed by an equivalent thingy in .300 BO taking 10- or however-many-you-want-round AR mags that are readily available for $8.50 or so for the industry standard of quality?
    Well, speaking just for myself, I have to admit that I am just not really a big AR fan. I have them, but they aren't the guns I generally like just playing around with in the pasture or taking to walk my aunt's place to check it over. I am thinking of this round more for sporting / hunting / field use, not primarily as a defensive round. I like combo handgun / carbine combos that can share the same ammo (I cast and reload), and this round in a carbine would probably be pretty close to the old .32-20 rifle only loads. 32-20 doesn't get much respect now, but a LOT of people used it for many years for all sorts of duties. I like the idea of a matching this thing up in a nice-ish (but not Nighthawk) full sized auto and neat little light handy bolt action or slim little Ruger 10/22 / PCC style carbine for woods walking, small to medium game hunting, varmint control, etc. Based on what people have done with heavy .32 mag and .327 loadings this little round would probably have a lot of straight line penetration with a 115-125 hard cast flat point bullet.

I have a model 31 (S&W 32 long) that I play around with. I like 32's. I'm still waiting for a decent 30 or32 carbine of some sort. I'm not going to buy a 100 year old lever gun and fight the cases reloading for it, but I would still like to have a PCC in 32. I have a 43 Inland but it's old and not exactly a pistol cartridge.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Maybe someone could reissue the SACM 1935a in this calibre? Or even sell SACM 1935a's with a conversion barrel and other needed bits

I suspect Gun Jesus would approve.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If Ruger would make a non-takedown PCC so I could be confident it wouldn't unscrew at a particularly bad time, and maybe take a pound or two out of it, I'd be all over one. But with Glock standard- and high-cap mags as an option, it kinda undermines the benefits of the snowflake cartridge under discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    I like the idea of a matching this thing up in a nice-ish (but not Nighthawk) full sized auto and neat little light handy bolt action or slim little Ruger 10/22 / PCC style carbine for woods walking, small to medium game hunting, varmint control, etc. Based on what people have done with heavy .32 mag and .327 loadings this little round would probably have a lot of straight line penetration with a 115-125 hard cast flat point bullet.
    A 90gr XTP loaded +P in 9mm should get up into the 1300 fps-ish range out of a full-size pistol. Make it long barrel like a 1911 full size, G34, G17L, or USP Tactical, and you'll definitely see that. Not sure how much a 16-inch barrel would add, but probably some. Explosive on varmints. Or hardcast with a flatnose for more penetration.

This round is only made to be 9mm equivalent. You won't see the performance people get out of .327 Fed because that's nearly the same pressure with a significantly larger case. Like how .357 Magnum is the same pressure as 9mm, but outperforms it due to the larger case.

I like your idea as a revo/lever combo. Already have it with GP100/1894, but I could see a six-shot SP101 and a little Henry or something being neat in .327.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    A 90gr XTP loaded +P in 9mm should get up into the 1300 fps-ish range out of a full-size pistol. Make it long barrel like a 1911 full size, G34, G17L, or USP Tactical, and you'll definitely see that. Not sure how much a 16-inch barrel would add, but probably some. Explosive on varmints. Or hardcast with a flatnose for more penetration.

This round is only made to be 9mm equivalent. You won't see the performance people get out of .327 Fed because that's nearly the same pressure with a significantly larger case. Like how .357 Magnum is the same pressure as 9mm, but outperforms it due to the larger case.

I like your idea as a revo/lever combo. Already have it with GP100/1894, but I could see a six-shot SP101 and a little Henry or something being neat in .327.
    Oh yeah, sorry I wasn’t more clear. I don’t really want .327 mag performance. As you say we can do that now with available options (mostly Ruger and Henry) . Problem is that is pretty noisy. I like the idea of reloadable Centerfire option lower than that that will work in a semi auto. I was thinking more like .32-20 / .32 mag levels.

Seems to me they might have brought this out at a lower default pressure to make it more short barrel / small gun friendly for recoil / blast adverse users and also market a +P hot load for those that want more power and don’t care about the blasr.

Yeah the .327 is decepitive, you think “ only a .32,” then you touch the thing off! It will be interesting how this pans out. If it shoots mild it might do ok, if it is obnoxious I doubt it. Surely, they did their homework.

Dave

Site Supporter
    I was surprised by the recoil, the first time I fired one off in my 632.

What would that accomplish that wouldn't be thoroughly outclassed by an equivalent thingy in .300 BO taking 10- or however-many-you-want-round AR mags that are readily available for $8.50 or so for the industry standard of quality?
    Like others have said, a more compact and handy gun. When it comes to .300 BLK, also lighter ammo. If I have to have an AR size package, .300 just doesn't appeal to me.
    And as for the Mini-30? Mag issues and ammo sensitivity have always kept me away, as well as the cost.

I like the form factor of the Ruger PC carbine, though it is kinda heavy, but if they came out with a model without the takedown feature, which I dont trust, and a 1 piece stock, they could probably shave off at least another pound.
    In either 9mm or this new cartridge, it also has the appeal of being a retro-modern M1 carbine.

User Tag List