Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scope choices for Rimfire and Centerfire

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    The cheapest gear is the gear you already own, so all other things being equal, I'd put the VX2 2-7X33s on the 223 and 308, and trade the other two scopes for something that has the right parallax for a 22 RF.

Okie John
    I strongly support this approach. And last I checked you could still send the 2-7 scopes back to Leupold custom shop to have the parallax set where you want it.

But I’m also a sucker for keeping field guns as light as possible. I’d put a 3-9 EFR you already have on the rimfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Precision, LLC View Post
    From what you describe, a "mid-range" variable is the general category I would be looking at 3ish power max on the low end. FFP / SFP in this range category isn't that big a deal to me (like it but dont have to have it) but is a BIG deal to some- have you had a chance to look through a FFP scope on low and High powers? The SWFA 3-9x that others have mentioned is a solid choice (and can usually be picked up second hand on the 'Hide cheap) in this category , non-illuminated, fixed parallax, Japanese Glass, light, has target turrets which makes it a no-go for some hunters.

How is your budget?

A athlon 2.5-15 HMR (capped, Illuminated SFP, decent glass for the pricepoint) might be my lower end pricepoint suggestion. If you can find used (discontinued) bushnell 3-12 LRHS or LRTS scopes they would be solid choices in the FFP hunting category at a mid range pricepoint with NF 2.5x10 at a high end for a price point (even though I would probably personally buy the bushnell over the NF).

Other scopes to consider the aforementioned SWFA 3-9, Burris XTR 2-10, used Weaver 2x10 tactical (discontinued), the trijicon 2-10 credo that is based upon the weaver lineage (if I had to guess), and Vortex PST 2 2x10. All the scopes I listed have a decent reputation for tracking, matched reticle /turrets, some illuminated and some not, some with parallax / some without, and a whole lot of reticles to choose from....There are certainly lighter weight more hunting centric scopes I didn't list but for more of a jack of all trades target/hunting combo rig I like the features more "tactically oriented" scopes offer...
    If I am going to get true value out of getting another scope versus what I current have, I am willing to spend the money on it although I wouldn't want to spend 2 or 3 times the cost of the gun. I don't think I would be shooting enough to ever recoup the cost in added capability. I think at most 1x of the cost of the gun would be reasonable to me. So around $900'ish for the optic.

My brother had a really nice high end FFP scope (I think it was US Optics) back many years ago. I didn't care for it. I preferred SFP views but that is all I have ever really owned. I don't have any experience using ranging reticles or dialing a scope. I have really only ever done the "point and click" while staying within the MPBR of the cartridge I am using although I would use Kentucky Windage for hold overs on my 22 Mag for long shots on muskrats. (My best shot was a 125'ish yard shot down hill using my old Marlin 25N with a Simmons 22 Mag scope, holding on the bottom of the duplex)

The one that I was most interested in was the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5X42 since it has a adjustable parallax. It is also offered in a MOA Dot. With it being a SFP scope, I don't know that the dots would be a value.

https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/tr26-c-200110

I just don't know that I will actually gain anything over my normal "point and click" interface of the Leupolds with duplex reticles that I have now. When shooting at very small vermin and the .22s that I used to have I would sometimes wish I had just a little more magnification and definitely more eye relief as the 3-9 EFR Leupold only has right at 3" when zoomed all the way in and it is a pretty narrow eyepiece.

That potential added capability comes with a 1/2 to 3/4 lb weight penalty though.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    I strongly support this approach. And last I checked you could still send the 2-7 scopes back to Leupold custom shop to have the parallax set where you want it.

But I’m also a sucker for keeping field guns as light as possible. I’d put a 3-9 EFR you already have on the rimfire.
    FWIW, Leupold scopes are pretty easy to reset parallax on. Take the objective ring in front of the gold ring off with a strap wrench, inside you’ll see a spanner cut with the lense. Just screw it out or in until parallax is set where you want it, replace and tighten objective ring back up. It doesn’t take much adjustment.

