Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why?

Why?

Why do trash can wheels have treads? They aren't powered or braked and the lugs make a lot more noise than ribbed or slick wheels would...

I love this forum.

Site Supporter
    Lugged wheels use $.002 less plastic than a non lugged wheel of equal diameter?

Probably cast from the same molds as other small wheels- such as on lawn mowers, et al.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

To prevent hydroplaning!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

So you can hear when some jerk tries to abscond with your trash can? They certainly are loud as all get-out on pavement.

I want to say they may handle better on wet grass inclines with the anti-theft wheels, but I'm probably full of it.

Hmmmm……on a soft or slippery surface (wet grass?) smooth wheels might slide instead of rotating?

The material itself(polyethylene) is slippery, so unlike a tire, a tread provides more friction at the contact patch? If the wheels skid instead of rolling they’ll abrade through, so rolling is preferred to sliding?

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Why do trash can wheels have treads? They aren't powered or braked and the lugs make a lot more noise than ribbed or slick wheels would...
    Obviously so people can do this:

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

They do work better on gravel and snow to turn the wheels rather than just slide.

The lugs also help prevent the can from sliding sideways on icy driveways too.

That’s all I’ve got.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    They do work better on gravel and snow to turn the wheels rather than just slide.

The lugs also help prevent the can from sliding sideways on icy driveways too.

That’s all I’ve got.
    I had to push my cans through the snow for pick up tomorrow morning. I didn't fall into them though.

User Tag List