Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: More New From S&W, the .30 Super Carry!

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Am I the only one who immediately starts wondering what this means for the future of Contenders?
    No, there are two of us.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Here is what I’m thinking about this round. I doubt it will ever make sense for me because I have such a huge investments in other platforms, but if it lives up to it’s potential, it might make sense for someone who is starting from scratch to buy in to .30 Super Carry vs. 9mm.
    For someone that's thinking ahead and reloads, any new cartridge requires that you be able to produce enough ammo to train on a regular basis. At least that's how I roll with SD pistols. I have a bunch of odd stuff that I don't worry about but 9mm and 45 gets a good supply of components. Several years worth.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    For someone that's thinking ahead and reloads, any new cartridge requires that you be able to produce enough ammo to train on a regular basis. At least that's how I roll with SD pistols. I have a bunch of odd stuff that I don't worry about but 9mm and 45 gets a good supply of components. Several years worth.
    The super limited selection of .312 projectiles is what kept me from getting into .327, so I could see that being an issue for .30 SC as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    .32ACP is semi-rimmed and headspaces off of the rim, not the case mouth. Your rimless cartridge will likely drop right down into the chamber. Also because the new case itself will have a narrower rim and base it will not taper as dramatically as the .32ACP does, that will allow it to drop further into a .32 ACP chamber than raw dimensions suggest.

I'm sure you could make it work. But is it worth the effort to develop?
    I’d say something that fits into an LCP and can both expand and consistently make it 12” or more, while also adding capacity, would absolutely be worth it. It essentially solves the current issues with .380, and would make for a much more effective pocket pistol, which is still the go to CCW for many people.

.300 Blk can be chambered in 5.56, abd is much more likely than having someone load ‘30 pocket’ into a .32, simply because so few .32s are being sold these days. There’s basically the P32, Beretta Tomcat, and Seacamp. I’d say the risk of .30 pocket ending up in .32s is much lower then .300 ending up in 5.56s

I just figured out what has been bugging me about the name of this cartridge, and it is that it sounds like .45 Super — neither this new cartridge nor pistol are remotely similar to the USP FS and .45 Super.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Earlier today I had typed out- and then deleted- a long screed expressing my dismay at what I quite frankly see as “spray and pray” as an integral part of the marketing message here.

Am I really that out of touch with things, to think that only hits count, and well placed ones tend to solve problems better, or will two more rounds of a smaller pill in a 15-17+ round mag really be “all the difference in self-defense scenarios” as expressed in the marketing message I have seen here?

Whatever happened to hitting your target, and being responsible for everything going downrange?
    I've always been curious about this spray and pray. Do people actually remember that they have X amount in the middle of a "gun fight" and figure meh I can just pop off the next 6 or so into the air and then I'll really start to aim! And if less rounds mean better aiming shouldn't we all be carrying one round? With one you can't miss!

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Perhaps I didn’t clearly state my point. My point is, how many civilian CCW gunfights were decided by the existence of the 18th round?
    Well, about 15 years ago we had one college student emptied 5 rounds from a J frame into a one guy, in a group of guys, who had surrounded him and his girlfriend. One guy got hit 5 times and was still standing and his buddies were still there and the college kid with the gun was now empty. Luckily after a few seconds of standoff the other guys decided to rush their friend to the hospital. Is this normal for self defense situations? No, probably not. In fact I would say it's extremely rare but happens.

The question is how much is enough? 5? 7? 10? 15? Do you live in the country with more cows than people? Suburbs? City? Where do you normally spend your time?

I live in suburbia. You're more likely here to get run over by a soccer mom driving a Tesla or a G55 AMG than you are getting mugged, assaulted, or just running into unsavory characters. Still I carry 15+ and always have. The other guns don't make sense to me on a avg casual day. Not talking about where there's a specific dress code or other special circumstances where a gun has to be chosen based on location or dress.
    Pocket guns are extremely uncomfortable and have no grip to speak of. Getting a good grip, pulling it out of pocket and presenting with any kind of speed is laughable. Not to mention they feel like carrying around a literal red brick in the pocket. A full size single stack? What the point?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    A full size single stack? What the point?
    Having a gun with a full size grip that I shoot very well that's also very thin and concealable compared to a double stack.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    The question is how much is enough? 5? 7? 10? 15? Do you live in the country with more cows than people? Suburbs? City? Where do you normally spend your time?

I live in suburbia. You're more likely here to get run over by a soccer mom driving a Tesla or a G55 AMG than you are getting mugged, assaulted, or just running into unsavory characters. Still I carry 15+ and always have. The other guns don't make sense to me on a avg casual day. Not talking about where there's a specific dress code or other special circumstances where a gun has to be chosen based on location or dress.

Pocket guns are extremely uncomfortable and have no grip to speak of. Getting a good grip, pulling it out of pocket and presenting with any kind of speed is laughable. Not to mention they feel like carrying around a literal red brick in the pocket. A full size single stack? What the point?
    I live in a high-cap ban state. The difference between a double-stack 9mm/.40 and a single-stack .45 is two rounds. Since all but the subcompact 9mms tend to have more than ten rounds in non-ban magazines, the .30 SC gets one nothing.

So we're going to have a new round that will be hard AF to find, even if you do find it, it will cost significantly more than 9mm and it's going to have a deafening muzzle blast. For that, if you're in a non-ban state, you might squeeze in a round or two more.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    I agree. Something like '.30 Pocket' designed for the LCP / LCP max / other modern locked breach ... pocket pistols.

'.30 Pocket' = 85gr @ 1000fps from a 2.75"; 7.65x19, .380 OAL cartridge, ~30kpsi. Uses a controlled expansion projectile like the XTP to limit expansion to ~0.45" so that it will consistently reach 12" in gel...
    You can already do that with 3 grains of AutoComp and .309" diameter Hornady 90-grain XTP at 0.955" OAL in Starline .32 ACP brass with Federal 200 primer. Just don't try it in a KelTec or Beretta Tomcat! Works fine in the Beretta M1935 if you heavy-up the recoil spring with the 18-pound Wolffe intended for the M1934 in .380 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    I’d say something that fits into an LCP and can both expand and consistently make it 12” or more, while also adding capacity, would absolutely be worth it. It essentially solves the current issues with .380, and would make for a much more effective pocket pistol, which is still the go to CCW for many people.
    Name:  C70EB258-F46A-4E5E-A267-E8FF9D91CCE7.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  13.8 KB

80-grains, 1000fps, penetrates ~13" of gel, expands. I have six of them loaded into that standard length LCP mag. Max pressure is 23k, bottleneck cartridge helps with feeding.

.32 North American Arms - Ask your makers to bring you guns in this caliber...

User Tag List