I looked into doing something similar and the only rimfire scopes I found had standard crosshairs with no holdover hashmarks. Just the crosshair and that's it.

So I'm not sure if they dont make reticles for rimfire with the hashmarks or what the deal is. Curious to find out!

Also curious as to the OP's question on standardization. It does seem harder on rifles than pistols, for sure. But what is the least jarring way to standardize across rifle systems? Obviously stick with either mil or MOA but not mix them up, right? Anything else to avoid to keep things as close as possible within reason?

Site Supporter
    I’ll make an argument against standardization between rimfire and centerfire reticles. Especially if your plan is to use hold offs rather than dialing, a different reticle set up might make it easier to remember to apply the correct hold-off for that rifle/cartridge combo.

ETA: I’m not saying to go moa reticle on one rifle and mil on another.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    Anything else to avoid to keep things as close as possible within reason?
    I would put the exact same scope on all rifles. I have centerfire scopes on all my serious rimfire rifles. I like side focus for parallex adjustment. Make sure the scope will focus down to 25 yards or less.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    I would put the exact same scope on all rifles. I have centerfire scopes on all my serious rimfire rifles. I like side focus for parallex adjustment. Make sure the scope will focus down to 25 yards or less.
    Ahhh, I am not alone in my weirdness.

Assuming your handle is your initials we even have the same initials.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is exactly what I want to do, but I am not sure I will gain anything doing it other than blowing money to gain the satisfaction of having identical scopes on rifles with identical stocks and safety operations.

I am concerned that I might actually be better served spending that cash on ammo and just practicing with the scopes I have since all my scope shooting experience as been with Duplex reticles from mostly Leupold. (That is assuming the other rifles ever come off backorder...)

In my perhaps not-so-informed opinion, you need to match the scope to the mission. There's a huge difference in that regard between a .308 and .22LR.

FWIW, I'm a fan of the Clearidge line of optics for a .22, I'm using the ULTRA XP 4.5-14X40 on my .22. It focuses down to under 30 feet, has decent glass and is well built (enough) for a .22;

My custom .308 wears a SWFA 10X42 HD which suits my needs well;

I think if you take the one-size-fits-all approach, you'll end up with a compromise in all three cases.

Just my 2-cents, FWIW....

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    Ahhh, I am not alone in my weirdness.

Assuming your handle is your initials we even have the same initials.
    Sssshhhh. I'm trying to go low profile here.

It sounds like you have already made the decision on the rifles. I would use the scopes you have for now. Put the 3-9 on the rimfire. For hunting purposes, I would set the rimfire scope parallax to a midpoint that will have it pretty easy to use at the distances you expect to see and leave the parallax alone while hunting.

Then buy a case of quality 22 ammo and learn your scope/rifle combination. If you zero at 25 yards, it will also be zeroed at another distance, probably 50 yards. Learn exactly where it hits at different distances. I have one of these that I move around to different distances. https://www.amazon.com/Do-All-Outdoo...%2C720&sr=8-11

I like big steel targets to see where my rifle hits at different distances. I have an old Pepper Popper painted white, set hard, and I can see the hits and adjust. I've used where the reticle goes from fine to heavy as an aiming point for distance. Find where your rifle hits at different power settings. It will change with the power setting.

Then later you can spend a bunch of money buying newer and better scopes. I've found that light transmission is a big deal.

It's a deep rabbit hole. I shoot with a pretty tough crowd. I went to a local match with 15-20 shooters. Everybody had a Vudoo except the one guy who had an Anschutz.

Everything is a compromise.

My thoughts on using say all SWFA scopes, a 3-9 on hunting rifle, a 6X or a 10x on the target/practice rifle and a 6X or a 10x on the 22 is you’ll have the same reticle and be able to dial on all 3. Targets will look similar. Mechanics will be similar. Weight will be similar. The only real difference will be the dope cards.

If a man wants to practice something, using same or similar tools just makes sense. That’s not saying having having the best scope for each rifle and situation is bad. It’s just that we’re walking here, once we learn to run we can change things up.

User Tag List