Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beretta Px4 - What's in the box now, and Improved Factory Trigger?

Seeing a few posts on hammer spring weights.... Is anyone else running an LTT 10# hammer spring besides me?

182 rounds downrange

I went to the range with my Beretta PX4 Storm compact. The only modification is a PX4 specific D-spring replacing the OEM hammer spring. Long story short, 100% functioning in every aspect.

I fired 100 rounds of HST 147 grain JHP, 50 rounds Winchester NATO 124 grain FMJ and 32 rounds of Blazer 147 grain FMJ flat point. All fed, fired and ejected without a hitch. I gotta say that my Beretta PX4 and M9 commercial ejects spent rounds in a neat pile. That really helps when picking up the cases. The primer indentions were strong which was reassuring with the lighter spring.

The D-spring really lessens the DA trigger pull. Quite noticeable. And the pull was consistent with no stacking at the end. It was a true joy that DA pull. The SA disappointed me a bit. I was expecting a smooth and crisp let-off. There was some creep just before the hammer fell. Occasionally the creep was such where I could feel the creep in the trigger and actually I could pull the hammer back and hear the SA sear re-engage the hammer. Reminds me of my Ruger P-90 which experiences the same phenomena. I hope the SA will wear-in and clean up its act.

Overall a good outing and looking forward to the next one!

Creepy feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I went to the range with my Beretta PX4 Storm compact. The only modification is a PX4 specific D-spring replacing the OEM hammer spring. Long story short, 100% functioning in every aspect.

I fired 100 rounds of HST 147 grain JHP, 50 rounds Winchester NATO 124 grain FMJ and 32 rounds of Blazer 147 grain FMJ flat point. All fed, fired and ejected without a hitch. I gotta say that my Beretta PX4 and M9 commercial ejects spent rounds in a neat pile. That really helps when picking up the cases. The primer indentions were strong which was reassuring with the lighter spring.

The D-spring really lessens the DA trigger pull. Quite noticeable. And the pull was consistent with no stacking at the end. It was a true joy that DA pull. The SA disappointed me a bit. I was expecting a smooth and crisp let-off. There was some creep just before the hammer fell. Occasionally the creep was such where I could feel the creep in the trigger and actually I could pull the hammer back and hear the SA sear re-engage the hammer. Reminds me of my Ruger P-90 which experiences the same phenomena. I hope the SA will wear-in and clean up its act.

Overall a good outing and looking forward to the next one!
    There should not be any creepiness in single action if all is working properly inside. You might try cocking the hammer back, when the pistol is unloaded and dropping a little oil down the bottom front of the hammer to let it go down to the sear and clean it up a little bit. It could be debris of some kind.

Thanks for your input Tracker! I’ll give that a try. It’s more of an annoyance than anything else. Have you had any experience with Beretta’s drop-in Competition fire control unit? Not chomping at the bit to buy one. I was looking through Beretta’s website and saw it listed.

Competition trigger group

Thanks for your input Tracker! I’ll give that a try. It’s more of an annoyance than anything else. Have you had any experience with Beretta’s drop-in Competition fire control unit? Not chomping at the bit to buy one. I was looking through Beretta’s website and saw it listed.
    I tried the competition trigger group in a full size 40 and in a 45 and did not have any good results. I ended up not using them. The trigger pull measured the same as it did with the standard unit.

However, I have heard of people that do like it a lot. It is not designed to make any difference in your double action pull, but it is supposed to give a better single action pull because of the finish that is applied to the hammer.

It is possible that it could clean up your single action. But it is also possible that a disassembling, cleaning and lubricating could do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    I tried the competition trigger group in a full size 40 and in a 45 and did not have any good results. I ended up not using them. The trigger pull measured the same as it did with the standard unit.

However, I have heard of people that do like it a lot. It is not designed to make any difference in your double action pull, but it is supposed to give a better single action pull because of the finish that is applied to the hammer.

It is possible that it could clean up your single action. But it is also possible that a disassembling, cleaning and lubricating could do that too.

I noticed very little difference in comparison to my broken in stock trigger group so I'm leaving it stock. Seeing your evidence of such long service life I'm keeping it around as a spare for the years to come.

Vending Machine Operator
    Tracker, you're a great example of why I love P-F. I've had a PX4 .40 Fullsize, my first gun, for 14 years. I've shot between 15 and 20K through it (stopped keeping track at 15 but it doesn't "feel" like I've shot 5K more since then). I own a Cougar 8000 and Cougar 8040. I'm probably in the 99th percentile of PX4 shooters for rounds, knowledge of the platform, time used, etc. But compared to you I'm a complete newbie, I've learned as much or more from your posts as I have shooting the dang gun for almost a decade and a half. Always really appreciate a true subject matter expert.

Regarding the D Spring, it's funny, I know it's fully reliable and helpful with the trigger pull, but after 15-20K my PX4 has a great trigger and after so much flawless performance I'm almost superstitious about messing with it.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

@LockedBreech

My experience with the D-spring has been positive. I feel the lighter pull more in DA than in SA mode. The lighter DA pull allows me to enjoy the smooth and consistent action. If my PX4 was converted to a DAO, I'd be totally on board with that. With as many rounds that you have through your PX4, the internals have definitely smoothed out simply through usage. You are probably at the point of having to decide which hammer spring to go with if you begin having misfires. Just my .02. Glad you are enjoying your PX4! Wish I had bought one much sooner than I did.

Vending Machine Operator
    My experience with the D-spring has been positive. I feel the lighter pull more in DA than in SA mode. The lighter DA pull allows me to enjoy the smooth and consistent action. If my PX4 was converted to a DAO, I'd be totally on board with that. With as many rounds that you have through your PX4, the internals have definitely smoothed out simply through usage. You are probably at the point of having to decide which hammer spring to go with if you begin having misfires. Just my .02. Glad you are enjoying your PX4! Wish I had bought one much sooner than I did.
    It's the unsung hero of my collection. Has run like an HK for 14 years despite its humble reputation and shoots .40 S&W like +P 9mm. There's something about a pistol that has never let you down since you couldn't legally drink that is very comforting.

One of the reasons I got the Glock 22 Gen 5 MOS I have incoming - other than identical manual of arms with my Glock 17 Gen 5 and another way to use my large .40 stockpile - was to check out how the PX4 and Gen 5 handle .40, because I've read the Gen 5 .40s basically use a modified .45 GAP slide and are very friendly with .40. I'm mostly a 9mm guy these days but I hike and camp enough that .40 has regular field gun utility for me.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Let us know how you like your .40 Glock. I don't have a .40 caliber in the mix, but would like one just in case the ammo situation goes wonky again.

User Tag List