Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta Px4 - What's in the box now, and Improved Factory Trigger?

Beretta Px4 - What's in the box now, and Improved Factory Trigger?

A compact has been on my list for a while now, as I accept the trigger/decocker on Berettas is just better for me. I have heard they no longer include additional backstraps in the box? Not a deal breaker, but if that's the case I'd buy the largest to have it ready to go.

Also, I have read (admittedly dubious, based on YouTube comments) that the factory trigger pull on these has been improved recently. Is this true? I only ask because recently Beretta Italy took away a lot of the Cx4 carbine's case candy, but they did improve the trigger by a fair amount. I initially read that the same way but was able to confirm when I saw one at a LGS.
    Last edited by GlockenSpiel; 01-03-2022 at 08:10 PM.

I haven't heard about trigger improvements in normal factory Beretta PX4's (or that they don't include all three back straps), but the Langdon models come with the Competition Trigger Group, and Langdon does a trigger job on all the PX4 models he sells.

I purchased a Beretta PX4 compact back in October of 2021. It came with a total of 3 backstraps. I installed the medium-size backstrap. When I first shot the pistol, I thought the DA trigger would never fall. The trigger pull is lengthy and breaks at the end of its arc. I got use to it and not an issue. Some would view that a a measure of safety, giving one a chance to re-evaluate one's decision to shoot if the threat is no more. The SA trigger is typical Beretta 92.

The trigger pull is somewhat heavy, which seems to be the norm for factory DA/SA triggers. I bought a D-spring specific for the PX4. Got it from Beretta. The trigger pull is lighter and 100% function. The pistol eats all bullet weights and standard and +P loads. I don't shoot steel case ammo.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/gun-ac...00-px4-series/

At the bare minimum, go with the PX4 Compact Carry (the "Langdon Edition"); don't even bother with the standard PX4 Compact. If you want to get fancy from there, get some of Langdon's upgrades on it (trigger job, etc.).
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

DA pull and locktime advantage

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I purchased a Beretta PX4 compact back in October of 2021. It came with a total of 3 backstraps. I installed the medium-size backstrap. When I first shot the pistol, I thought the DA trigger would never fall. The trigger pull is lengthy and breaks at the end of its arc. I got use to it and not an issue. Some would view that a a measure of safety, giving one a chance to re-evaluate one's decision to shoot if the threat is no more. The SA trigger is typical Beretta 92.

The trigger pull is somewhat heavy, which seems to be the norm for factory DA/SA triggers. I bought a D-spring specific for the PX4. Got it from Beretta. The trigger pull is lighter and 100% function. The pistol eats all bullet weights and standard and +P loads. I don't shoot steel case ammo.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/gun-ac...00-px4-series/
    I am fortunate to have the input of a lot of PX4 Storm owners around the world and also have not heard anything about changes in factory settings nor supplies, as @JTQ mentioned.

I have found that in some countries (perhaps due to distributor's handling for separate sales) that backstraps have been shorted, but that is not the new default supply.

The main thing I wanted to add to the conversation was from your mentioning of the long pull of the double action stroke of the PX4. I agree that it is different and one can get used to it quickly, especially since it has the advantage that the DA & SA break at the same spot.

I have fired many double action (TDA) pistols (Sig, FN, CZ, Ruger, etc) and find that some have shorter DA pulls. While you mentioned the advantage of the longer pull giving safety to your initial decision time, it also is that way because of a longer locktime.

Locktime (as you already know) is the time and distance of hammer fall from release to striking. Many pistols have a shorter locktime which means that the hammer must be pushed harder and light strikes are more frequent. This is part of why I can get away with a 5 lb, 14 oz DA pull with no light strikes. In effect, the hammer goes back a little closer to where the SA would be, so it hits harder. This is why other brands have light strikes with trigger pulls that are even heavier. I also run the D spring in my defensive Storms. I have 89,900 rounds on one with no light strikes.

Also, the SA on the PX4 is a true SA. Some other brands must have the hammer move back a little before dropping it. So, these characteristics seem to be advantages IMO.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-04-2022 at 12:58 PM.

GlockenSpiel hi,I work for a Beretta Trident Plus dealer and we recently received 5 Compacts in,they included the two extra back straps and I didn't notice any difference in the trigger.I hope this helps.

Name:  745804FA-5AF9-4448-94E4-ECE31050FDCA.jpeg
Views: 1582
Size:  55.4 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

@Storm Tracker

Thanks for your input in this thread. You definitely speak from hands-on experience. I always enjoy reading about your outings with the PX4. Thanks again!

Hi,I asked our Beretta rep and he said there's no changes that he's aware of.

I picked up a used PX4 Compact last year in a trade. It had the Beretta competition trigger set installed (along with other Compact Carry type upgrades). The gun is so nice my shooting partner shot a mag of ten rounds through it and bought a PX4 full size (wherein resides a Langdon trigger job parts kit now - great result with that upgrade).

User Tag List