Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Beretta Px4 - What's in the box now, and Improved Factory Trigger?

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Let us know how you like your .40 Glock. I don't have a .40 caliber in the mix, but would like one just in case the ammo situation goes wonky again.
    Will do! And I'll bring the PX4 to give a subjective side-by-side as to the recoil impulse with my Glock 17 and M&P40 as control groups, Make it all real scientific.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Springs and things

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Tracker, you're a great example of why I love P-F. I've had a PX4 .40 Fullsize, my first gun, for 14 years. I've shot between 15 and 20K through it (stopped keeping track at 15 but it doesn't "feel" like I've shot 5K more since then). I own a Cougar 8000 and Cougar 8040. I'm probably in the 99th percentile of PX4 shooters for rounds, knowledge of the platform, time used, etc. But compared to you I'm a complete newbie, I've learned as much or more from your posts as I have shooting the dang gun for almost a decade and a half. Always really appreciate a true subject matter expert.

Regarding the D Spring, it's funny, I know it's fully reliable and helpful with the trigger pull, but after 15-20K my PX4 has a great trigger and after so much flawless performance I'm almost superstitious about messing with it.
    Thank you for your kind and supportive words!

I ran my PX4 Storm 45 with the stock hammer spring for nearly 11,000 rounds. The action did lighten up and it was pleasant to shoot. There is a famous saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I completely understand not wanting to change anything on your Storm. There is also a lot to the value of something that has served you well for a long time.

Question

New member, sometime lurker, brand new PX4 owner....have been reading a few of your posts and wanted to ask a question. Do you have experience with the PX4 compact? I'd read Langdon claims the recoil impulse is better with the compact, but the aesthetics/proportions of the little compact led me to buy the full-size. I assumed the recoil impulse would be less with a larger gun, but I guess not?

This is the 9mm I'm talking about FWIW.

Compact impressions

Quote Originally Posted by bigspoon View Post
    New member, sometime lurker, brand new PX4 owner....have been reading a few of your posts and wanted to ask a question. Do you have experience with the PX4 compact? I'd read Langdon claims the recoil impulse is better with the compact, but the aesthetics/proportions of the little compact led me to buy the full-size. I assumed the recoil impulse would be less with a larger gun, but I guess not?

This is the 9mm I'm talking about FWIW.
    Welcome to the Forum!

Yes, we have a PX4 Compact 9mm and have had a couple of full size PX4 9mms, my shooting partner has over 40,000 rounds on his full size 9. We have 35,350 rounds on our Compact and had one previously.

There are differences in feel between the full size and Compact. The Compact is shorter and so the center of gravity will feel farther back and some might like that, as the weight seems closer to the hand. I actually like the full size better for the slight nose heaviness (comparatively). It feels more stable and less twitchy.

Recoil impulse is definitely less with the full size. Some that are sensitive to it might feel the slide return to battery and perceive it as recoil, not cycling.

I find the sight radius a large advantage with the full size. Pin point accuracy is easy with the full size.

Grip size differs and can be different for each individual. I am used to my PX4 .45s, so even the full size is small to me.

Summary: In my opinion the Compact has less nose weight balance (which I don't prefer) and the slide going forward to battery can be perceived as recoil impulse. However, recoil is less with the action of the full size. Recovery to target can vary with your grip and the effect of slide weight going forward.

Either way, recoil impulse is so low on both that it should not affect shooting!

They both score high points on the Fun-ometer!
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 08-07-2022 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!

Yes, we have a PX4 Compact 9mm and have had a couple of full size PX4 9mms, my shooting partner has over 40,000 rounds on his full size 9. We have 35,350 rounds on our Compact and had one previously.

There are differences in feel between the full size and Compact. The Compact is shorter and so the center of gravity will feel farther back and some might like that, as the weight seems closer to the hand. I actually like the full size better for the slight nose heaviness (comparatively). It feels more stable and less twitchy.

Recoil impulse is definitely less with the full size. Some that are sensitive to it might feel the slide return to battery and perceive it as recoil, not cycling.

I find the sight radius a large advantage with the full size. Pin point accuracy is easy with the full size.

Grip size differs and can be different for each individual. I am used to my PX4 .45s, so even the full size is small to me.

Summary: In my opinion the Compact has less nose weight balance (which I don't prefer) and the slide going forward to battery can be perceived as recoil impulse. However, recoil is less with the action of the full size. Recovery to target can vary with your grip and the effect of slide weight going forward.

Either way, recoil impulse is so low on both that it should not affect shooting!

They both score high points on the Fun-ometer!
    Thank you very much for the detailed response. Good stuff.

PX4 I only knew you for a short time

Picked her up today, immediately shipped her off to LTT for an optic cut and trigger job. I'm ready to pick up a second - gotta have a backup, right?

Felt very nice in my hand, can't wait to shoot her in a few weeks when she comes back

Stunt double

Quote Originally Posted by bigspoon View Post
    ... gotta have a backup, right?...
    It is always good to have a stunt double. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-usage/page28 post 272.

If you train hard at the range and put a lot of rounds on your pistol eventually something might break or you might run into some ammunition that doesn't function very well. Just like famous movie stars... they have a stunt double to take the bruises and the beating so that they look good.

I have had my EDC PX4 Storm 45 for over 8 years. It has only accumulated 3,000 rounds on it and functions like a brand new pistol. I have range pistols to be the stunt doubles for training. They are set up the same way and one of them has 143,100 on it and the other has 50,940 rounds on it. Protecting the pistol that you will carry or use for defensive purposes is a good idea.

There is a saying in the gun world, "Three is two, two is one and one is none."

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    It is always good to have a stunt double. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....n-usage/page28 post 272.

If you train hard at the range and put a lot of rounds on your pistol eventually something might break or you might run into some ammunition that doesn't function very well. Just like famous movie stars... they have a stunt double to take the bruises and the beating so that they look good.

I have had my EDC PX4 Storm 45 for over 8 years. It has only accumulated 3,000 rounds on it and functions like a brand new pistol. I have range pistols to be the stunt doubles for training. They are set up the same way and one of them has 143,100 on it and the other has 50,940 rounds on it. Protecting the pistol that you will carry or use for defensive purposes is a good idea.

There is a saying in the gun world, "Three is two, two is one and one is none."
    I have duplicates for my pistols for the same reason...I just wanted to see it and feel it first before I make the move to grab another. Crazy part is you can grab a full size 9mm for 530 shipped - with the $75 rebate Beretta is offering, getting them at 455 net is a helluva deal. It's a better looking pistol in person.

User Tag List