Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: More New From S&W, the .30 Super Carry!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    That's what a Rattler is...
    You have a much more generous definition of "concealable" than I do. The only way I can conceal my Rattler is in a backpack, and if we're using "can put it in a bag" as a definition for concealable, that seems too broad for me.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Ballistically, it's a .32 H&R, maybe slightly more, in a rimless cartridge the length of a 9mm, for use in semi-autos. It will likely be blastier, but probably not as bad as .327 Federal. Although the peak pressure will be similar, it won't have the volume of gas that the .327 has, so pressure may be less when it uncorks.

As I pointed out in the other thread, .32 H&R has been around long enough there isn't that much new to say about this as a defensive round. It will be really similar after the bullet clears the crown.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I know that I am not right for this, but I find myself wishing Springfield Armory would make me an alloy frame Hi Power in this, with a Bomar or even S&w k-frame adjustable rear sight. Or maybe a CZ 75…. Could be fun to play with.

I have to admit, I've been thinking that a modernized 7.65 Longue with good modern bullets would make a hell of a subcompact carry pistol (read: Shield Plus/P365/Hellcat) cartridge, giving you more capacity without sacrificing penetration. I've talked about it here, as I recall. And now someone's actually making it.

I hope they sell a bajillion of them, because I want this to succeed, but it's got one hell of a hard road to travel to unseat 9mm as the defacto defensive cartridge. Putting it into the Shield Plus and EZ is a good move on Smith's part, setting it up as a purely subcompact cartridge.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

I'm way out of my lane here, but isn't 115 gr on the light side for self-defense? It seems to me that most people who run 9mm use 124 or 147 gr JHPs for a reason as opposed to the 115 JHPs. I don't recall reading much of any LE organizations using 115 JHPs these days.

IIRC, the large appeal for the .356 TSW, for self-defense, was being able to push a 147 gr JHP above 1100 fps.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I'm way out of my lane here, but isn't 115 gr on the light side for self-defense? It seems to me that most people who run 9mm use 124 or 147 gr JHPs for a reason as opposed to the 115 JHPs. I don't recall reading much of any LE organizations using 115 JHPs these days.
    Cross-sectional density goes up as diameter drops for a given weight. I haven’t done the math but a 115 .30 caliber projectile is probably going to penetrate at least as well all Other things being equal as the average 124 9 mm projectile, if not better.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post

IIRC, the large appeal for the .356 TSW, for self-defense, was being able to push a 147 gr JHP above 1100 fps.
    Part of it's related to bullet diameter. You'd never run a 147gr pill as a serious defensive load in .45 caliber, for instance, it wouldn't have the sectional density to penetrate well. If their testing is to be believed, 115gr .313 pills punch deep enough to be smack in the middle of FBI spec, so...

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    Cross-sectional density goes up as diameter drops for a given weight. I haven’t done the math but a 115 .30 caliber projectile is probably going to penetrate at least as well all Other things being equal as the average 124 9 mm projectile, if not better.
    The sectional density of the .30 Super 115-grain JHP (0.169) exceeds that of 9mm 147-grain JHPs and .45 ACP 230-grain JHPs.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

https://www.vcalc.com/wiki/MichaelBa...tional+Density

Sectional densitys

9mm

115gr: 0.130
    124gr: 0.141
    135gr: 0.153
    147gr: 0.167

30 Super / .312

85gr: 0.125
    100gr: 0.147
    115gr: 0.169

Conceptually, the .30 Super is very similar to the 7.92 VBR developed in Belgium as an alternative Pistol/PDW cartridge.

As I recall, the narrower case turned the 19rd 9x19 mag into a 21rd magazine.

https://military-history.fandom.com/wiki/7.92%C3%9724mm

There were a variety of ball, defense, and AP projectiles developed:

The most interesting one was the CF2 'controlled fracturing' projectile designed to break into 2x pieces after penetrating several inches:

User Tag List